Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I could agree with many of over rated cartridges in Petzal's argument. However, his story about the 30 carbine caliber doesn't follow what a lot of people said about them. They were not a long distance rifle but did a lot up close if you could put the bullets were they were needed. My grandfather who was an engineer loved his more than his 1911 or his M1A 30/06. He had all three in his cat when he was unloading supplies. He also carried it when he was lumping a Browning Automatic Rifle that he carried with ammo and his pack in the battle of Luzon. He was one of two engineer operators who survived out of the five that were involved in unloading at Attu. He shot 10 off of the front of his cat. He never received a lot of recognition for his fight in the war but other people who were there talked about him and how for a smaller guy 5'7" and 170lbs that he was a freaking tiger. He was very intelligent and was the postmaster at Dutch Harbor when they were attacked. He took a BAR and put it up on the roof of the post office and shot down 10 zeros during the bombing of Dutch Harbor. He told us about it on his deathbed. However, my brother-in-law who is Alutiq told us of how the natives marvelled at the Postmaster at Dutch Harbor where they were gathered knocking down the Japanese Zeros. He loved the M1 Carbine because he could haul a lot of ammo and make it count.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Overrated??? ANY magnum......

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_Boy

I wouldn't say that about the 375, the 458 or many others

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
CRS

Your last question and hypothesis is:

"Why does Petzal have to troll? Possibly when one does not have anything substantial to say and needs to generate traffic?"

Might it be that it's not D P who is trolling but Field & Stream ?
How strong is their readership? I suspect they need help!

Jerry

Hence the reason I did not click on the link and read the drivel

DP just being paid to troll then. Man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know why any body who has a mind of his own care what somebody said about what cartridge is good or bad . you should be smart enuff to figger that out buy your self for you own needs . if you can't maybe you need to not be involved in shooting firearms . just my op .

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There may be some validity to DPs proposed list. I think the WSMs were a strange invention meant to sell guns and ammo. The 30 carbine was low hanging fruit that everyone who's ever shot one at another human being who was shooting back would agree that they wished for a bigger rifle. The 22 mag is a stretch as it is accurate enough within it's limited range. Choosing the 7 RM as overrated is an outright lie especially compared to his choice 270 Win. Also saying all .17 cal centerfire rounds are no good is an opinion I do not share.

My picks for overrated would be .223 Rem, 6mm Rem, .270 Win, .300 WM, 8mm RM, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 375 H&H, .444 Marlin and any Weatherby Magnum other than the .257

Now if I could only sell my opinion as well as he then I'd have something to brag about.

God Bless America
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Kickin' dirt on some sacred cows there.
Brave.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. .458 Lott
2. .458 Lott
3. .458 Lott
4. .458 Lott
5. .458 Lott
6. .458 Lott
7. .458 Lott
8. .458 Lott
9. .458 Lott
10. .458 Lott

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5x55 vs .260 Remington: and the winner is......

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by John_Boy

Not the .257 Roy.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone who prints that the 7mm Remington Magnum is overrated is going to generate some interest in their piece. Lol

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
44mc,
Originally Posted by 44mc
I don't know why any body who has a mind of his own care what somebody said about what cartridge is good or bad . you should be smart enuff to figger that out buy your self for you own needs . if you can't maybe you need to not be involved in shooting firearms . just my op .

How is somebody who's never hunted with a certain cartridge, or hunted specific big game with any cartridge, supposed to "figger that out buy yourself for you own needs"?

Am not saying Petzal is right, because I don't think he's being serious. But have heard a lot of contradictory suggestions from supposedly experienced elk outfitters about the relative effectiveness of the .270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Magnum. Many have involved a total ignorance of various modern bullets. Have heard the same wide differences of opinion on very similar cartridges from African professional hunters on elk-sized plains game..

From your previous posts I am guessing you don't have a lot of elk experience or hunting in Africa. So exactly do you plan to "figger that out" if you ever get a chance to hunt those animals?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
44mc,
Originally Posted by 44mc

How is somebody who's never hunted with a certain cartridge, or hunted specific big game with any cartridge, supposed to "figger that out buy yourself for you own needs"?

Am not saying Petzal is right, because I don't think he's being serious. But have heard a lot of contradictory suggestions from supposedly experienced elk outfitters about the relative effectiveness of the .270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Magnum. Many have involved a total ignorance of various modern bullets. Have heard the same wide differences of opinion on very similar cartridges from African professional hunters on elk-sized plains game..

From your previous posts I am guessing you don't have a lot of elk experience or hunting in Africa. So exactly do you plan to "figger that out" if you ever get a chance to hunt those animals?

By the same token if an inexperienced shooter thinks that they can trust F&S magazine or the stealth troll writers that they employ to steer them the right way they’re equally screwed.

Petzal and F&S remind me of G&A after they lost most of there talented writers and turned everything into a “pistol Vs. revolver which is right for you?” Or 9mm Vs. 45acp which is right for you?” Article.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Petzal is a hoot.

I wonder if he enjoys happy hour often.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Petzal almost never drinks alcoholic beverages. Have seen him have a shot (one) of hard liquor after returning from a cold day of hunting, but only once or twice. But even sober he's a hoot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MickeyD
He should've added all the 6.5's to the list...missed the most obvious one!

LOL ! CREEDMOOR ! 🤪

Now you’ve done it ! 😜

AKA 6.5 Manbun

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The manbun is a game killing machine.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Maybe Field & Stream is allowing Chuck Hawks to ghost write for Dave Petzal?

Nope. Chuck Hawks is a boring writer, which means he's unable to troll.

Petzal isn't a boring writer, which is why he trolls so well.

But he doesn't always troll--though apparently not many readers can tell the difference.

So I guess I should go get my Glock 17 and M1 Carbine out of the dumpster. I’m such an idiot! Goshhh...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The manbun is a game killing machine.

That's my experience as well. But apparently not many detractors have actually used one much--or the .260 Remington or 6.5x55.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Maybe Field & Stream is allowing Chuck Hawks to ghost write for Dave Petzal?

Nope. Chuck Hawks is a boring writer, which means he's unable to troll.

Petzal isn't a boring writer, which is why he trolls so well.

But he doesn't always troll--though apparently not many readers can tell the difference.

So I guess I should go get my Glock 17 and M1 Carbine out of the dumpster. I’m such an idiot! Goshhh...

Maybe.

Have been on the Campfire for 20 years now, and have read a lot of posts that don't make much sense. This might rate somewhere in the Top 10.

John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.