Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking at replacing my old, trustworthy F150 SuperCrew.. and boy does truck shopping suck now.

First, found out that my old truck is worth about nothing, classic Ford engineering and a total failure to properly design something called "cam phasers". Good thing I bought it cheap in 2008, but still sucks.

And if you think folks are gouging on guns and ammo because of shortages, talk to a city dealer about buying a truck now while shortages are ongoing because of the chip problem.

"I think we can take $150 off the price of that truck".

?????????

Don't need it that bad. I can wait a year or two, and I won't buy it from you.

Thinking a smaller truck, don't really need to haul much any more. Due to 40 years of experience with Ford engineering idiocy ($800 spark plug replacement???????), I'm leaning towards a Chevy Colorado. Of course, for some reason they can't keep their wheel wells from rusting out. (I swear half of the Silverado's/Colorado's I see have rusted wheel wells). Ford Ranger is a possibility.

Could also be open to another half-ton.. I rather like the Silverado 1500 Custom, and their $4000 discount doesn't hurt right now.

Who's bought something recently? Recommendations?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like Toyota

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wait a year and then buy a Toyota Tundra.

RS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Flip a coin. They all have plus and minuses. I been shopping myself for a half ton and had a really difficult time deciding between a Ram 1500 Limited and GMC Denali. Both of these dealers are still dealing and knocking thousands off the MSRP. And both seem really hot to buy my 2019 Ford Superduty gasser. Last offer was for $56000 and it is 2.5 years old. Way more than I paid for it new. Been a Ford guy for last 40 years but want to try something different.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a Ford...once. Current Silverado has 395,000 on it...But yes buying a new truck is an expensive PITA. On more than one occasion, I've left the house, checkbook in hand to go and buy a truck. I guess I'm over all of my car/truck "wants" in life, but I can't see spending 50K on a friggin TRUCK...So, I'll use this one till the wheels fall off. I carry the title in the glove box, so I can just "dead stick it" to a dealership or give it to the junkyard to two away... smile THEN I'll get another...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now is not the time to buy a new truck! A buddy got quoted $70k on a new outdated Tundra TRD in Denver a few days ago, $70k for a Tundra……..are you F’ing kidding me?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Old and trustworthy.....for something new, unreliable and terrible expensive.

Makes great sense.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hadn't realized how bad it was. Yesterday I took my 2014 Tacoma in for an oil change and some parts replacement that are regularly scheduled 7 year items. They had zero Tundras and only 2 Tacomas on the lot. I've gotten 2 letters from the dealership offering to buy my truck which is intriguing except there's nothing out there to replace it with.

The only advice I can offer is "keep looking". Be willing to walk away if you don't like the price. And in the mean time, keep up on your maintenance 'cause you may have to drive the thing you've got longer than you plan.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hate it no matter the circumstances but its a necessary evil. Transportation is a big need in my life.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Wait a year and then buy a Toyota Tundra.

RS

Wait two years and see real reports of the gas mileage they are supposed to address

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Flip a coin. They all have plus and minuses. I been shopping myself for a half ton and had a really difficult time deciding between a Ram 1500 Limited and GMC Denali. Both of these dealers are still dealing and knocking thousands off the MSRP. And both seem really hot to buy my 2019 Ford Superduty gasser. Last offer was for $56000 and it is 2.5 years old. Way more than I paid for it new. Been a Ford guy for last 40 years but want to try something different.

Wait for the 2022 if going gmc or chevy 1/2 ton. Lots of lifter issues in the 19-21s. My new gmc is going in the shop friday for a new rear window, headliner stays wet due to leak. Probably two hundred pages just about the rear window on the forums. And that may not fix it, the spoiler above breaks it seal and water weeks in through it also.

Last edited by killerv; 05/11/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wait until supply catches up with demand if you can. This is a terrible time to buy a vehicle or a standby generator. I have learned when truck shopping to not dare admit you don't want their financing and don't take any no interest deals. I was talked into a no interest deal back in 2003 by a local Chevrolet dealer and later found out the dealer pocketed a $2500 rebate.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Now is not the time to buy a new truck! A buddy got quoted $70k on a new outdated Tundra TRD in Denver a few days ago, $70k for a Tundra……..are you F’ing kidding me?

And another point.. a lot of the used trucks are near the MSRP of new ones. We drove through the lot where we've bought a number of used vehicles at very good deals, and all they have are high mileage and high prices on trucks.

Originally Posted by T_O_M
The only advice I can offer is "keep looking". Be willing to walk away if you don't like the price. And in the mean time, keep up on your maintenance 'cause you may have to drive the thing you've got longer than you plan.

Kept up the maintenance, always do. But never knew about the cam phaser problems on Ford F150's 5.4L engines. Hard to maintain something you don't know is broke. Choice on the old truck is to throw a couple thousand at trying to fix the cam phasers and HOPE that the engine isn't actually ruined.. or replace the entire engine. Which is an option, just not one I prefer.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang vehicles are a bottomless pit into which we throw our money, never to be seen again.

I drive a 2003 F150 and a 2004 Ram 3500 diesel. Both have a little over 100K on them, both will be with me until I cant drive any more.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you can wait, I would wait a year. The local Ford dealer had two F250's and two F350, maybe 4-5 F150's on the lot. The dealer said the May shipment from Ford was already 90% sold. This dealer usually has 100 plus trucks on the lot.

When all the folks who bought new cars with defered mortgage payments and stimulus checks figure out they can't afford the payment next year, late model used cars should be cheap.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Wait for the 2022 if going gmc or chevy 1/2 ton. Lots of lifter issues in the 19-21s. My new gmc is going in the shop friday for a new rear window, headliner stays wait due to leak. Probably two hundred pages just about the rear window on the forums. And that may not fix it, the spoiler above breaks it seal and water weeks in through it also.

They all have issues. My last F150 was bought back under the Lemon Law program. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t. What are some good forums to join for the GM 1/2 tons?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been truck shopping recently. Called a bunch of dealers. Some will play ball some won't. Costco dealer quoted me a good price (all things considered) here in California. Montana Costco dealer was at sticker.

Keep calling around. There's a bunch of Rangers on lots so there should be a deal somewhere.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best car dealer here is actually Toyota. Other Toyota dealer is typical above MSRP added wax job thief.
Anyway the better dealership has a 2017 Tundra with 127,000 miles for 33K. So I guess zero depreciation?
My wife wants a new car, and she does not understand it is best to wait a while. I hate to go next month.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As for mid-size trucks, I am on my second Honda Ridgeline. My new one is a 2021 and it's just dandy for an old-timer like me. Smooth, quiet, easy on gas, reliable, roomy and easy to get in and out of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RAM 3500 4 WD, Dual Rear wheels, Limited package, Crew Cab, Cummins High Output 6.7L with Aisin transmission. delivered to my house. $90,000 truth

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.