24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like light rifles. But they have to have balance. Favorite deer rifle weighs 7.5 lb with scope and a full magazine, with a 23" barrel. It balances well.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

[/quote]
I also have migrated to leverguns during the last 20 years or so.
I have tried most out there, bought and sold.
The journey is far from over.
I really like a narrow, flat receiver and flat forearm/ forend. This alone makes it more portable, in hand or in and out a saddle scabbard, imo
These days a guy has alot of chambering options.
Any levergun with a fat forearm is negated from my list or altered.
I have bought and sold the newer Marlin/ Remains and will not again. The reciever feels like it is made from pot metal to me and is very clunky.
I would like to try the newer Miroku / Browning 1895 some day...it looks ideal to me....my little old opinion[/quote]

You must have bought the early Remlins. These had a well-deserved reputation for being roughly made and with poor quality control.

However the Remlins made in the last few years { (2017 - 2020) or so } were much better, and compared favorably with JM Marlins made 40 years ago. I can attest to this because I bought a NOS Marlin 336 from the Marlin vault, when Remington took over, made in 1969.

The JM gun felt smoother in finish to be sure, and it felt like it was made of glass when it cycled. Very smooth. And the glossy finished walnut stock was superior.

However, a few years ago I bought a new Remlin / Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt, after examining it very carefully with the jaundiced eye of many years of experience. It had no problems at all that I could see. Sights were straight and installed properly. Fit and finish was excellent.

No boogered screw heads. Nice walnut, though a matte finish, and not as nice as the 1969 Marlin. It fed and ejected cartridges perfectly, and internal examination revealed that the cartridge lifter had been subtly improved in design compared to a Marlin-made Cowboy that I had owned 10 years earlier. No rough surfaces anywhere.

It was so good that I bought it, after swearing that I would never buy a Remlin. It shot well, and I still have it. Being on sale helped.

I also own bought Remlins after that in .357 magnum, and .45-70.
All the same quality, fit, and finish, with the same wood.
The half-magazine 1895 .45-70 had a too-heavy magazine spring (think King Kong) which I shortened by 3 1/2" that solved solved the problem. Still a bit stiff, but since 405 grain .45-70 cartridges are heavy and slam back and forth in the tube otherwise, I won't shorten it more.

My 1895 .45-70 Cowboy had no such problems with it's full-length magazine tube.

I also modified the .357 and .45 Colt 1894 rifles by cutting one coil off of the coil hammer spring. I also bent the ejector flat spring inward bit to reduce drag on the flat breech bolt.
I then cycled each rifle 1000 times each, lowering the hammer for each cycle. Once lubricated, the results were startling. They operated with half the effort, and trigger pulls were reduced to about 4 pounds each. Cartridge ignition was still 100%.

The Marlin made 1894's would also have benefited just as much from the above treatment, although the trigger pulls were better out of the box. The Remlin 1895's both had good trigger pulls right out of the box.

Miroku quality is second to none for lever actions. Glassy smooth blued steel, nice wood, perfect functioning. I have an 1873 rifle made by them.

My Browning BL-22 is also extremely well made, with a glossy walnut stock and glassy smooth.

Also made by Miroku.

Last edited by saddlegun; 05/04/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by PSE
In the old days of the British African game hunter rifles were extremely light, as most were carried by the native gun bearer and then presented to the hunter upon request.

Can't get much lighter than that laugh

That's true, but heavier rifles shot straighter back then. Since the hunter wasn't carrying the rifle, he could have several super heavy rifles along and balance one on the bearer's shoulder like they did in daze of yore!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Rifle weight is pretty much a non issue for me. I couldn’t tell you within a pound what any of my rifles weigh.
I did have a rather lightweight rifle made for a sheep hunt years ago. I just used a thinner barrel and light scope. Never weighed it but guessing 7.5 pounds loaded. It was in horse scabbard most of the hunt. Carried it far less than a mile and shot a sheep and mountain caribou.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, it means different things to different people.

It's a different right answer for almost everyone.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
125 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.