Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have them not because I can but because I want too. I have had a fascination with guns (especially rifles) since I can remember. Wanted to go to gunsmithing school out of high school and mom talked me into biology in college and said if I still want to go later I could…..so after my masters degree I went to Trinidad - went really to learn stockmaking and learned that as well as engraving. I am a biologist by trade but tinker in my “hobby” when I have time and do mostly restorations but also some stock duplicating and making. Long way around why I have so many but have accumulated quite a “collection” over the last 50 years and I shoot them all (hunting, shooting in local .22 shoots, military shoots and silhouette mostly but also trap, skeet and sporting clays)……I have all guns cataloged and my wife knows exactly where to go when I kick the bucket (I have the prices I paid and what they are worth (approximately)). It’s my “retirement” or hers (or hopefully both)……and I’m glad I didn’t spend the money on other things personally.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 05/07/21.
BP-B6

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great post PennDog. You stayed true to your love for firearms while earning the money required to keep the habit, er hobby going.
Are you still doing any stock work?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I do OSU……primarily for myself as I don’t have the time to finish other’s in a timely manner. I do quite a few restorations though as the time is not usually as demanding and I get great satisfaction from returning an heirloom to “new” condition.

PennDog

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love rifles, and have been through all the types and various cartridges.

With that being said, I am slowly pairing my rifles down to a manageable number.

Life changes and have been more focused on habitat/conservation work on our property. It becomes a decision, spend the money on rifles or irrigation improvements, fencing materials, trees, bushes and seed.

This should pay off bigger dividends in hunting experiences for the family and financially if leased or sold.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB

PS For me the perfect battery for BG hunting is a very light 270, a slightly heavier 30/06, and a 375 or 416. My recent success causes me to slightly favor the 375.

.270 Win NULA - check

30.06 Classic SS Featherweight - check

.375 H&H AHR - check

What the hell do I do with all the others? smile

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Cascade
I like too many rifles!

Don't we all, but I am going to advertise one of my Brno 21 in 7x64 some time this week as I have three and I simply am not going to get any use out of it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

Hey...Ive whittled my collection down to 8 long guns and 5 handguns! And only one of the rifles is over .224 cal. ( Course the .223 and .223AI get used for most of my bigger game hunting....)

Still stunt shooting I see....... grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been really into guns and a collector of guns since I was young kid. As a kid I daydreamed about being old enough to go to deer camp and loved to read all of the popular hunting and gun magazines and dream about hunting this or that or having a rifle chambered in something that I read about.

Collecting more guns than I need is about the fun, appreciation of and emotional satisfaction of owning something that I spent countless hours about as a kid dreaming of having and fascinated by. It also doesn’t hurt that I appreciate them all for different reasons. I’m a sucker for a nice piece of walnut but also like the utilitarian aspect of others. Ruger no 1’s and others remind me of reading articles by my favorite author as a kid Ross Seyfried. 7x57mm reminds me of Bell and many others as well as being a cartridge that influenced our 30-06. The 30-06 reminds me of... and on and on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found a Ruger 7x57 tang safety with an an old Leupold 3x9 setting on top of it in a gun shop in Omaha. I have left it behind twice now. I'm not sure I could do it a 3rd time. I'm not going back again for a while. I don't need it but somehow my brain says I've got to have it. It's a disease.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 05/09/21.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Need has nothing to do with it. want has EVERYTHING to do with it. If you don't already have a 7x57 then you really do need it and if you do have one it never hurts to have a spare.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Need has nothing to do with it. want has EVERYTHING to do with it. If you don't already have a 7x57 then you really do need it and if you do have one it never hurts to have a spare.

I have 3 1893 Mausers in 7x57 and an 1895 Chilean Mauser in 7x57 but none of them are actually hunting rifles. I'd have to arrange and out of State hunt to use it. But, you are right, need has nothing to do with it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by FallGuy
I have way too much overlap. My practical side doesn't play well with my looney side.
[Linked Image]

What was Remington thinking with those recoil pads?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.