Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I have been using brownells bedding and am wondering what you guys use? Thinking of divorcing myself from it as it always seems to have small chunks and is difficult to mix

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I mostly use Brownells. Small chunks? If it is in uncontaminated resin, just heat it up in a water bath before using. Those chunks disappear, having "re-melted". Let it cool before using.

If it is because resin has been contaminated before use with the hardener, You are SOL on remelting the "chunks". Only thing to do is scoop it out, throw the whole lot away, or use as is. Probably the latter won't make a difference in efficiency.

I've never seen it in the hardener, unless I somehow got resin in there. See above.

How do you find it difficult to mix? Follow portion directions and stir..... Are u using the regular stuff or the gel?

I've not found anything easier to use, myself.

Last edited by las; 05/09/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using MarineTex with no complaints.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to the Brownells Steel Bed. 50/50 mix and really tough stuff that beds really well.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G-2 epoxy, brown pigment, and mini-fibers. I used it in boat building, seem a natural .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B2

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Las
Not contaminated, but yes the chunks stay and do not mix. I asked Brownells and they informed to microwave while that took care of the chunks it al;so made the bedding unpredictible and maybe brittle.

Please explain on your hot water bath, do you put it in a bag and dip it in hot water?

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Maybe it just needs to be stored in a warmer environment/

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marine Tex

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ProBed 2000 by Score High Gunsmithing. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Permatex Cold Weld.

Work quick!

IC B3

N
ned Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by ctw
Las
Not contaminated, but yes the chunks stay and do not mix. I asked Brownells and they informed to microwave while that took care of the chunks it al;so made the bedding unpredictible and maybe brittle.

Please explain on your hot water bath, do you put it in a bag and dip it in hot water?

Don't microwave it for long on a high power, don't ask how i know, I would use the water bath.. For a bath just use hot tap water in a bowl and let the container sit in there for a bit. When you can stir it and the chunks go away you are good to go. I've had this issue with Brownells that I let sit on the shelf for a couple years. Defiantly get rid of the chunks before you use it or it will never harden all the way. If you have contaminated with some from the other container just throw it out.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Used Devcon for years but switched over to Marine Tex when Devcon got so pricy, I would not switch back even if they were the same price. Both are great but I like Marine Tex better.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
I mostly use Brownells. Small chunks? If it is in uncontaminated resin, just heat it up in a water bath before using. Those chunks disappear, having "re-melted". Let it cool before using.

If it is because resin has been contaminated before use with the hardener, You are SOL on remelting the "chunks". Only thing to do is scoop it out, throw the whole lot away, or use as is. Probably the latter won't make a difference in efficiency.

I've never seen it in the hardener, unless I somehow got resin in there. See above.

How do you find it difficult to mix? Follow portion directions and stir..... Are u using the regular stuff or the gel?

I've not found anything easier to use, myself.
Ditto - to all of that... Been using it for over 20 years and won't stop now...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
Used Devcon for years but switched over to Marine Tex when Devcon got so pricy, I would not switch back even if they were the same price. Both are great but I like Marine Tex better.

What did you like better about Marine Tex? I use Devon due to less shrinkage, but have considered the switch based on others.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Instructions include heating it if gritty. I have used it as is,or heated it and found no problem of it being brittle or unpredictable.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by StudDuck

What did you like better about Marine Tex? I use Devon due to less shrinkage, but have considered the switch based on others.

Had a better shelf life and was a darker so if some did show at the top of the action, you did not stick out as bad like the silver/light gray color you get with Devcon. That and the cost is about half what Devcon is.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Had a better shelf life and was a darker so if some did show at the top of the action, you did not stick out as bad like the silver/light gray color you get with Devcon. That and the cost is about half what Devcon is.

Thanks.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Marine Tex ...

You can nuke (Microwave) the stuff if chunky as well - but don’t do it for long.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
ProBed 2000 by Score High Gunsmithing. -Al

Leaves most bedding compounds in the dust. I have yet to use Devcon before I say it is the absolute best.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I heat the Acraglas in hot water when required and have been satisfied with the results. I no longer bed as many as I did in my busy years so I don't keep as much on hand. GD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.