Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by RinB

Where does the “front shoulder” end and the “rear shoulder” begin?

Between. Forward a bit is my preference.

Last edited by las; 05/05/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Thumbcocker: I have shot MANY dozens of medium size Big Game animals with the wonderful Nosler 130 grain Partitions.
This was my "go to" bullet for several decades.
Virtually everyone of the game animals (Blacktailed Deer, Antelope, Mule Deer and Whitetailed Deer) were shot intentionally, and patiently, through the heart/lungs!
NO bloodshot issues occurred.
The listed animals, above, gave NO tracking problems what so ever - they either fell near the spot shot or dashed 100 yards and fell bled out!
Like another poster replied - don't shoot them in the meat (shoulders, neck, backbone etc) shoot them through the heart/lungs - problems solved.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for the info. I have used 150 grain speer hot core for years. Almost never a problem with blood shot meat. The 130 partiton is the only weight partiton that will shoot well in my 270,

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have shot deer with the 150 grain partiton in a 7mm saum. Very little blood shot meat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything moving 3K+ is going to make a mess.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bellydeep

You're probably right. I was thinking that a partition would hold together better.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I loaded 130gr NPT's for an old Man over IMR-7828 until the old Guy could no longer hunt, would hear him shoot, i was never far away, neither were his deer, hope that helps, he had an old BDL 270 Winchester with a 3-9 redfield TV? reticle, i miss that old Cat.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

You're probably right. I was thinking that a partition would hold together better.

It's a Partition.

The front core is soft and smears away pretty quickly, hence the reason they kill rather quickly.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Have you tried a 130gr Barnes? They have worked well for me in two different 270s for Deer, Elk, and Antelope.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by BWalker
Dont shoot them in the meat. Problem solved.

Yep, depends on where one shoots them. In the ribs, not an issue, in the front shoulder, lots of bloodshot meat due to hydrostatic shock.

Just about any expanding bullet ruins even more meat if you shoot them in the rear shoulder....

Here is the truth. Here in the South, we get a very liberal limit on deer. I use several bullets that all work very well. but Remember what Mule deer said.

So, where do you shoot a deer to not get blood shot meat = rear or back of the lungs. Back of the lungs breaks the diaphragm and is a very deadly shot. The Wife and I eat around 6 deer per year, jerky, ground , cube steak are our cuts. The 130g Hornady sp flat base think it is a partition.

Shoulder shots ruin both shoulders, 8" behind the shoulder is a great shot placement, but a guy often has to take a shot on a running or trotting deer when deer are in the rut. For standing shots 200 yds and under, the neck shot in front of the shoulder is a great shot, and we use 4-16 scopes for just these kinds of shots.

I have one old Ruger boat paddle 270 that has killed 150+ deer with the 150g Rem Core loct's factory ammo that belonged to my next door neighbor, and the 150g Core loct bullet is a very tough bullet, 3x9 Leupold compact and 110g ttsx is what it shooting now at 3300fps.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Region6

Have you tried a 130gr Barnes? They have worked well for me in two different 270s for Deer, Elk, and Antelope.

My 270 doesn't like boat tail bullets. The one on the partition is smaller than a normal boat tailed bullet. The 130 is the only partition my 270 shoots well.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What Varmint Guy said. I have killed a lot of animals with the 270/130 partition. The wound channel is like coring an apple, not the vast amounts of bloodshot meat you get with some other bullets. the least destructive, effective bullet I have ever used.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve taken several blacktail and mule deer, a couple of elk and a mountain goat with the 130gr partition.
They work as advertised, but I didn’t think any better than the Hornady soft points and just use them these days.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by BWalker
Dont shoot them in the meat. Problem solved.

Yep, depends on where one shoots them. In the ribs, not an issue, in the front shoulder, lots of bloodshot meat due to hydrostatic shock.

Just about any expanding bullet ruins even more meat if you shoot them in the rear shoulder....

That's why I always aim for the front hind quarter.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

The listed animals, above, gave NO tracking problems what so ever - they either fell near the spot shot or dashed 100 yards and fell bled out!

I have been trying for years to get a consistent definition of "DRT" or "short" tracking jobs from folks on here. An antelope sprinting 100 yards before cartwheeling is usually no big deal. A blacktail doing so on POW could be a serious issue.

Honestly though "no tracking" and most especially "DRT" to me isn't synonymous with 100 yard death runs even if I watch them fall and don't need to actually track it down. DRT, to me at least, means they don't take a single step.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Shoot them just as they exhale, they will be DRT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith
Shoot them just as they exhale, they will be DRT.

Same with a shoulder shot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A 270 with a 130 grain running fast can blood shoot some meat no mater what bullet you use if the shots are at 200 yards and closer. Partitions do, but no worse then any other and not as bad as some. Any bullet that impacts at between 3150 and about 2750 is going to do some amount of bloodshooting just because of speed. Bullets that blow up do more damage, and the front end of a Partition can blow up at high impact speeds. I used 130 grain partitions for quite a few kills in the 70s and then I tried 150s and found I liked them better and in both my 270s they were also more accurate, so I switched. I shoot them between 2875 and 2975 from various rifles and that's still fast, but I found they did less damage to the meat than the 130s did. Now I use 130s in one rifle just because it shoot them VERY well, and in my other two 270s I use 150s and 160s .
But overall I can't say much bad about 130 gr Partitions. If you typical shot is at 150 and farther you'll love them, and if you kill game under 130 they are a bit hard on meat, but not so hard that I'd give up on them

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by gunscrew
don't like tracking deer, will trade a little meat for dead right there.

Probably a regional thing. I hunt thick nasty azz creek bottoms and want em dead fast. I don't like dragging them back across creeks.

Water may not be but knee deep but the banks may be 15' vertical and slick bastards. Try dragging a 200# buck up one of those boogers.

Sarcasm On:

If you'd buy an Uberlanche and 2Mi of winch-cable, none of that would matter.

Sarcasm Off:

While a messy shoulder certainly doesn't look appealing, how many # of meat does the peanut gallery say one actually loses if you have to toss the whole thing? I suspect it depends upon how much facia (silver-skin) a person is willing to toss into their grind. Even if one just de-bones a pristine deer shoulder without then trimming facia I doubt many deer have a full 10# of muscle on 1 shoulder. I dare say that very few deer have 10# of facia-trimmed meat on both shoulders combined.

What I'm getting at is, does it really matter if a given projectile renders a shoulder unusable?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by gunscrew
don't like tracking deer, will trade a little meat for dead right there.

Probably a regional thing. I hunt thick nasty azz creek bottoms and want em dead fast. I don't like dragging them back across creeks.

Water may not be but knee deep but the banks may be 15' vertical and slick bastards. Try dragging a 200# buck up one of those boogers.

Sarcasm On:

If you'd buy an Uberlanche and 2Mi of winch-cable, none of that would matter.

Sarcasm Off:

While a messy shoulder certainly doesn't look appealing, how many # of meat does the peanut gallery say one actually loses if you have to toss the whole thing? I suspect it depends upon how much facia (silver-skin) a person is willing to toss into their grind. Even if one just de-bones a pristine deer shoulder without then trimming facia I doubt many deer have a full 10# of muscle on 1 shoulder. I dare say that very few deer have 10# of facia-trimmed meat on both shoulders combined.

What I'm getting at is, does it really matter if a given projectile renders a shoulder unusable?
I agree with your numbers. To this guy, it does not really matter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might get 10# total off of 2 shoulders on a big 200# buck. I bet less.

Probably less after you trim all connective tissue and silver skin off.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.