Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
NWAdrew Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I recently acquired a brand new Remington 700 Classic in .223. Already had the 2001 Classic in 7mm-08 which has been very accurate and my favorite deer caliber. Yesterday I mounted a Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40mm scope and hit my range for initial sighting in with Hornady 55g soft points. For a new barrel I'm not disappointed in the groups right out of the box. Especially on a windy day. But hoping to get this rifle to sub MOA groups. I've read Remington made the 700's in varmint calibers with 1:12 twist. Can anyone confirm? And if so, do rifles with that slower twist rate compared to most MSR's with 1:8 or 1:9 twist prefer heavier bullets? I have several boxes of Federal Fusion in 62 grain and a couple boxes of Hornady Match bullets with 75 gr BTHP to play with.

Attached Images
IMG_4424.JPG (15.39 KB, 919 downloads)
IMG_4421.JPG (6.53 KB, 914 downloads)
IMG_4423.JPG (4.96 KB, 910 downloads)
Last edited by NWAdrew; 05/10/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think a 1:12 twist and the general idea of long range (over 600 yards) go together. You are going to be limited to lighter/shorter bullets that won't maintain velocity for long range accuracy. If your idea of long range is 300 yards you are probably going to be ok. You may get by with the 62 gr. bullets but the 75 gr. will be a no-go.

Here is an informative article Craig Boddington wrote with a table illustrating various bullet weights and twist rates.

Barrel twist vs. bullet weight

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
NWAdrew: First off welcome to the CampFire and watch out for the immature simpleton named "boob brown" who so often posts his idiocy on here.
My Remington 700 Classic in 223 Remington just loves the wonderful 50 grain Nosler Ballistic-Tips!
Be sure and try that bullet if you ever "change your intentions" with your 223 Classic.
The last time I checked the "zero" on this Rifle with the Noslers I fired a 3 shot group at 100 yards measuring .257"!
Checking my loading log the normal 5 shot groups at 100 yards measure in the .650" range (with a Leupold 4x12 scope).
I also am dubious that the Remington Classic in 223 Remington would be, what I regard, as a long range Rifle.
But my Rifle sure shines with the 50 grainers and moderate ranges (350 yards or so) while Varmint and predator Hunting.
My 2,012 Remington product catalog shows the 223's in similar configuration to yours as having a 1 in 12" right hand twist.
Best of luck to you and again welcome to the CampFire.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Those 62 grain Federal Fusion bullets just may shoot well in your Rifle - let us know how they do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Remington Varmint 22-250 and tried everything to get the bullets from 50-62 grains to shoot and never could get it below around MOA at 100 yards. Since it was to be my rock chuck and PD rifle that just wasn't going to do so I kept experimenting. About the only load I could get to shoot I stumbled on by accident. A buddy gave me some 40 grain ballistic tips and I bought some Varget for a different rifle to try that didn't work out, so I put them together using the load right on the label. It shot so well I've loaded several hundred rounds for it to take along on every trip. The 1-12 twist just isn't friendly to "heavy" bullets...

I did find my rifle likes a bit of fore end pressure. Test it by building up business cards under the fore end until you notice your groups start to tighten up. It made a bit of difference in my 22-250, but didn't do much for a couple other rifles I tried it on....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NWAdrew
I recently acquired a brand new Remington 700 Classic in .223. Already had the 2001 Classic in 7mm-08 which has been very accurate and my favorite deer caliber. Yesterday I mounted a Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40mm scope and hit my range for initial sighting in with Hornady 55g soft points. For a new barrel I'm not disappointed in the groups right out of the box. Especially on a windy day. But hoping to get this rifle to sub MOA groups. I've read Remington made the 700's in varmint calibers with 1:12 twist. Can anyone confirm? And if so, do rifles with that slower twist rate compared to most MSR's with 1:8 or 1:9 twist prefer heavier bullets? I have several boxes of Federal Fusion in 62 grain and a couple boxes of Hornady Match bullets with 75 gr BTHP to play with.

Your rifle is twisted all wrong to play with heavies. A 1 in 12 223 rem is only good for about 62gr max. I wouldn't try heavier bullets in it, because you will just be wasting expensive hard to find components. You may want to try to find a different rifle with a 1 in 8 twist barrel, or re-barrel your remington, that way you'll be good for just about any bullet weight you can put in your 223 rem.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You're rifle is fine if you like shooting 40gr - 50gr & 52-53 match bullets, it should put these into tight little groups but maybe not at 600yds.
If it's windy it'll get them there but they loose speed faster than a heavier bullet, but for prairie doggin they usually work great.
A 1-12 twist will also shoot the Sierra Blitz & Hornady XS, Speer TNT 50gr, these are very destructive little bullets that won't shoot in most fast twist barrels. Look for something other than 75gr bullets, it might shoot the 62 gr but I doubt it. Think 52 and under. I bet the Hornady 40gr v-max would sing in this rifle.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
If you had a 9Twist barrel and wanted to shoot Coyotes with minimum pelt damage, would a 62 - 65gr. Sierra SBT bullet work? Let's say at ranges from 100yds. to 400yds.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Twist has to do with the length of the bullet, not weight.

"Long range" is subjective and you might be surprised by the efficiency of a 50gr. V-Max that is stood on.

Hard.

I'd not be surprised if those Fusions shoot decent and if they do, compare the length of those 62's to this chart. It will give you a rough idea of what to play with and what not to waste your time with:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml

https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/fusion/fusion-rifle/11-F223FS1.html

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What 'Flave said.

Do you handload?

What are you calling long range?

A 40 or 50 grain poly tipped bullet pushed hard is a surprisingly flat shooting booger.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The biggest fallacy of long range ballistics is thinking a 223 is a long range cartridge with heavy bullets.

You can do plenty with 40-50 grain bullets in the 223 with velocity that will be more than satisfactory to 500 yards.

500 yards really isn’t long range.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Item #1: Bed and float your Classic, that'll put you into MOA right away.

Item #2: As someone has said, the .223 is really not a long range gun...yes you can hit stuff way out there, but you are looking for enough retained energy to kill stuff.

Item #3: also as someone said many good varmint bullets will get you to 500 yards in a 12 twist. 500 yards is farther than you think......handload 55 grain NBTs and rock on.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How/when/where do you DELUSIONAL Fhuqktards contrive this schit...you "lucky" kchunts? Hint. Congratulations?!?

The 1-12" Classic in 223 is simply a BUST,due mechanics. It can be made to go "Bang!",but bullets ALWAYS matter more than headstamps,if only to the chagrin of Crying Karens the World over. Hint. Laughing!

50 V-Max at 3500fps. Fhuqking HINT.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

75 ELD-M at 2950fps. Fhuqking HINT.

Wind drift at the 300yd line is nearly double for the zippy 50. The trajectory "difference" is (1) fhuqking inch at 300yds. The 75 has greater impact velocity at the 300yd line,having more than chewed up the 550fps headstart. The vaunted 300yd 50gr "energy" is 610 ft lbs,with the 75 making 952 ft lbs. In fact, the 75's energy at 600yds is only a "whopping" 15 fhuqking foot pounds shy,of what the 50 does at the 300yd line. Hint.

Live a little and rebarrel 1-7". It's THE Little BIG Gun(21" Hawk',223 SALAMI). 88's ain't even "fair" to you Fhuqktards. Hint. LAUGHING!

In "fairness" to The Google Gals and Crying Karens,I only shoot 223/223AI in 7,7.5,8,9,10,12 and 14" twist rates in bolt guns. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

A YouTube video of Big Stink...

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntRun,

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Was gunning an 8" RPM this morning,shaking out new glass. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for Crying,Whining and Trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Got any targets Stinky, or are we to believe you actually hit something twice?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lying Karen,

Your Brokedick High Pitched Nasal Whine,sure is fhuqking soothing...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

'Nother 7" RPM here. Hint.

MUCH better after The Chop. Hint.

Bless your heart,for being FORCED to "live" vicariously,as you get to read my EVERY word and gawk EVERY Splendid Pixel.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Another butchered barrel.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lying Karen,

You mean to say,that despite a Heralded Decree,that you can see my pics you MAGNIFICENT Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Clueless Schit...you "lucky" kchunt? Hint. Congratulations?!?

7.5" RPM here. Hint.

Bless your heart.

As an aside,just how many times a day do you think about me?

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Item #1: Bed and float your Classic, that'll put you into MOA right away.

Item #2: As someone has said, the .223 is really not a long range gun...yes you can hit stuff way out there, but you are looking for enough retained energy to kill stuff.

Item #3: also as someone said many good varmint bullets will get you to 500 yards in a 12 twist. 500 yards is farther than you think......handload 55 grain NBTs and rock on.

55 grain NBT has been my favorite coyote bullet out of a 22-250 for a long time.

Should be pretty good from the 223, only kilt 1 with said bullet in 223 so far and it was the usual DRT that I get from the 22-250.

The NBT 50 isn't far behind it though. Killed quite a few with that out of my last 250.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Retard Twist Rate 22-250,pales to a real one...just as in 223 Rem chambering. Hint.

I shoot High RPM 22-250's,22-250 AI's and 224 Speedmires in 7,8 and 9" RPM's,obviously with multiple rifles in each chambering. Hint.

Though in fairness,I realize you Crying Karens gotta read about it and Google it,rather than actual trigger time. PLEASE do not slight the humor associated,because you gals are doing "GREAT!". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Ladies who "know" and "do" as "much" as you gals,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.