Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Looking at replacing my old, trustworthy F150 SuperCrew.. and boy does truck shopping suck now.

First, found out that my old truck is worth about nothing, classic Ford engineering and a total failure to properly design something called "cam phasers". Good thing I bought it cheap in 2008, but still sucks.

And if you think folks are gouging on guns and ammo because of shortages, talk to a city dealer about buying a truck now while shortages are ongoing because of the chip problem.

"I think we can take $150 off the price of that truck".

?????????

Don't need it that bad. I can wait a year or two, and I won't buy it from you.

Thinking a smaller truck, don't really need to haul much any more. Due to 40 years of experience with Ford engineering idiocy ($800 spark plug replacement???????), I'm leaning towards a Chevy Colorado. Of course, for some reason they can't keep their wheel wells from rusting out. (I swear half of the Silverado's/Colorado's I see have rusted wheel wells). Ford Ranger is a possibility.

Could also be open to another half-ton.. I rather like the Silverado 1500 Custom, and their $4000 discount doesn't hurt right now.

Who's bought something recently? Recommendations?

I would take another look at Ford or Ram before Chevy. I really do not like the torsion bar front suspension used on Chevy. Every torsion bar suspension I have had failed in the end.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
GM hasn't used torsion bars on the half tons for a long time.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought two new Rams last summer.

Traded in a 2016 Toyota Tacoma for a 2020 1500 EcoDiesel. Hated the gutless Tacoma. Really like the 1500 Ram.

Traded in 2012 Cummins 2500 crew for a 2020 model. I like this truck also.

Both deals were easy and painless from local dealer.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The supply shortage is what is F’ing things up. Go online to VROOM and Carvana and look at what they are willing to pay for your current used truck, it’s nuts, but even if you sell it to them you gotta find something that isn’t jacked up price wise. Weird times right now.

It’s kind of like selling a house for a high profit but the replacement house cost so much more it’s not worth selling!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Now is not the time to buy a new truck!

This x1000^^^

IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by strikeu
RAM 3500 4 WD, Dual Rear wheels, Limited package, Crew Cab, Cummins High Output 6.7L with Aisin transmission. delivered to my house. $90,000 truth

There are loaded trucks to be found on the lots. Just not in the market for one. Crew cab, 4x4.. a few options, that's all I need.

Just had a dealer send me a link to a GMC Canyon SLE, 18k miles asking $31k... not horrible.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
GM hasn't used torsion bars on the half tons for a long time.

When did they change to strut? Is the HD strut also? Struts are better than torsion by a little.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Plenty of new trucks if you look and at good prices. Been offered 6-7k off a new GMC by several dealers. And Mark Dodge In Louisiana is offering 8-10 grand off new in stock higher optioned Rams.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Walked into Toyota dealer in late March and within 10 minutes had cut a deal at my price for a Tacoma. Walked out and dealer delivered it to my house on April 1. Easy peasy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

It’s kind of like selling a house for a high profit but the replacement house cost so much more it’s not worth selling!

That is so true, people really bad at math don't see it.

I figure I could spend less than half as much the cost of a new truck and restore mine back to new condition when the time comes.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cam phasers & need for a contortionist to change the plugs, yep we have an ‘04 F150 🤦🏼‍♂️

My sil is a heavy equip mechanic & a good one at that.

He changed the plugs @ 100k miles w/ out a problem.

Same w cam phasers, which was a far more interesting project. He found broken pieces of timing belt alignment parts inside while doing so. Mudderfuggers This after replacing stock transmission after it went out.

My question is at what price point can we expect a sound truck ? Hundred thousand ? 150K ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The 3 Tacoma’s in the family all seem to be doing ok a ‘99, ‘07 & ‘15

Had better luck w GMC’s a ‘92 & ‘02, but both had some issues. We pretty much had to rebuild the front end on the ‘02 with only 125K miles or so. Shop quoted us 4K so the boys & I did it ourselves w some helpful pointers from my A&P buddy.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd wait 2 years
put aside a few hundred every month

Last edited by KFWA; 05/11/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'd wait 2 years

Need a vehicle I can trust to do some long trips this year. So really don't want to wait. I would if I could. Not to mention wanting something a bit newer than a 17 year old truck when hunting in blizzards in the boonies.

Got a lead on a red Ranger crew cab 4x4 XL.. after 40 years, it's time that Ford gives me a vehicle free of stupid defects, right? I'm due? grin

Last edited by Calhoun; 05/11/21.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m glad I bought a new truck two years ago. It has 16,000 miles on it. I kept my old Dodge diesel to drive to work, just paid the new one off. I have my 89 jeep to drive if I had to. Wifey bought a new Acura last year. We shopped for ours online, didn’t look at them until we went to pick them up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'd wait 2 years

Need a vehicle I can trust to do some long trips this year. So really don't want to wait. I would if I could. Not to mention wanting something a bit newer than a 17 year old truck when hunting in blizzards in the boonies.

Got a lead on a red Ranger crew cab 4x4 XL.. after 40 years, it's time that Ford gives me a vehicle free of stupid defects, right? I'm due? grin

Just be prepared to pay sticker, it's just the way it is right now. My wife "needed" a new Mustang, I think I got less than 2k off sticker, I couldn't find another one like she wanted anywhere within a days drive so I bent over took it, I always buy the last years left over base models at the end of the model year because I'm cheap laugh . I can get $5k more than paid for my 18 RAM tradesman right now, but a replacement is $10k more.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The shortage has caused some pricing insanity in my area. I found a TRD Pro I’ve been eyeballing for a while. They want 3k over MSRP....won’t even discuss coming off the price given the market. Used prices are even crazier. I’ve a got a 2011 FJ Cruiser with 76,000 miles that I’ve now been offered 26k for. Clearly, someone thinks they’ll sell it for more. I’ve got 2003 Duramax I’ve been thinking about selling/trading in on a F150 with the 3.5 EB but none can be found.... I think waiting the shortage out is the wise move right now if at all possible.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Vehicle (especially trucks) production's in the toilet due to scarcity of parts to build 'em - one of the major items is the chips that run stuff... Many dealers around here are showing a lot of bare spots on the lots, and I hear daily on the radio a couple of major Twin Chitties dealers begging for used vehicles so they have something to sell.

If anyone has a truly decent car/truck to sell, now is the time - you'll get mega-bux compared to a year+ ago.. IF I wanted to order a new one today I'm hearing it would be 7-9 months before it's here... Sure glad I got mine 13 months ago..

Originally Posted by elkaddict
The shortage has caused some pricing insanity in my area. I found a TRD Pro I’ve been eyeballing for a while. They want 3k over MSRP....won’t even discuss coming off the price given the market. Used prices are even crazier. I’ve a got a 2011 FJ Cruiser with 76,000 miles that I’ve now been offered 26k for. Clearly, someone thinks they’ll sell it for more. I’ve got 2003 Duramax I’ve been thinking about selling/trading in on a F150 with the 3.5 EB but none can be found.... I think waiting the shortage out is the wise move right now if at all possible.
Exactly...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deals are still out there but you really have to shop for them. I bought a 2015 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 Crew cab with 29K miles on it for $31K about two years ago and I love this truck. My son just bought a GMC Sierra LTE? a couple months ago that stickered for $58K for $44K brand new and it is one hell of a truck. Same set up as mine- 4x4, 1500 Crew Cab with all the bells and whistles.

Do some calling around or get on the GMC or Chevrolet website where you can build your truck and see what they will build you one for, then check with dealers to see how long it might take to get one. Some dealers have better access to new trucks and delivery times than others based on their past sales records.

I got my truck shopping on CarGurus.com. I wasn't looking for new, but wanted something with low miles and a pretty specific color and finally found what I wanted about 180 miles from my home. Drove up, made the deal, and had it shipped down to a shipping point a few miles from my house and picked it up. Quick, painless, and pretty easy . If you find one someplace else in the country for a great deal you can always have it shipped for fairly cheap money. Keep looking and be patient and one will pop up .... contrary to some , I enjoy the shopping aspect but with the advent of online car sales most dealers price their trucks pretty competitively with online prices these days and won't budge much on prices. Also, watch for big weekend sales like Memorial Day coming up and Labor Day. Most dealers will have sales on big weekends to bring traffic into their lots....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I never step foot into a dealership until I already have a deal worked out. If they want to play games, I can find out long before I have a conversation with someone and just move on to the next dealership that doesn't want to waste people's time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wait a minute - Biden says inflation is minimal 1.5-2%.............

Last edited by centershot; 05/11/21.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.