Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15275604 10/01/20
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve got a 22CM at the smith right now but all the sudden this 6mmPRC hotrod has caught my attention. Who has built one and what has your experience been so far?

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Skip the idea. On something like this if you have to ask questions on the internet then don’t do it.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for your contribution... Very insightful...

I was asking about people’s experiences with the cartridge. Just wanted to know how they liked it and what kind of performance they were getting.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sorry that was pretty rude. Ask aalf he built one and I think it went down the road.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have aalf's first 6 mm PRC barrel. I built it on a 700 L/A as he did. I changed the way he did the mag box on his and put a Wyatt center feed box and follower on. I made a small spacer and used the ADL front trigger guard hole to hold it on. The things feeds great no matter if you feed it fast or slow.
I started off using 108 ELD-M bullets and had great success but was not sure how they would perform on deer. I switched to 95 gr LRX bullets and I am happy with the results.
I bedded the action in a McMillan Game Warden or Game Hunter (I always get them confused but it is the one without the check piece). The action was brand new and it has been blue printed and a precision ground recoil lug was used.
With the 108's but I was getting around 3300 FPS ( I would have to check my notes to be exact) With the 95's I am just over 3500 FPS. I can push them faster but it is stupid accurate with that load. I have shot and sent aalf pictures of a .81 group at 400 yards with that load.
I shot it at that range again this past weekend and got a 1 inch group so I am not messing with it.
The only short fall I see is in case forming. Aalf gave me a good description as to how he was doing it so I had somewhere to start. I had some 6.5 PRC brass that had loose primer pockets so I had some to play with to perfect my process. When I tried to form it all in one pass, I crushed the shoulder. I have a set of 6.5 PRC dies with bushings and I found what aalf told me to be true. I use a couple of steps in necking it down, anneal, and do the final neck down, turn the necks and you are good to go. You can short cut the process but I like he, found that you get run out that was unacceptable.
Hornady brass for this round is really very good. I now have a little over 200 pcs. which should last a long time.
I plan on taking this to TX in Nov. and can give you a report on the gun and bullet then ( I hope).
Oh I have it topped with a Zeiss V4 4-16 with the ballistic ret. With this load and bullet, I am 1.2" high at 100, dead on at 225, 3.6 low at 300, and the first hash mark is on at 350, and the second hash is on at 450. So you have the option to use the ret. or dial, kinda the best of both worlds in my mind.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good information.
Would it be safe to assume the 6 PRC performs very similarly to a 6-06?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pullit
i have aalf's first 6 mm PRC barrel. I built it on a 700 L/A as he did. I changed the way he did the mag box on his and put a Wyatt center feed box and follower on. I made a small spacer and used the ADL front trigger guard hole to hold it on. The things feeds great no matter if you feed it fast or slow.
I started off using 108 ELD-M bullets and had great success but was not sure how they would perform on deer. I switched to 95 gr LRX bullets and I am happy with the results.
I bedded the action in a McMillan Game Warden or Game Hunter (I always get them confused but it is the one without the check piece). The action was brand new and it has been blue printed and a precision ground recoil lug was used.
With the 108's but I was getting around 3300 FPS ( I would have to check my notes to be exact) With the 95's I am just over 3500 FPS. I can push them faster but it is stupid accurate with that load. I have shot and sent aalf pictures of a .81 group at 400 yards with that load.
I shot it at that range again this past weekend and got a 1 inch group so I am not messing with it.
The only short fall I see is in case forming. Aalf gave me a good description as to how he was doing it so I had somewhere to start. I had some 6.5 PRC brass that had loose primer pockets so I had some to play with to perfect my process. When I tried to form it all in one pass, I crushed the shoulder. I have a set of 6.5 PRC dies with bushings and I found what aalf told me to be true. I use a couple of steps in necking it down, anneal, and do the final neck down, turn the necks and you are good to go. You can short cut the process but I like he, found that you get run out that was unacceptable.
Hornady brass for this round is really very good. I now have a little over 200 pcs. which should last a long time.
I plan on taking this to TX in Nov. and can give you a report on the gun and bullet then ( I hope).
Oh I have it topped with a Zeiss V4 4-16 with the ballistic ret. With this load and bullet, I am 1.2" high at 100, dead on at 225, 3.6 low at 300, and the first hash mark is on at 350, and the second hash is on at 450. So you have the option to use the ret. or dial, kinda the best of both worlds in my mind.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Great stuff man and thanks for your time! I like the idea of a 95LRX going 3500!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
aalf built a second one so I don't think that he thought it was a bad idea.

Dude270
I am not sure about the 6-06 or the 6-284 (which is about the same thing) as I don't have either but from what I was able to gather the 6 PRC is a little faster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

aalf,

I haven't checked this thread in a while and just saw your post. Holy smokes #2 came out great!
If your half serious on your offer shoot me a pm. I'd probably only want the BA but its exactly how I would build one considering barrel contour, length and twist.
Still not sure I'd want to go through all the brass prep work though.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by REDVANES

aalf,I haven't checked this thread in a while and just saw your post. Holy smokes #2 came out great!
If your half serious on your offer shoot me a pm. I'd probably only want the BA but its exactly how I would build one considering barrel contour, length and twist.

I just switched out stocks on #2, so I'm not sure about peddling it right now.

I would sure like to smack a coyote or 2 with it before sending it down the road.

I'll have to think on it.......

In the mean time, I'll update my post with new pics and a target to show off.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Whats the benefits of the 6 PRC over the .240 Wby or the 6-06? Anything more than the cool factor, because it is pretty cool.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It does sound cool and from what I have experienced with multiple 6mm-284s it will yield slightly higher velocities. I always love handing a loaded round to someone at the range when they ask what I am shooting. The 6mm PRC would be fun to show off.

As I said the 6mm-284 is very similar. I get 3450 fps with a 105 Berger from a 26" barrel. Both chamberings will require a faster than usual twist of at least 1 in 7.5 or perhaps 8. That leaves off any chance of rechambering and using a factory 243. The 6mm-284 will work with a 243's bolt face not so for the 6mm PRC

If a person wants to rechamber a 243 with the typical slower factory twist many 95 gr bullets will stabilize. The 6mm-284 will get 3475fps with a 24" barrel.

Pick your poison and enjoy!

As a owner of the 338 RCM I do like the various cases made from it.

Last edited by Azshooter; 10/19/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And it fits in a short action.......

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by REDVANES

aalf,I haven't checked this thread in a while and just saw your post. Holy smokes #2 came out great!

I just switched out stocks on #2, so I'm not sure about peddling it right now.

I would sure like to smack a coyote or 2 with it before sending it down the road.

I'll have to think on it.......

In the mean time, I'll update my post with new pics and a target to show off.

Sounds perfect, I’ll go look and drool...

S
S
I love my 6.5 PRC but also am really liking the idea of the 6mm PRC. Anyone on here have the reamer they would be willing to rent?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SBodell
I love my 6.5 PRC but also am really liking the idea of the 6mm PRC. Anyone on here have the reamer they would be willing to rent?

I have my own reamer, but unfortunately, I don't loan or rent them out.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
PRC brass simply does not exist at this point. My want to consider a 6/284 or 6mm Rem AI.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by keith
PRC brass simply does not exist at this point. My want to consider a 6/284 or 6mm Rem AI.

I have both a 6-284 and a 6mm RemAI...........with the 6-284 you have the choice of better Lapua brass, with the 6mm RemAI all I have ever used is Remington brass.

The 6-284 is capable of at least 100fps+ over the 6mm RemAI, the 6mm RemAI on the other hand is capable of much longer barrel life

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by keith

I have both a 6-284 and a 6mm RemAI...........with the 6-284 you have the choice of better Lapua brass, with the 6mm RemAI all I have ever used is Remington brass.

The 6-284 is capable of at least 100fps+ over the 6mm RemAI, the 6mm RemAI on the other hand is capable of much longer barrel life

I have thought about a 6-284 but was wondering, what kind of vel. your getting with it and with what weight bullet and barrel length?
You mentioned barrel life, what are you seeing on that front, 1500-1800 rounds?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.