Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Petzal is an idiot.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm thinking of the phrase "opinions are like azzholes,,,,,,".

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This ^

Jim
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Never liked him. Too opinionated for me. Can’t back up many of his assertions with facts in my eyes.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently none of you guys can comprehend that Petzal's essentially "trolling," in the same way that often occurs on the Campfire. With magazines articles (though evidently F&S is primarily an on-line rather than paper magazine anymore--and only appears 4 times a year) this means more "eyes on the page," a phrase used in advertising that translates into the ability to charge more for ads.

You've all been trolled--and caught. Which again means more eyes on the page....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Petzal is an idiot.

That would be correct.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Petzal is an idiot.

That would be correct.

Nope. I've known Petzal very well for around 40 years, and he's very smart. He's especially smart enough to troll the average shooter--who often can't tell whether Petzal has his tongue firmly in his cheek. But that's pretty normal.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Apparently none of you guys can comprehend that Petzal's essentially "trolling," in the same way that often occurs on the Campfire. With magazines articles (though evidently F&S is primarily an on-line rather than paper magazine anymore--and only appears 4 times a year) this means more "eyes on the page," a phrase used in advertising that translates into the ability to charge more for ads.

You've all been trolled--and caught. Which again means more eyes on the page....

Yup, clickbait.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe Field & Stream is allowing Chuck Hawks to ghost write for Dave Petzal?

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 05/07/21.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Maybe Field & Stream is allowing Chuck Hawks to ghost write for Dave Petzal?

Nope. Chuck Hawks is a boring writer, which means he's unable to troll.

Petzal isn't a boring writer, which is why he trolls so well.

But he doesn't always troll--though apparently not many readers can tell the difference.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yup, clickbait.

Agreed!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I like Dave Petzel's writing and his dry sense of humor, although I do not agree with him always. I do not agree with any Gunwriter always, even "Mule Deer". He did not offend me one bit and I own one of the cartridges on his list.

Last edited by VaHunter; 05/07/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My god. Anyone who reads that article and doesn't see the sarcasm and dry humor is not comprehending things well.

I like Petzal, for the most part.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the interesting things about "gunwriting" is that many (if not most) readers judge gunwriters by how much the writer agrees with the reader's opinions. This is because almost all avid hunters/handloaders are very experienced with at least a few cartridges and rifles--though they may avoid quite a few others that also work well.

This is one reason I've written articles on a BUNCH of different cartridges and rifles over the decades--and aside from providing useable information, have never written that any round or rifle is a POS. The reason I do this is that, despite some gun-magazine readers saying they'd like to read negative reviews of POS's, 98% really don't. This is partly because many consider reading about POS's a waste of time. Instead they want to read about what works--though some will then bitch that gun magaziines never run "realistic" (negative) reviews.

My writing about a bunch of different rifles and cartridges results in a lot of letters, e-mails, etc. praising me for having the same insightfull opinion as the reader--whether I wrote about the .348 WCF, .257 Weatherby, .30-06 or 7mm Obscure But Wonderful Magnum.

On the other hand, articles like Petzal's can suck in far more readers, the reason magazines (and websites) have been running them forever. But too many such articles become obviously repetitive. Which is why magazines and websites just as often run stuff on why the XYZ cartridge is such an improvement over the old ZYX.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
He should've added all the 6.5's to the list...missed the most obvious one!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MickeyD

You just proved my point.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Instead of berating a good author, how about your top 20?
Not in any certain order....
Aagard, Keith, O'Conner, Seyfried, Milek, Ayoob, Barsness, Bodington, Milek, Skelton, Jordan, Cooper, Adkins, Taffin, Roosevelt.....Taylor, Olson...Speed....Sharpe...

Last edited by John_Boy; 05/07/21.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MickeyD

LOL ! CREEDMOOR ! 🤪

Now you’ve done it ! 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Instead of berating a good author, how about your top 20?
Not in any certain order....
Aagard, Keith, O'Conner, Seyfried, Milek, Ayoob, Barsness, Bodington, Milek, Skelton, Jordan, Cooper, Adkins, Taffin, Roosevelt.....Taylor, Olson...Speed....Sharpe...

You were doing good till you mentioned Ayoob.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,963
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.