-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I bought a new 700 and it seems the barrel is touching the stock on left side. It has the bubbles near end of stock and the lug slot is sloppy. Should I glass bed it and free float

Last edited by BandGHunter; 05/08/21.
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
what kind of stock is it? if its a tupperware throw it away and start with something better. if its wood then open it up wherever its touching and bed/float it. I like dev-con for bedding, but there are lots of others out there.

Last edited by gruvco2; 05/08/21.

life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gruvco2
what kind of stock is it? if its a tupperware throw it away and start with something better. if its wood then open it up wherever its touching and bed/float it. I like dev-con for bedding, but there are lots of others out there.

Agree.

NRA Patron
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ya it's wood the rifle is a Cdl 24" 06 blue so far nothing but a problem. My other 700's are Excellent. I am leaning g towards bed action and free float

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A correctly done wink stress free bedding job and free floating the barrel is what you're looking for. Pillars are a must, as is using a bedding compound that's designed for the job. Leave the hot glue gun sticks at Hobby Lobby.....

Proper bedding on a 700 includes the trigger guard, it's mortice cut, the fit of the mag box in the stock, the clearance between the action screws and pillar I.D., trigger clearance, doing the recoil lug correctly, detailing the bedding afterwards to eliminate high spots....and about a dozen other subtle things that are hard to explain but contribute to the final result.

If the barreled action doesn't literally fall out of the stock when the action screws are removed, it's not right.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

If the barreled action doesn't literally fall out of the stock when the action screws are removed, it's not right.

If it 'falls out of the stock when the action screws are removed'......then it's definitely NOT right.. Tight - is right.. But that's just me - YMMV... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Some of the best BR shooters and 'smiths I have known subscribed to the "fall out of the stock" theory and it certainly worked for them. I went that way as well and never felt handicapped; if you discounted my apparent inability to judge wind and mirage. Not applicable to square bottoms like the Model 70 though and they are always going to stick a bit. GD

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
A correctly done wink stress free bedding job and free floating the barrel is what you're looking for. Pillars are a must, as is using a bedding compound that's designed for the job. Leave the hot glue gun sticks at Hobby Lobby.....

Proper bedding on a 700 includes the trigger guard, it's mortice cut, the fit of the mag box in the stock, the clearance between the action screws and pillar I.D., trigger clearance, doing the recoil lug correctly, detailing the bedding afterwards to eliminate high spots....and about a dozen other subtle things that are hard to explain but contribute to the final result.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Seems like a lot of effort for a factory sporter, especially at current shop rates and wait times. I would probably start by relieving the barrel channel, bedding the recoil lug area and see how it shoots. But, if you think it helps to do more, then it does.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
If it 'falls out of the stock when the action screws are removed'......then it's definitely NOT right.. Tight - is right.. But that's just me - YMMV... smile

If a 700 is tight to remove, you're leaving accuracy and repeatability on the table. wink

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.