Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I’ve been using WIX for years, based on their quality! Perhaps they’ve outsourced to the CHICOMS......like damn near every other American company! If true ......just one more example of corporate greed screwing the consumer! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
No...I dont think they are Chinese now.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use the Napa gold, our vehicles have made 200,000 miles on them.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Wix XP.......or Toyota OEM's for me

https://www.cargister.com/wix-xp-oil-filter-reviews/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wix are good filters. Used them for years myself. Your problem is more likely a program issue with the computer software being issued by the supplier than a manufacturing problem. Damn shame they can screw up the easy part of retail such as issuing proper application data.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

K&N HP's with welded nut for easy removal in tough spots are great too

https://www.knfilters.com/blog/kn-filter-types/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Years ago I saw one of those displays of cut open oil filters. A friend told me how Fram, a highly trusted brand, had cheapened their products to the point that they were no longer trustworthy.
The Old story of a company getting to the top, then allowing their competitors to catch and surpass them in the name of profits.
Long story short, I’ve been using Wix filters in everything for 35 years now.
But recently a problem arose. I bought a used 2010 Ranger in February.
I stopped in the parts store and grabbed a filter and oil, but when I tried to put the new filter on, It wouldn’t thread. Comparing the two, I saw the old one had a slightly larger diameter thread. I stuck the old one back on, figuring they’d given me the wrong filter.
As a precaution, I took the old one off and took Wifey’s car to get a new one. The new Wix again looked different, so they pulled out a Delco, which matched. The Delco went right on.
I’m wondering if maybe Wix’s tooling Maybe got messed up so the new ones for that model don’t work? Anybody else ever experienced something similar?
I learned as a teenager to always stake tho Old one along to compare, so you know the new one will work.
7mm

Any chance the ranger had a motor swap before you got it?
Anything else that could result in the same situation?
Like a sleeve thread insert on the filter mount?
Never ignore the chance of tom-fool shortcuts on a used car...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I use the Napa gold, our vehicles have made 200,000 miles on them.

Made by WIX! I’m not saying that WIX has gone Chinese, and I certainly hope not.....but, nothing surprises me anymore! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wix, Baldwin or Napa here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read on another forum that Fram was sold to another company, don't remember, in 2018 and their quality has improved. I run Ford filters on my truck (212k) and AC Delco filters in my wife's car (169k) and KTM filters in my Husqvarna.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Might have been just a misbox.

They happen sometimes.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If Wix makes NAPA Gold, then yes.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wix/NAPA gold here. Never a problem as far as oil filters go. Their fuel filters for the Duramax have loaded up in less than 2000 miles in cold weather. Fleetguard is now the go to. Sounds like the wrong filter may have made it into the wrong box. Was the filter labeled with the correct part number?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
My hoopties ain’t fussy, I only change oil about every 10,000-15,000 miles. They are glad to get any filter.

Some, I never change the filter in. The ones that leak a qt of oil every week, they are GTG.

My bro in law changes his oil every 3000 miles. Anal whiner. Cancelled a kayaking trip “cause he needed to change his oil” JFC laugh

I’ll say 14 pages

I change oil a little more often than you do but cancelling fun to do a 3000 mile oil change is just crazy!

It probably wasn't the real reason! laugh

Oh forgot. I use Wix or OEM. I've only had one issue with oil filters my whole life......the very first time I ever changed oil in a vehicle I got the wrong one from the parts man. Caused a massive Exxon Valdez like oil spill under the carport. Dad was not amused!

Last edited by RJY66; 05/09/21.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Nollij
Wix/NAPA gold here. Never a problem as far as oil filters go. Their fuel filters for the Duramax have loaded up in less than 2000 miles in cold weather. Fleetguard is now the go to. Sounds like the wrong filter may have made it into the wrong box. Was the filter labeled with the correct part number?

Try finding a Baldwin or a AC Delco for your Duramax fuel filter.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My first thought was “wrong filter in the right box”, but I’ve looked at 3 different Wix, and all match with the smaller diameter. I’m thinking maybe it’s a factory issue.
Like I said, the Delco matches the one I took off, and it threaded right on.
The guys at the parts store used calipers on both the Wix, the Delco, and my old filter. The Wix was smaller. I think 8 or 10 thousandths.
I intend to hang on to the old one until I change it again and use it to get a new one, preferably a Wix. But it doesn’t matter how good it is if it doesn’t fit!
This is the first I’ve ran across this situation. I was wondering if anyone else had seen something similar, and maybe pass on a warning.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine changed oil on his boss’ F150. The old rubber stuck to the block and blew out as soon as it was started. Lost the oil, but saved the engine and his job!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had a similar issue with a differential cover gasket on my Dodge truck. I didn't want to use RTV out of preference. I went to the parts store and bought a gasket and the bolt holes didn't match and the gasket didn't even match the picture on the parts man's computer though the part number did. Went to a different store and it was the same.....for two different brands of gasket. RTV it was.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Nollij

Try finding a Baldwin or a AC Delco for your Duramax fuel filter.

Yessir. The Delco solved the problem.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i use the napa gold which i think is a wix filter. i gave up fram years ago when i heard about their crap. i still have several fram filters for the civic i sold 15 years ago.

anybody want to buy some filters for a 97 civic?

My diploma is a DD214
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 30 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.