Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gunbug Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Hi when using near max loads in a 300 Weatherby how many repeat lods before you have to scrap the brass? Thanks

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No ready answer. If you anneal and your brass isn't too ample for your chamber, and you more or less headspace off the shoulder, I've had to scrap mine at around 11 reloads.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I scrap when the primer pockets loosen. I’ve had some Federal 300 Win Mag brass give up after three reloads, four shots total. Some Winchester brass in the same round have lasted forever it seems....probably 10 firings before I volunteer them for the recycling facility. I didn’t want to take any chances, thinking I had gotten my money’s worth out of them.

My 280 AI, which I don’t really hot rod, uses Nosler (Federal?) brass which will usually start getting loose after 5 firings. I can usually squeeze two more reloadings out of them before I toss em. Nosier told me they DO outsource their 280AI brass because of the fire forming required. I asked if Federal provided the brass and they would neither confirm nor deny it was Federal brass, looking down and shuffling their feet. From the expression on the Nosler rep’s face...it was Federal.

Now in my magnums I do everything in my power to obtain Norma brass and things seem to last longer.

Last edited by Godogs57; 05/10/21.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I scrap when the primer pockets loosen. I’ve had some Federal 300 Win Mag brass give up after three reloads, four shots total. Some Winchester brass in the same round have lasted forever it seems....probably 10 firings before I volunteer them for the recycling facility. I didn’t want to take any chances, thinking I had gotten my money’s worth out of them.

My 280 AI, which I don’t really hot rod, uses Nosler (Federal?) brass which will usually start getting loose after 5 firings. I can usually squeeze two more reloadings out of them before I toss em. Nosier told me they DO outsource their 280AI brass because of the fire forming required. I asked if Federal provided the brass and they would neither confirm nor deny it was Federal brass, looking down and shuffling their feet. From the expression on the Nosler rep’s face...it was Federal.

Now in my magnums I do everything in my power to obtain Norma brass and things seem to last longer.

When was this?

G
gunbug Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thank You i was thinking of cases separating.I have never loaded the belted mag but remember reading about cases separating after too many resizing cycles. Dan

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Much could have to do with the quality of brass.. Hagel found WW brass much better for making .340 WM brass than the stuff Norma was producing.. That is what I used for my .340 No problems yet.. I have loaded for Mag.cases all my life, and have had a few cases separate but a crack was easy to spot when loading.. After a few of those, I would discard that lot...

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you adjust your sizing die to only bump the shoulder back .002" from the length of a fired case shoulder, your brass will last a lot longer!
If you spin the sizing die down to the shell holder and give it an 1/8th turn more, you'll likely buy a lot more brass due to case separation ...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Much could have to do with the quality of brass.. Hagel found WW brass much better for making .340 WM brass than the stuff Norma was producing.. That is what I used for my .340 No problems yet.. I have loaded for Mag.cases all my life, and have had a few cases separate but a crack was easy to spot when loading.. After a few of those, I would discard that lot...

Good advice and im sure when you reference WW brass, you are talking about 60's, 70'and maybe 80's brass. The chidt they make now days is garbage. R-P was way better than WW in the 90's and early 2000's, as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colodog
If you adjust your sizing die to only bump the shoulder back .002" from the length of a fired case shoulder, your brass will last a lot longer!
If you spin the sizing die down to the shell holder and give it an 1/8th turn more, you'll likely buy a lot more brass due to case separation ...

Yep, adjust your sizing die for minimal shoulder set-back and you are much better off. I generally bump the shoulder back about .003" with my magnums, since they are strictly hunting cartridges. Especially the 300WBY.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And for the icing on the cake you can have a die that doesn't sufficiently size the case just forward of the belt.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
bsa, Yes, it was that time period.. I think my latest is Rem... Don't go thru brass like I did from 40 to 60 years if age,,,

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Get a neck sizing die only, as long as you only load that brass in that rife. The initial stretch is the first firing. After it has been fired it fits the chamber of that rifle. If you full length size it will keep streching to fit the chamber. Neck sizing only lets it stretch once. Would get over 10 reloads in a 300 H&H, less perhaps if you go MAX loads all of the time. Primer pocket will be the first to go. Quality brass of course.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Godogs57

When was this?

NRA. Annual meeting a couple of years ago

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
bsa, Yes, it was that time period.. I think my latest is Rem... Don't go thru brass like I did from 40 to 60 years if age,,,

Yep, I hear you. Especially the magnum stuff too. Ha ha.. I've cut way back myself... I used to sit at the bench and fire off 50 rounds of 338wm. Now I only shoot my 338 when I'm working up a load and shooting at elk. That means not a whole lot of ammo going through that barrel, as of late.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have two 700s in .300 Roy, also a Mk5. The 700s are blessed with relatively short chambers so stretch on first firing is minimal. Case life is excellent. The Mk5 chamber is sloppier. Case life is poor unless we use a .338" expander to create a false shoulder on new brass for the first firing.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I have brass for the 7mm STW I've shot 20 times. When I size it, I work the cases as minimally as possible.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Loading belted brass: Much like others posted above I partially re-size my brass. The way I do it is to repeatably lower the die, then chamber the empty brass until I feel just the very slightest "crush" when lowering the bolt. Seemed to help with accuracy, not 100% sure about repeated brass loadings since I haven't had many rejects. This was with 240 Weatherby Norma and Weatherby brass.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I get about five, but load for multiple rifles in the same caliber. I full length size mine.

Last edited by hanco; 05/11/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Get a neck sizing die only, as long as you only load that brass in that rife. The initial stretch is the first firing. After it has been fired it fits the chamber of that rifle. If you full length size it will keep streching to fit the chamber. Neck sizing only lets it stretch once. Would get over 10 reloads in a 300 H&H, less perhaps if you go MAX loads all of the time. Primer pocket will be the first to go. Quality brass of course.

You still have to adjust a neck sizing die so that it does not push the shoulder back too much. Otherwise you will still get case head separations.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
So similar to what @colodog and some others have said but let me add to that.

Speaking to RCBS support, size it like any other die.

Speaking to the Sierra bulletsmiths, Partial Full Length size.

PRS shooter at my range anneals and get an insane number of reloads. Like over 100.

I have a general rule that if the brass can it to 5 loadings total, I trash it after the fifth.

I would look up Partial Full Length sizing. I made the mistake once if saying it's neck sizing with a FL die...it's not. It's how I load my belted cases

Last edited by HaYen; 05/13/21.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.