-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Understand, no one makes the epoxy, they only package it. That likely includes even Devon. They buy it in 55 gal (45 imperial) drums from the manufacturer.

You can pick which formulation you want, pot life, mix ratio, strength. You can then add stuff, like Carb-o-sil , a thickener and firmer, mini fibers, another thickener and strenghtener, or fiberglass, another thickener and a even greater strengthener.

I use earth pigments to get the brown. Burnt Umber. The local plastic dealer has a rack of dyes for fiberglass, I imagine they would work for epoxy.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
[quote=Al_Nyhus] ProBed 2000 by Score High Gunsmithing. -Al

Leaves most bedding compounds in the dust. I have yet to use Devcon before I say it is the absolute best.
[/quote

I've used Acra Glas, Marine Tex, Probed, and Devcon, I now use Devcon only

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Understand, no one makes the epoxy, they only package it. That likely includes even Devon. They buy it in 55 gal (45 imperial) drums from the manufacturer.

You can pick which formulation you want, pot life, mix ratio, strength. You can then add stuff, like Carb-o-sil , a thickener and firmer, mini fibers, another thickener and strenghtener, or fiberglass, another thickener and a even greater strengthener.

I use earth pigments to get the brown. Burnt Umber. The local plastic dealer has a rack of dyes for fiberglass, I imagine they would work for epoxy.

If no one makes the epoxy it just magically appears? wink wink Laughing!

There are multiple manufacturers. IIRC you advised G-2 which was a spectacular formulation by Industrial Formulators there in Canada, eh. It was such a good company West bought them a number of years ago and now makes their best formulas under their "System." Plain old carbon black strengthens epoxy a tremendous amount and better black does an even better job.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
[quote=Al_Nyhus] ProBed 2000 by Score High Gunsmithing. -Al

Leaves most bedding compounds in the dust. I have yet to use Devcon before I say it is the absolute best.
[/quote

I've used Acra Glas, Marine Tex, Probed, and Devcon, I now use Devcon only

I have also used them all and now go with Marine-Tex... They all work well.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boy, this is a hard crowd grin grin

I thought the Portland outfit, System Three had bought them, and not West.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Boy, this is a hard crowd grin grin

I thought the Portland outfit, System Three had bought them, and not West.

West is System Three, or owns it. Originally West was the company IIRC, and then branched into System I and so on from there. They bought IF quite a while ago now.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Be careful putting Devcon (and maybe others) in a microwave. I worked in aerospace for 20 years and we used Devcon to set tooling with. We would buy it in 5 gallon buckets, we used so much of the stuff. In order to "speed things up" a few guys started microwaving Devcon. It cuts the cure time from 24 hours to about an hour, but it makes it very brittle. Long story short, they got caught doing this and got fired. In doing testing in the Q.A. lab there at work, they found that microwaving Devcon that it lost a lot of strength as compared to using it in standard procedure.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the reasons I like the Pro Bed is how it cleans up. I normally get into the recoil lug mortise with a small end mill...clearance the sides and lightly radius the back wall to eliminate any minute edging that remains. Pro Bed just cuts nicely and doesn't try to roll around the end mill...you can hear it as it cuts that's it's staying intact.

Lots of good products out there and huge advancements since the original AcraGlas and AcraGlas Gel days, that's for sure. I still use AcraGlas Gel for bedding scope rings because the Nylon in it gives it just enough flexibility to help conform to the scope tubes without leaving any marks at all. Feel free to connect those dots accordingly as it applies to bedding an action. wink

H.S. Precision used to have a product called 'Accu Bed' that was really ahead of it's time in terms of shrinkage...less that 1/2 of 1%. Now, that's the expected shrinkage number on any quality bedding product. If the mfg. doesn't/won't supply that...or the person doing the bedding can't tell you what the shrinkage is on what they're using...keep looking. wink

A quality, long lasting job is always a good thing.

Just my view from the cheap seats.... smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.