Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by mathman
If it all mates up right. It seems like with production tolerances the lug on the rail would need to be "file to fit" to get the right contact.

Exactly, the chances of an underlug contacting the front face of the rear receiver ring precisely enough to mitigate some of the recoil is slim to none.

I just mounted a Badger Ordnance rail to a M700 and the recoil lug engages the front face of the receiver like a glove. Perhaps I just got lucky.

The Badgers screw holes are slightly elongated to allow some 'wiggle room' to contact the receiver. At least that's the way the Badger was I put on my 700.

He went over yonder way
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
What model number of the Weaver rail has a lug and what does it fit? I'd like to try one.

for the long action Mfg# 99502
for the short action Mfg # 99503

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by pullit
What model number of the Weaver rail has a lug and what does it fit? I'd like to try one.

The pictures on Weaver's website don't show a recoil lug. Am I missing something or did they change the design?

He went over yonder way
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by Dans40X
Ken Farrell rails & rings & don't look back.

op,
400 series magnetic stainless will rust/corrode,since it has basically more chrome that chrome moly 4130 steels.

300 series non-magnetic stainless will NOT rust/corrode,but is NOT heat treatable & basically has more nickel added.

I wanted to purchase a KF rail, but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone or return an email, so Badger sold me a rail.

I've owned a Farrell, it sits up too high compared to others...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heeler

The pictures on Weaver's website don't show a recoil lug. Am I missing something or did they change the design?

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. The 99503 I bought a couple months ago doesn't have any kind of recoil lug.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Murphy is also tall so you just use low rings. .820 rings and the Murphy will clear upto a 44mm obj no problem with caps on it. Murphy is available in 17-4 SS and Titanium but they are also over $140 now. The Titanium is around $160 but they are excellent rails. 17-4 is stronger and more corrosion resistant that 416.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Heeler

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. The 99503 I bought a couple months ago doesn't have any kind of recoil lug.

They may have changed them but the tactical rails I have, has the recoil lug. After seeing this thread I goggled weaver L/A tactical rail and found on on ebay for $20 something dollars so I bought it. I may be in for a let down when it gets here.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't see a lug on my Weaver,,, but not sure why its needed. I've never had a base shear off...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Overkill45
The Murphy is also tall so you just use low rings. .820 rings and the Murphy will clear upto a 44mm obj no problem with caps on it. Murphy is available in 17-4 SS and Titanium but they are also over $140 now. The Titanium is around $160 but they are excellent rails. 17-4 is stronger and more corrosion resistant that 416.

If you call Cameron Murphy, he will machine your rail to a lower height than what he lists. RJ

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I don't see a lug on my Weaver,,, but not sure why its needed. I've never had a base shear off...

If it is not the Tactical model, it will not have the lug.
I never have had one shear off either but I started using them several years ago, they worked well and were cheap compared to other rails so I kept on using them.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
According to what was posted earlier, the tactical rail may not have it anymore either.

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
99502 is the SKU for a Weaver 20 moa tactical rail...with LUG.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
In profile you cannot see under the rail. The lug is hidden by the side view of the radius.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have 3 or 4 Weaver Tacticals for Rem short actions. All have the recoil lug. The screw holes are slightly elongated to allow abutment of the lug when slight variations of distance is encountered.

I don't know if they advertise the type of aluminum used, but it's not dead sounding or soft. I suspect 7075, which is wonderful stuff in my book. If 6061, that's OK too.

A friend didn't like the screw holes when we first looked them over, but I felt the screw head holds & if the part was dependent on the screw shank to counteract recoil them something was loose or going wrong anyway. Then when I noticed the recoil lug & the reason for the elongated holes I was really OK with them.

I don't have plans for many more needs of tactical type 700 bases, but at about 32 bucks, it would be another Weaver. Heck of a bargain IMO, & one of the lower in height ones available as well.

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Back when all high powered air guns had a heavy internal spring...all sorts of scopes and mounts failed...yup from an airgun. Any way, better scopes and mounts were designed using...a lug. Usually just a large 6MM pin built into the underside of the rail, that fit into a hole on the receiver top. I have twice as many rails as guns to put them on and have ordered more...keeps me out of the bars...I guess. It would take very little to add a lug to the standard rails. Even a half disk of JB after the rail is fitted and fastened could not hurt anything.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nary a lug on a 99503 purchased within the last couple months from SWFA.

[Linked Image]

I don't doubt they had a lug at one time as the instructions say to push forward on the rail before tightening screws, which would make sense with a lug. Bu I'd be surprised if any new production has them.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 05/05/21.
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
We wait....( orders have been shipped, should arrive Friday)

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It is easy enough to drill and tap the underside of a rail and install a #10-32 allen head cap screw on the underside of the rail in a position that it abutts against the front receiver ring when the rail is installed. RJ

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
rj...Exactly but grind the screw cap a little flat on the contact area...good timing you could call it. If I were back in the shop I would cut a dove tail cross slot and fit a Stellite recoil lug. 'Hold against even the stoutest .222 recoil !

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by rj308
Originally Posted by Overkill45

If you call Cameron Murphy, he will machine your rail to a lower height than what he lists. RJ

Ive talked to him. No need to do that though since .820" tall 30mm rings are not uncommon. Ive got 2 in rings this size with 44mm obj. The fit is very good on the Murphy rail. If you went with a 40mm obj you may want to do that but you can get rings well under .820" tall in 1inch. They probably will be Weaver spec rings though. I just dont care for Weaver rings on a picatinny rail. They normally work but if you are spending the coin on a top shelf rail then buy the good rings too. Seekins makes a short 1" ring but im pretty sure the cross bar is Weaver spec.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
575 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.