Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went in to see about a c-pap machine for my sleep apnea. Doctor said what I needed to do is fix my deviated septum. and straighten out my airways. Basically break my nose to straighten it and rotorooter the airways.

Go to have the surgery they play hell getting my IV to work had to switch it right as they were knocking me out. When the surgery's over, we drive about 18 miles back home and discover it won't quit bleeding. Have to go to the ENT doctors office and finally get it to stop.

The first two nights were terrible couldn't lay down and only able to breath through my mouth.

I'm a lot better by Friday and then do something stupid and do too much and while trying to check the oil in the Zero Turn so my wife can mow I strain and start bleeding. I got it under control until later that night and the blood starts flowing pretty fast and I cant stop it. Finally go to the emergency room after 2 hours.

Blood is going down the back of my mouth and I have to lay sideways to keep from drowning in my own blood. The ER doctor got it to stop finally.

Went in yesterday to get the stints removed. The Doctor says I'm the worst bleeder he's had in over 19 years of doing this.

I sure hope this helps my breathing because so far it's been a terrible week.

Last edited by 1911a1; 05/11/21.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Little silver nitrate up the schnoz will tamp the bleeding.

😁

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1911 - I feel bad for you in having to go through this - stopping bleeding on the outside of your body is one thing, but internal bleeding is a different story - your instance no doubt is uncomfortable and can be very scary. Having it down your throat and interfering with your breathing means almost zero rest.

You may now be questioning the path forced by the doc. Given a ton of experience by now, my position with the doc would have been to try the CPAP solution (those things have been fairly well perfected by now) and we can consider the surgery route if the CPAP does not solve the issue. Thank God, I have experienced some fabulously knowledgeable and skilled docs, but they all aren't like that. I hope this is clearing up and you are feeling better.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been there done that. Had those splints deep in my nose for a week before the doctor removed them Had to sleep upright in a chair and breath through my mouth that whole week. This was in 97.
Injury from a fight with a buddy Memorial day weekend 1977. Gus let me have two blows with a heavy glass beer mug, I grabbed a four foot decorative wooden fork off the wall and wore his ass out with it. I spent a couple days in the hospital
Gus's wounds from the beating with the fork got infected and he spent 10 days in the hospital... He started it, I ended it why? Cause we we're drunk... Temper temper LOL

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, I hope things go better soon.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sucks to read that. Word of advice....do NOT sneeze. Under any circumstances. Don't do it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's really, really bad when you make records with your surgeon. They are in the line of fire all the time.

Last edited by MM879; 05/11/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in exactly your same shoes - worst bleeder my ENT had seen in probably 20 years. Same operation, but what should have been 1 hour turned into 4.
To stop the bleeding, they had to snake an inflated catheter through one sinus, pack the hell out of it, and tension it externally on my right nasal opening. It felt like a truck was parked on my face, and morphine wasn't cutting it. I guess because a lot of nerves run through the area that was being packed gave me a severe cold headache and every tooth in toothache mode. In hospital for three days before they removed the packing, hoping it wouldn't rebleed. My teeth shifted slightly because of that truck on my face. As one benefit, the resident ENT doctor who took the packing out looked like Gal Gadot. All the pain disappeared the instant she unclamped that thing out of my sinus. Then at home for a week. I took it very easy. I had some sort of spray foam deep into both sinuses.

And because of all that, the left side area where they worked fused together so I had to go back in months later for them to cut that, and put that little plastic splint thing in to keep them separated while they healed. In the end it all worked out, I breathe so much better now equally out of both sides. Still worth it.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Hope your long term is better than mine. I had a deviated septum fixed and the roto-router on the sinus canal. Worked great, for about a year. Now, about 8 years later, it's as if I had nothing done, deviated septum is back, sinus cavity is a mess. On the plus side, that one year my nose/sinus's worked, well that was terrible for allergy season :-)

My brother had the same thing, few years after deviated septum surgery, it's back.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I hope you get better!

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Had that done a while back, was lucky enough not to bleed a lot. Face hurt for a while since the doc had to use a hammer and chisel to get rid of some bone spurs. That first nose blow after the splints were removed was a thing of beauty, but I now honk when I blow my nose and didn’t before. I also had to get a CPAP later, but I do breathe more freely now. Good luck in your recovery.

Old70

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was scheduled to have the sinus ballon procedure but once they got in there it was worse than they thought. I was half knocked out and I could swear the Dr was using a rat tail file to clear my sinuses. I also bled like a stuck pig for a day and puked up blood for another. Same as others here it worked at first but is getting back to the way it was originally.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had that same surgery about 15 years ago,I did not get the bleeding but got a nasty infection that took a 2 week antibiotic treatment and several visits to the doctor to get healed up.Wouldn't want to have that surgery again.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had the deviated septum surgery about 10 years ago, best thing I’ve ever done. I couldn’t breathe through my nose most days before the surgery. I used to get colds about 4-5 times a year and now hardly ever get one. I didn’t have the bleeding problems and it kinda sucked but was very much worth it. I’d 1000x rather have the surgery than deal with a CPAP.

I hope the worst is behind you and the surgery did it’s job. If he got the problem fixed then it’ll be worth it.

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wow Guys some of your stories have me worried! If the chemical they sprayed up my nose didn't stop the bleeding the next thing to try was that tube some of you mentioned.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had a bunch of work done to my nose 2 years ago for spurs, misaligned, clogged sinus cavities septoplasy removed the solenoid cavities .
Theyey gave me vitamin k shots and a aerosol of some kind to stop the bleeding , it oozed out for about a week, then I got my nose splints out and I could breathe. It did help my sleep apnea and i no longer have a sinus infection year round. The worse pain i had was when the nurse was taking the ekg pads off my chest and elbowed right in the nose a hour after surgery. Looking back wish I had it done sooner. Slept sitting up for 2 weeks with no bipap machine,

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Sucks to read that. Word of advice....do NOT sneeze. Under any circumstances. Don't do it.
Reminds me of a line from a Bobby Bare song called, "The Winner"..... ("my nose been broke so often, why I might LOSE it, if I sneeze.....")

I sure hope you heal up and feel better asap...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm sorry man. My brother had that surgery and it was fecking hell.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get better soon!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been there done that. Nasal Rhino Rocket up the nose. Spent a few days in the hospital. I found out that I had von willebrands disease, which is a clotting disorder. It can be treated but BEFORE any surgery.

There are nasal plugs on the market that act like a sponge and expand in the nose. Act like a sponge swelling up and stop the bleeding. Better than going to the ER. Basically you pack your own nose.

Hope things continue to improve. Get tested for von Willebrand when you can. A lot of folks have it to varying degrees and do not know it! Go to a hemotologist.

Spraying Afrin up your nose can help stop bleeding too. It should help you breathe better for now too

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.