W
I'm cheap, but fair is fair.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I usually give 20%. Recently went to a restaurant that added 18% to the check. It was just my wife and I. I didn't like them adding it without notices before hand. But I figured I saved 2%.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Tipping (and the amount) is solely at the discretion of the individual, and the "minimal amount/percentage" that some feel everyone should pony up automatically irregardless of service, attitude, and competence is laughable and ludicrous. You're $$ and your decision gentlemen, and while the intention of most may seem to be well placed, the culture in general regarding tipping and what is now expected is downright stupid and ill serving.

"Irregardless", not a word.

Small tip for you.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OGB
Tipping (and the amount) is solely at the discretion of the individual, and the "minimal amount/percentage" that some feel everyone should pony up automatically irregardless of service, attitude, and competence is laughable and ludicrous. You're $$ and your decision gentlemen, and while the intention of most may seem to be well placed, the culture in general regarding tipping and what is now expected is downright stupid and ill serving.

Small tip for you.

Obliged! lol

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OGB

Small tip for you.

Obliged! lol

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B2

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OGB

Small tip for you.

Dang, beat me to it. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I usually tip at least 20%, many times more, but tipping has gone full retard in the U.S. A $12 tip at a breakfast place for refilling a cup of coffee? That's crazy and the problem is that it gradually becomes expected as more and more people try to be the big man thinking that cute waitress will actually give you the time of day. Now fast food places are expecting tips for handing you a bag with a burger and fries in it, many even have the tip on the screen if you pay by credit, all for a "server" that never took a step away from the cash register.

Dillonbuck is right, our country is one of the few places where you're expected to tip. I travel for work and in the far east you don't tip, in Japan it's considered an insult to offer a tip, you're basically telling them that they're beneath you. In Europe it's basically round up the change, you'll never see a european leaving a 20% tip in a restaurant, it'll be a couple of euros at most.

I tip more than most because I don't want to be "that guy", but the system is screwed up when we've allowed restaurant owners to shift the burden of paying their employees wages on to the customer instead of themselves. In the long run you're not helping the server so much as padding the restaurant's profit margin.

This and then some, I just hate eating out anymore period. Mb

Excellent post. I would also ask why the tip is expected to be a percentage of the total bill instead of a flat amount.

So the same tip whether serving 10 people or 1?

No, but why a percentage? If they all had hamburgers instead of T-bones, why should the tip be different?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My wife, and I were at the Riverview Lodge in Dryden.

I thought some of switching tips with another table.
laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's OK to not view everything through a frugality lens.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by OGB

Small tip for you.

Dang, beat me to it. laugh

It is a recognized word in the English language.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Had a guy invited by a friend of mine to his lake house for three days of fishing, he brought one steak and two potatoes. He’ll forever be known as “Two tater Tommy”

Dad had a saying: "Ring the doorbell with your elbow because your arms should be full."

Okay a question. Say you go into a family restaurant, sit at the bar and order a to go meal. Do you tip the same as if you did the meal sit down at one of their tables?

Last edited by Windfall; 05/08/21.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Funny when people, in the later years of their lives, still are cheapskates and selfish and still trying trying scam freebies and freeload. Cant take money with you when you're dead. You should be charitable in the later stages of your life. And not just money.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Had a guy invited by a friend of mine to his lake house for three days of fishing, he brought one steak and two potatoes. He’ll forever be known as “Two tater Tommy”

Dad had a saying: "Ring the doorbell with your elbow because your arms should be full."

great quote

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My old man used to tell of a restaurant owner always taking his parts/oil/filter/etc to the auto dealer for service and demanding a discount on services. Subsequently, the dealer showed up for breakfast one morning packing his own eggs.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In 1978 when i was 15 i got a job as a busboy at a VERY busy pizza place,it was next to a movie theater,so it would be line out the door full, at midnight on a Saturday.Back then in N.Y. you could pay under minimum wage if you got tips.I made $1.75 an hour,but on a busy night i got $150 to $175 in tips.
Later they opened a fancy resturant next door and i became a waiter ,made even more,most people tipped and tipped well.Except old ladies at Sunday brunch.A waiter or Waitress that works hard,gets a good tip,If they are on their phone and clueless,they get nothing and i ll stop and tell the manager why.
The resturant i worked at is still in business,everyone knows it,once i tell the manager i worked there for 5 years and know the business,they know i m not talking out my ass and they need to do some motivating.Tip for good service,tip well for excellent service,don t tip at all for bad service.
One of the best things i ever did was get my daughter a job there when she was in high school,that kid learned how to MOVE ,how to HUSTLE.It served her well in life.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I once had to go out to a guy's home and appraise a bunch of rifles. He owned a township (36 sections) where this home was as well as homes in Miami, New York, and London. He had some nice but not spectacular, guns. Anyway, I showed up early in the morning and was about halfway through the list by noon. He invited me to lunch and I was anticipating a pretty good feed. I got Campbells tomato soup and some crackers. At the end of the day, he handed me a hundred dollars for the day. He was a cheapskate but, apart from that, he was a nice enough guy and the visit was a change from another day in the shop, where I would have earned about four times as much, minus the lunch.
I came out better than one of the salesmen from the store I contracted to. He went out to the home of another very wealthy industrialist and spent a full day chronographing and testing rifles in preparation for the gentleman's trip to Zimbabwe. At the end of the day, he was packing up his gear and the client reached out and tucked a bill into Buddy's pocket. He didn't even look at it; so as not to appear too crass. On the drive back to town he reached into his pocket to pull out what he was sure was going to be a hundred dollar tip. He was brought down hard when he unfolded a nice five dollar bill!
On the other side of the coin, I once guided a couple of elk hunters, just ordinary guys, hardwood loggers from back east. We had packed in to one of the spike camps and, after I got them settled, I hiked back out (about four miles) and packed in a case of beer for them. One of them had cooked up some sausage and beans while I was gone and when, after we had eaten, I unwrapped that case of beer, I thought they were going to cry. At the end of the hunt, during which they shot no elk but saw a lot of game (including a really big grizzly, close up), they tipped me way beyond what I thought they should. In truth, the hunt had been so enjoyable, I felt they should not have paid at all. GD

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1minute
My old man used to tell of a restaurant owner always taking his parts/oil/filter/etc to the auto dealer for service and demanding a discount on services. Subsequently, the dealer showed up for breakfast one morning packing his own eggs.

Too funny! I’d have loved to see it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a pretty generous tipper, often to the chagrin of my wife, even tipping the gas station attendant (no self-serve in NJ), but I noticed a tip jar on the counter at the local bait shop. Is that going a bit too far?

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The cheapest............... those that take a 'buy-one-get-one' coupon to the local Olive Garden/Fridays/chain whatever and then tip 'light' on the bill, NOT what the bill would have been..........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
onetime when we still had the place in Duval County, one of my cousins wanted to hunt so I invited him... he showed up with his wife and a friend with his wife... when they left he took everything from the fridge..., f-cking mescan's why I don't talk to them anymore.

I had only invited him the rest were a surprise.

Last edited by stxhunter; 05/08/21.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 3040Krag, 50 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.