No chit?? Huh!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Owned an auto/truck shop forever.

Hastings, Wix, Delco were my main go to filters.

Never had any major problems.

-Ken

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I only use Ford, GM, or what the vehicle mfg uses. Cost more but I know I have the correct filter. The only off brand filter I have used is Fram for my F250 6.0 as it was researched well by others that have connections. The one filter I will not use even on a lawn mower is a Baldwin they are junk.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The modern engines use a high pressure oil filter with a high temperature silicone check valve in them. The diferent specification is because of high pressure/high speed oil pump, external oil coolers and piston bottom oil sprayers. I use the OEM filter. I am looking at another OEM's filter as a possible replacement. The Motorcraft FL500s looks like it would meet all of the specifications.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
check out bob is the oil guy site. More than you want to know about oil and filters. I use Fram Ultra for 15,000 miles.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Esox357
Motorcraft is recommended by Ford

No sheit??? Lemme guess, GM recommends Delco???

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Was the filter number 512272?

Called my bud in the parts Business and didn't write down the ford number but can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by Esox357
Motorcraft is recommended by Ford

Ford recommends a Ford filter?

It's natural to be cynical about that, but remember that Ford's warranties are backed up when Motorcraft and other recommended parts and consumables are used.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RiverRider

It's natural to be cynical about that, but remember that Ford's warranties are backed up when Motorcraft and other recommended parts and consumables are used.

Nothing wrong with using the factory parts but they can't deny warranty claims because you used an aftermarket filter, it's federal law.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
It called mass manufacturing. You think they check each one ?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sackett
Wix or Napa Gold (which is a Wix). Buy them in bulk when they are on sale

Yep

Use Napa Gold on my vehicles and tractors.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think Carquest filters are Wix also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Nothing wrong with using the factory parts but they can't deny warranty claims because you used an aftermarket filter, it's federal law.

You might be generally right, but do you think Ford would warranty a blown engine if they can rightfully claim that the aftermarket oil filter you used failed, causing your mains and rod bearings to get wiped?
I don't know, personally, but I don't see how the feds could force Ford to pay for an engine if that were to happen. Maybe it would come down to specs and certifications.

I do not doubt, however, that Ford makes sure Motorcraft parts and consumables are up to snuff. I'm sure GM is the same way about Delco stuff.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

You might be generally right, but do you think Ford would warranty a blown engine if they can rightfully claim that the aftermarket oil filter you used failed, causing your mains and rod bearings to get wiped?
I don't know, personally, but I don't see how the feds could force Ford to pay for an engine if that were to happen. Maybe it would come down to specs and certifications.

I do not doubt, however, that Ford makes sure Motorcraft parts and consumables are up to snuff. I'm sure GM is the same way about Delco stuff.

If the filter caused the failure then they wouldn't warranty it, you'd have to go after the filter maker. Aftermarket oil filters are designed to meet or exceed OEM standards, some do a better job than others but they're advertised to meet factory specs. I'm sure motorcraft filters are fine, but so are Wix and if you have a Wix filter on a "blown engine" it's extremely improbably that the Wix filter caused it. Ford would have to prove the Wix filter caused the engine to fail, they can't just say "you've got an aftermarket filter on a blown engine" and refuse the warranty claim or they'd be open to a massive lawsuit, and it's one that they would lose. In the same manner they can't require you to use motorcraft oil to maintain your warranty. If you choose to use Mobil 1 instead and it meets factory specs then you can use it and your warranty is intact.

The law requires this because if Ford could require you to use their oil filter in order to maintain your warranty then they could charge you $200 for an oil filter and you'd have no choice if you wanted to keep your warranty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You really don't think the filters come from the Ford Filter Company?
Transmission, oil, air, fuel, cabin... for every app?

I have hauled a pile of car parts, and worked on a couple cars too.
Steering boxes, transmissions, transfer cases, differentials,
These parts are not only frequently outsourced, they are subsidiaries
of the big three commonly utilized across lines.

Ford almost certainly outsources them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Here is the law: magnuson-moss

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

You really don't think the filters come from the Ford Filter Company?
Transmission, oil, air, fuel, cabin... for every app?

I have hauled a pile of car parts, and worked on a couple cars too.
Steering boxes, transmissions, transfer cases, differentials,
These parts are not only frequently outsourced, they are subsidiaries
of the big three commonly utilized across lines.

Ford almost certainly outsources them.

Of course not. Where would you get that idea? I am fully cognizant of the commonality of many automotive components, and I am well acquainted with how outsourcing works.

Don't be the darkness.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wabigoon likes Wix since it rhymes with dicks. LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

THIS.

You beat me to it sackett. 100% correct.

-Ken

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There are caveats to that law, but I get what you're saying, Crow hunter.

It's an interesting subject I never thought to investigate, meaning, the standards aspect of it all. Most of us have probably checked out the API standard requirements for for motor oil for our our vehicles because it provides a little extra confidence in selecting motor oil. Until today I haven't thought of looking into similar standards for selecting oil filters. If such do exist, I have yet to find them. It appears to be a whole different kettle of fish. The only oil filters I have on hand right now are some Motorcraft and some Super Tech. The packaging for both Super Tech part numbers I have in the garage denote the SAE HS-806 standard---whatever that is, and the Motorcraft packaging omits all such info. Curiosity has awakened.

Don't be the darkness.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.