Campfire Regular
R
Great article! Almost as funny as Pat McManus

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Kind of a silly article and mostly meaningless but about what I expect in most mainstream magazines. From the time I was about 15, I figured I knew as much as most gun writers and ten years later, I was sure I did. Fast forward another forty years though and it occurred to me, most of these guys probably shot way more than I did. While I was building rifles, they were shooting them and a lot of these writers were far from stupid. In some cases, it was plain, these writers could out shoot me on the best day I ever saw. So, with the wisdom maturity brings, I am much more tolerant of the fluff pieces and I know they are not always reflective of the writer's knowledge or experience. While the writers may not tell me anything I don't already know, they can often give me new perspective while providing some entertainment along the way. BTW, I'm a 7mm Weatherby fan too! GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’d like to sit down with DP and find out out how he really feels. I go for cutting witticisms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Oh my...

Watch those toes.

Ha!

... especially #10.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When a writer comes out and writes stupid stuff like he did, I make a mental note: Do not read any of his articles again.

However, there is a writer that writes lots of articles on Handloader and Rifle who came out with a rather stupid statement like Petzal did, that is making a statement about how one cartridge is better than another (when he didn't know that I have knowledge that is different regarding his very uninformed and "stupid" opinion). Clearly, he should have checked with me first before writing his uninformed article.

However, I may be one of the 1% who would like to read what is wrong with a certain rifle, pistol, scope, etc. - in particular a small manufacture's equipment that I have little knowledge.

I have my favorite rifles and no one better put them down, ha ha. But I try different manufacture's rifles, pistols, scopes etc. (AKA "stuff") and when I have read nothing but good things about such "stuff" and the equipment is unknown to me. Then I find that the "stuff" needs a lot of work right out of the box, won't feed cartridges, has the wrong twist, won't work well in low light, has parts that break - often or whatever. It is at that time, I wish a person who wrote about such "stuff" would have been more honest in his review.

And as several people pointed out -- 6.5 cartridge's suck!

Last edited by Bugger; 05/08/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dave would have a ball here before he got tired of it. 😉. Probably the same day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can’t really categorize his obvious baiting as trolling. Gunwriters are, among other things, entertainers, and are paid to draw readers (and generate internet hits) because that’s the economics of publishing. It would appear that even though the baiting is obvious, fans of his picks are still annoyed. I stopped worrying about what others thought about my choices in cartridges and rifles long ago. Hell, I’ve got two .270s!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I liked this quote from the comments below the article.
"It's like every ridiculous old man comment I hear across the table at gun shows rolled into one comically ingenious piece. But I'm pretty sure this was meant to be published on the Onion's website."

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buttstock
I guess the only best to objectively counter Petzal's list is to submit your own on this thread. I don't think he was too far off on many of his selections, and the "reasoning" was readable. Ok, how many use the 378 Weatherby??? In some ways, the entire list could be Weatherby cartridges, aside from the 300 Bee.

Make it easy and quick. Post YOUR top 3 over-rated cartridges: (no trolling allowed). We know the result a will offend others because it is subjective, but what the neck. Every cartridges has a niche ( A 45-70 can't compete with a 300 Win mag as a 400 yard elk rifle). Some cartridges just aren't popular ( you habe to be RATED to be considered OVER-RATED) .Fire away. Let's see how you do. T'aint so easy.

Top 3 overrated cartridges: (mine)
1. 357 mag. (give me a moderate-loaded 44 mag anytime)
2. 243 Win. (too big to be small, too small to be big. I'll take the man bun 6.5 CM instead)
3. 327 Mag (not really sure if it is "rated", but I don't get it none the less).

I'll play:
1) 17 HMR - too much for squirrels and not enough ass for groundhogs

2) 223 Remington - The 221 Fireball and 222 Remington can do anything it can do with lighter bullets with less powder and recoil. It does not have enough power to throw the heavier bullets. At best it's a compromise.

3) 243 Winchester - It's never been a consistently accurate cartridge for me. I have owned several and could never keep one. It is the inferior to the 6mm Remington.

I hope I make Petzal proud.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I quit caring what gun writers had to say years ago. I don't understand the need for approval/agreement from a gun writer that many experienced hunters/shooters seem to crave.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I quit caring what gun writers had to say years ago. I don't understand the need for approval/agreement from a gun writer that many experienced hunters/shooters seem to crave.

I feel the same way about certain forum blowhards.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Not me i enjoy learning new and old things , i really enjoy learning some of the history of rifles and cartridges John Barsness post on 24 hr. campfire and writes in magazines. there are many other gun writers that are also great to read about too , even reloading can help a person .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Praise the Lord, I don't own even one on the list. But I did have 2 different 7mm RMs in the past. Couldn't justify the recoil for the benefit which for my purposes was negligible compared to .30-06 and .270W. He seems to be against sharp shouldered cartridges and I am also somewhat. I owned a 6.5 Creedmoor for a while and it was not smooth feeding in a Savage 16 while the 2 Savage 16 .308Ws I owned chambered up nicely.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve always liked Petzal’s writing and wit.

Keeps it interesting.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only watched it after reading the responses.

Have or would have several of those.
Can't say I feel he is too far off on his comments.

And such a list is bound to offend.

I could add the 270 and 45acp to the list.
Petzal uses both as good in his comparasons.
To hear some talk, the 270 is everything for everything.
And the 45 can stop a man just by being pointed.
If that isn't overrated, what is?

Notice, at no point did I state they weren't great rounds.
Just that it's common to pretend they are mystical.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
CRS

Your last question and hypothesis is:

"Why does Petzal have to troll? Possibly when one does not have anything substantial to say and needs to generate traffic?"

Might it be that it's not D P who is trolling but Field & Stream ?
How strong is their readership? I suspect they need help!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I found it interesting, but came away indifferent towards it, as my personal experience with the 7mag over the past 40 years told me he's out in left field on that cartridge.

I agree JG. However, I 'never' bought 'one' box of Factory 7 RM ammo NOR have I shot 'one' round of Factory 7 RM
ammo. Also in 40 ish years NO ONE has asked me to chronograph 'one' round of Factory 7 RM ammo.

So comments pertaining to Factory 7 RM ammo 'might' be right. I don't know.

OTOH - I have graphed more 'handloads' for 7 RM than I can remember. A LOT.

Being a 'former' Hagel ite, I can tell you the 270 W (which I have & like) can't even catch the DUST of a good Handload
for the 7 RM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What I find interesting is how many hit this lure so hard.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's partly because so many readers are easily lured, much like a stocked trout, but partly because Petzal's such an experienced angler he can hook even more experienced fish.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like petzal

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 3,326 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.