-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"That skillets marked "ERIE" were made by a predecessor to Griswold Mfg. Co.
False. The too-often seen term "pre-Griswold" used in reference to Erie skillets is a misnomer. Griswold made them."

I don't know anyone that thinks "Erie" was a predecessor to Griswold.
Saying pre-Griswold means it's before "Griswold" was written on the pan.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by Teeder
I've got a couple dozen Griswold's and pre-Griswold "Erie" pans. So far pure flaxseed oil has worked best, but I haven't tried grapeseed yet. Haven't needed to.

I have almost three complete sets of griswold skillets. One large logo with heat rings and another large logo smooth bottom set. Griddles, waffle irons, Dutch ovens, trivets... Man, I just look at it now and shake my head. what was I thinking?! Luckily I somewhat came to my senses before I sprang for a #2 and #13....

edited to add:
Lids are worth more than the skillets are...

+1
All mine are slant logos or "Erie" because I prefer the weights. We buy them to use. As I run across a better version of what I have, I put the other away for sets for the kids. Living only about 15 miles from Erie, there's lots of competition and interest for these pans. It's hard to find them at a garage sale.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago my good wife bought me a cheapo Cabelas brand 14" cast pan made in China for Christmas. She had no idea what a cast pan is about so I didn't say anything negative when I opened it up.

That pan was a total pc of junk. The inside had a very rough dimpled surface that would not season no matter what and EVERYTHING stuck to it. On the bottom of the pan they casted on a big Cabelas logo so now the pan would not sit level on the stove top but would rock back and forth on the embossed logo. I gave up on it and tossed it under the work bench until I had a thought to take a 5" angle grinder and grind off the logo off the bottom and smooth out the inside with a flapper disc. It was a lot of work to get it all smoothed up but now it works very well. We use it all the time. Just need a lid for it now. Happy ending!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I likely wouldn't have thought of that. Good job.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just cleaned up a cast iron skillet my wife acquired when my aunt died several months ago. It was heavily crusted on the outside and the inside was very rough so nobody wanted it. I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder and progressively more aggressive wire wheels until I got down to the bare metal. Then I polished it with a worn out flap disc. She cooked bacon in it this morning.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
Clean mine by tossing it in the fire, burns everything off, then season as mentioned above. Works like a charm

THIS... I also use a grinder with progressively milder grit to get a mirror finish before I season it. Mine are like black mirrors.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I had one with rough inside. I used a 1/4 sheet random orbital sander.

Locked on the sandpaper, put the sander in the pan, turned it on and walked away to another project. Turned out pretty well.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I cleaned up a couple of rough ones, some years back, with a little air die grinder, and rolloc (sp) discs. Worked well, after seasoning, and still in use.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 61 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.