Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Garandimal,

The 286 A-Frame actually isn't any tougher than the 286 Partition, despite the bonded front core. Or at least they both typically retain about the same amount of weight, because the 286 9.3 Partition is one of the heavy-duty models with the partition moved forward.

Also the jacket of the A-Frame is copper, with is softer than the gilding metal of the Partition jacket, and the Partition's jacket it also thicker over the rear core. Plus, as you are apparently aware of (some people aren't) the rear core of A-Frames isn't bonded. As a result, when A-Frames expand they often do so both in front AND the rear. This makes a bigger hole, but doesn't typically penetrate as deeply as the Partition. It's unusual for a Partition's rear core to expand even a little, due to the thick gilding metal jacket--and the unbonded front end doesn't open as widely as the bonded front end of the A-Frame.

Both usually work very well, but in somewhat different ways, despite the similar percentage of retained weight. The A-Frame doesn't exit as often as the heavy-duty Partitions, even on broadside shots, due to the wide mushroom--which a lot of PHs like when hunting buffalo in herds--though Partitions won't exit as often as other brands of bullets, especially monolithics.

Whether any bullet exits buffalo also depends a lot on the cartridge, velocity and size of the buffalo. Cape buffalo also have far bigger and tougher ribs than most other big game, which can affect how how much bullets expand--and how often they exit.

While no doubt a stout bullet, as is evident by the reinforced partition, it's location does not look all that much different from, say, a heavy .308.

Was led to believe that the A-Frame was a >90% retained wt. bullet, where as the Partition was more in the 70-80's.

GR

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The heavy-duty Partitions I've recovered from various animals (286 9.3s, 300 .375s and 400 .416s) have averaged 87%. They're designed to retain at least 75% of their weight, though that can be higher depending on the caliber/model, even if they totally lose the front core. But in general they tend to retain the core far more often than lighter, faster Partitions, due to the thicker front jacker. The one .416 400 that lost it's front core retained 83% of its weight. Several have retained over 90% of their weight, including another 400 .416 at 95.2%. The first 286 9.3 that I recovered came from a big bull moose in northern British Columbia, and retained 90.4%.

The recovered A-Frames I've have averaged just about the same, and have weighed some that retained considerably less.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have been impressed with Interlocks (of whatever caliber and weight) for a long time, because they especially turn into "premiums" at around 2700-2800 fps. Have seen it both with the 250 in the .338 Winchester Magnum, and the 225 at .338-06 velocities.

Great, Thanks for that, that PH squinted into the sun and said, the Three Three Eight hurts em. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Garandimal,

Also the jacket of the A-Frame is copper, with is softer than the gilding metal of the Partition jacket, and the Partition's jacket it also thicker over the rear core. Plus, as you are apparently aware of (some people aren't) the rear core of A-Frames isn't bonded. As a result, when A-Frames expand they often do so both in front AND the rear. This makes a bigger hole, but doesn't typically penetrate as deeply as the Partition. It's unusual for a Partition's rear core to expand even a little, due to the thick gilding metal jacket--and the unbonded front end doesn't open as widely as the bonded front end of the A-Frame.

Both usually work very well, but in somewhat different ways, despite the similar percentage of retained weight. The A-Frame doesn't exit as often as the heavy-duty Partitions, even on broadside shots, due to the wide mushroom--which a lot of PHs like when hunting buffalo in herds--though Partitions won't exit as often as other brands of bullets, especially monolithics.

Good information, JB, and thanks for that. The A-Frame's propensity for staying inside a buff was my PH's primary reason for recommending them over the NP when I went in 2015. I used A-Frames again in 2019 just because they worked so well for me the first time. But I've been looking at bullets for a 9.3x74R Ruger No. 1 I'm considering.

Whether any bullet exits buffalo also depends a lot on the cartridge, velocity and size of the buffalo. Cape buffalo also have far bigger and tougher ribs than most other big game, which can affect how how much bullets expand--and how often they exit.

Spot on regarding the buff's ribs. They put brontosaurus ribs to shame!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.