Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Wisconsin hunters killed 150 to 200 in 3 days , and last week I went to NW Wis. and it was still loaded with wolf sign. I only got 1 wolf on the cam last winter so they were not in the area but a pack no doubt moved in and likely were 4 different wolves according to the tracks. The truth is though, that the wolves had a very hard time this winter. I suspect more starved than were killed by hunters and trappers. I saw wolf poop that had very little hair in it and was more green than I have seen in a long time. This tells me they are eating grass. I have seen coyote poop in Deer season that was almost all green. I am sure they eat grass here and there, however, this tells me they are starving . Has anyone else ever seen that before?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There all over the place in one area around here,find the elk and the wolves are there..

Jayco 👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho trappers I know don't want this, fearing the feds could step back into regulating them under the ESA if the numbers are below a certain number.
With Biden and his gang of environmental lunatics in charge, that's the last thing you want.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huggers, via the courts will hold this up for years.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ya it's too bad,even as legal as killing wolves are now,there's a lot of SSS still going on or just the Shoot and shut up and leave 'em lay...

Jayco👍

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Left doesn't give a $hit about wildlife. They see wolves as a tool..... to rid public lands of hunters and ranchers.

The Left use wolves as a tool to eliminate/reduce elk, deer, moose, etcetera which in turn reduces/eliminates the number of hunters in the field.

Likewise the Left use wolves as a tool to increase livestock losses which in turn drives ranching off of public lands.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There was an interesting article in our local paper a while back about wolves and cattle. Seems that after cattle have been chased by wolves, they can't be herded by stock dogs. They'll chase the dogs instead of running from them. A fully trained dog can cost $5000 but 1 dog will replace 2 men on horses. They pay for themselves very fast. Ranchers are having to go back to hiring cowboys because of the wolves.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Are they going to make dogs a legal method of hunting wolves?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck:

Yes. Heard some similar comments on dog utility several years back. Dogs actually became a hindrance.

A coworker ran some trials here using stock from the Idaho side of the Snake with wolf experience and our local Hereford/Angus that had never seen/heard/smelled wolves. The design was a randomized pen arrangement with wolf pee dispensed upwind, recorded howls via a primo sound system, and some well trained German Sheperds racing down the alleyways. Our local stock gathered along the fences curious to see what all the excitement was about. The Idaho stock gathered mid-pen doing tail in defensive circles.

Pre-trial blood samples showed similar cortizol levels, and post trial samples revealed elevated cortizols (stress indicator) in the Idaho stock.

Another acquaintance GPS collared some cattle again in the Snake River Canyon, and his animated data showed several instances of cattle suddenly doing 3 or 4 mile midnight dashes to lower elevations. I've run similar gear on Oregon cattle and a nighttime move of a 100 yds or more is extremely rare. They typically make some small movements around mid-night that are most likely pee and poop breaks.

Many years back a Montana rancher with leases near Yellowstone gave a presentation at a Range Management conference in Spokane, Wa. When the big bears began coming out of the park, his cattle all gathered in the middle of about a 50 square mile leased allotment, and one could not get them to disperse. The following year the cattle broke out after a week and trailed about 25 miles back to HQ on their own. Year three, they herded them up and the cattle turned and beat the troops home. Yes, it's great if we have a few predators around. If one is a stock grower, and they're in your back yard though, it's a significant deal.

Lastly, two years back I expended 21 years worth of preference points for what I was hoping would be a chance at some Booner bulls in NE Oregon. Booked the best outfit for 6 days with their pre-hunt comments being I'd be done in 3. We did hear wolves early on, and it was 11 days into my 6-day hunt before I was able to push the safety off for a medium 6 by. Can't prove it, but I don't think the wolves were helping.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/15/21.

1Minute
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Coyotes don't get the damnation they deserve by a long shot.
This is true. I hope Idaho kills every wolf they’ve got. The coyotes are out of control in western Oregon. I kill a dozen a year on my place alone on average and the last month I’ve killed 5

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.