Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There's a good chance your first group was just a lucky group. Nothing wrong with 50 yards of your scope parallax well let you do it. Maybe hold your eye back a little until you get some shadow ring and use that to center your eye.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's also a MAJOR factor at work here. Despite all the experts and experience, there's no way to tell WTF happened from reading about the "symptoms" on the Internet.

A good example occurred a year or two ago, when a guy had a rifle shooting a great at 100 yards, but then groups went to hell at 200. There were all the usual guesses--scope parallax, the bullet somehow "destabilizing" in another 100 yards, different range conditions--etc. etc.

After multiple pages of guesses, it turned out the guy's range had different 100 and 200-yard ranges. Consequently he set up at a different bench to shoot at 200--and the rear bag was just behind of the rear sling-swivel stud. Consequently the stud was hitting the bag during recoil.

He tried it again with the rear bag in front of the sling-swivel stud, and the rifle shot groups right in line with those it shot at 100.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There's also a MAJOR factor at work here. Despite all the experts and experience, there's no way to tell WTF happened from reading about the "symptoms" on the Internet.

A good example occurred a year or two ago, when a guy had a rifle shooting a great at 100 yards, but then groups went to hell at 200. There were all the usual guesses--scope parallax, the bullet somehow "destabilizing" in another 100 yards, different range conditions--etc. etc.

After multiple pages of guesses, it turned out the guy's range had different 100 and 200-yard ranges. Consequently he set up at a different bench to shoot at 200--and the rear bag was just behind of the rear sling-swivel stud. Consequently the stud was hitting the bag during recoil.

He tried it again with the rear bag in front of the sling-swivel stud, and the rifle shot groups right in line with those it shot at 100.

Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Hmm. Variables that come to mind - without judgement - just spitballing.

Morning coffee? Maybe it’s not a good load after all? Stock creating unequal pressure on one side/portion of the barrel? Same front bag, same rear bag? Fore end location on the front bag always the same? Front or rear sling swivel stud dragging on the bags? Clean barrel/fouled barrel? Was the action removed from the stock between sessions - if so were action screws re-tightened similarly?

I’d vet the load with other supporting sources & perhaps drop down to the starting load just to shoot light loads and confirm that flinching isn’t subconsciously part of the equation.

*Not a gun writer here but have experienced the same as you & these were the things I considered.

Possibly so, just like PistolCraft mentioned in his post on the first page of this thread, RJ

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
at my rifle range which is only a 25 yard pit /100 yard berm and also at other ranges i have seen and heard many odd / weird things , even people shooting some rifles with bad scopes but bottom line we all need to help shooters for safety reasons. rather your a doctor, dentist , teacher , writer, farmer, truck driver , salesman or like many of us just a retired blue color worker who just like to hear a gun go bang. its all about fun , being positive and helping all shooters.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pistolcraft,

Yes, I saw that post, but the sling-swivel stud suggestion was semi-buried among a list of possibilities.

The amazing thing about he thread I mentioned is that it went on...and on...and on.... Only after a pile of posts, most super-technical, did the simple solution appear--and far more often than not the simplest solution turns out to work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes John, threads like these can definitely "over think" a problem. RJ

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Well I managed to get back to the range and shot the tried and true 48gr of h4895 and a 225 gr Sierra. As usual the groups ranged from 1.25 to 1.5 at a 100 yards with the scope set on 6X. I went to the 200 grain bullet a Remington PSP and 49gr, 49.5gr and the 50gr load that started this thread. 49.5 proved to be the best with the groups about the same as the 225gr load averaging just a touch over 1.25 inches at 100 yards. This was three three shot groups with each load. The cloverleafed group at 50 yards must have just been the gun Gods smiling on me but the 49.5 grain load will be fine for the application I'll use this for. I wish I had the chronograph with me but I didn't. Next time it will go along as I need to load up for deer season and check the zero before I hunt with it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like you will now at least have some confidence in you rifle and load, Good hunting! RJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GSPfan
The cloverleafed group at 50 yards must have just been the gun Gods smiling on me

Yeah, a single 3-shot group can give false confidence; something that's happened an untold number of times to shooters and hunters through the years.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The cloverleafed group at 50 yards must have just been the gun Gods smiling on me

Yeah, a single 3-shot group can give false confidence; something that's happened an untold number of times to shooters and hunters through the years.

Yep.
That's why a lot of guys don't want to hear about your single best 3 shot group. Want to hear about your 10 shot group, or 2 consecutive 5 shot groups, or 3 or 4 consecutive 3 shot groups....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Amen to that!

Most of these 'fixes' are just basics not being taken care of. And usually, the basics are the details that get omitted. wink

Good shootin'.-Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Al!

Yep, they're usually simple stuff. One of my buddies phoned me in a panic a few years ago, saying he thought the barrel of his .270 Weatherby Magnum was "shot out," since it started shooting 2-inch groups. I asked how many times he'd fired the rifle, and he guessed about 500--which I automatically divided by two, having found that guys who guess how many rounds they shoot don't shoot all that many. I said I'd take a look at it--and the bore was essentially copper-plated. He had "cleaned" it a number of times, but not with a solvent that would get rid of much (if any) copper. I really cleaned it, and the rifle started shooting great again.. (Oh, and my borescope only showed a slight amount of throat erosion, about what I'd expect in a .270 Weatherby Magnum after maybe 200 rounds.)

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer,

I hear 'ya. Most of the 'trouble' I see and am asked to help with is very, very basic stuff. Your Weatherby experience reminds me of a pals 25-06 that I pillar bedded and did load work for. Over the next 12 years, it worked great on antelope, white tails, big mule deer and a couple of black bears. When I'd initially done the work, I set him up with some good cleaning gear...a Delrin rod guide with solvent port, Dewey rod, bronze brushes, Dewey jag, good patches, Shooters Choice solvent, Hoppes #9 for long term storage, etc.

Fast forward a dozen years and he brings the 300 cases I'd originally done and loaded for it back to me to be processed, along with the rifle. All the cleaning stuff was still in the original packages and in the exact cardboard box I'd sent the stuff home in with him all those years before.

The primer pockets on about 100 cases had been rattled pretty hard..the result of "Some prairie dogs I shot" on a scorching August day.

The bore looked like a copper mine. I just cleaned it, dropped the IMR4831 down a full grain, rezero'd it and sent it home with him. He's piled up a bunch of critters since with it.

I wonder how many scopes have been replaced and guns sold/traded when all they needed was a little love, maintainence and attention to basics?

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thats some good info to remember.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Welcome to reality.

First thing, 3 shots is not enough to tell you a load is good. It can be enough to tell you a load is no good because a group won't get any smaller if you add more holes, but you can wobble 3 shots together fairly often even with a bad load.

Load testing at 50 yards is an absolute waste of components with a rifle. Do your testing at the maximum distance you might shoot. You can reasonably interpolate but you cannot extrapolate.

Tom

Actually, he had a 6-shot group. He simply adjusted his scope after 3 shots. I have a rifle that will cut a 3/4" circle @ 50 yards - 10 shots. It will hold 3/4" out to 100 yards. It will hold 1-1/2" out to 200 yards with the same load. I have a sporter weight barrel, so shooting a 10-shot group is not needed. A 5-shot 1-1/2" group gets the job done.

I do agree that 50 yards is not the proving distance. But nothing wrong as a starting point for new load development.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Switching to decaf solved some of my shooting issues. You aren't a machine or shooting exactly the same way each time. Even putting down the rifle to look through the spotting scope will result in a different hold for the next shot. I was pretty surprised how just moving the front bag back farther toward the receiver tightened my groups. Helping guys sight in for the deer season was always an exercise in decorum for me when they thought it might be their load, scope mount or other excuse when I knew darn well that they wiggled.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Windfall
Switching to decaf solved some of my shooting issues. You aren't a machine or shooting exactly the same way each time. Even putting down the rifle to look through the spotting scope will result in a different hold for the next shot. I was pretty surprised how just moving the front bag back farther toward the receiver tightened my groups. Helping guys sight in for the deer season was always an exercise in decorum for me when they thought it might be their load, scope mount or other excuse when I knew darn well that they wiggled.

Yep. That's the thing about taking the time to do load developement and shooting on a regular basis. Once dialed in, you have pretty much eliminated all excuses. If you miss...its the shooter. Humbling!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Yep.
That's why a lot of guys don't want to hear about your single best 3 shot group. Want to hear about your 10 shot group, or 2 consecutive 5 shot groups, or 3 or 4 consecutive 3 shot groups....

Its "happened to an untold number of times to shooters and hunters throughout the years" because of ignorance. They won't admit it though and keep shooting those 3 shot groups, thinking when they shoot a one holer, they are good to go. Generally not the case. Again, 50 yards is not the place to be checking cernterfire rifles. Rimfire, maybe, but not centerfires. Regardless of how many shots are fired.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, 50 yard testing for centerfire rifles can be VERY useful--especially in windy conditions. This is because wind-drift at 50 yards is about 1/4 as much as at 100 yards, in the same conditions. But this required some comprehension of the effect of scope parallax, which many shooters don't understand--or, especially, don't understand how to compensate for.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.