Print Thread
Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I found some Speer JHP 75gr in 6mm. I have a 243 and the load data using Varget almost mimicks that of my 22-250.

The reviews I read were for varmint hunting but some folks said they used it on WT.

Please comment on your experience in hunting with this bullet.

Thanks HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I recommend strongly to you that you NOT use the Speer 75g giant HP on deer, we named them flying trash cans and shot them at 3400 fps. I had one blow up on a hip joint of a coyote, but stayed off the shoulder on coyotes and they killed very well. They are a premiere Jack Rabbit bullet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Slow down the velocity and they will work just fine on a deer... especially where they are antelope sized animals..

you'd want your impact velocity to be under 2500 fps, and preferable nearer 2000 to 2250 fps range..

that being said....there are a lot better alternatives available...

but one could make it work if that is all they had.... you just have to work within its parameters...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But y tho?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
@bellydeep So I am not sure what your question is pertaining too. Why would I use it? Why would I use it on Deer? Why is it not good for deer size game? Why are these considered "jackrabbit" killers?

So to re-cap, basically in the wonderful world of "I can't find anything" that we live in today, I found some of these Speer bullets dirt cheap and plentiful. I am use to loading 90gr Sierra TGK or Hornady ELD-X bullets. I would love to find more of these or Partitions or TTSX or TSX or anything in the 90 - 100grs class but I can't seem to find any. Small correction, I can find 70'ish grain Hammers. Since these are monometal I can't stabilize anything heavier but because they are monometal and have great weight retention, I would use those 70gr bullets on Arizona Mule or Couse White Tail deer.

But getting back to these Speer's, if I buy them what can I use them for? I'm get that target / plinking are obvious choices, but what about hunting? These may not be constructed to take a Deer size animal at certain speeds at POI. For example, 3000 fps POI at 50 yards. Maybe these bullets might serve well as Jackrabbit hunters. I me myself personally would probably use these on Javelina out to 200 yards. But then I would have to come home and explain to my 22-250 why it didn't get to go hunting soooooo there's that.

If I misunderstood your comment, please by all means let me know what "But y tho?" referred too.

Thanks folks as usual great information.

Cheers

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HaYen
I found some Speer JHP 75gr in 6mm. I have a 243 and the load data using Varget almost mimicks that of my 22-250.

The reviews I read were for varmint hunting but some folks said they used it on WT.

Please comment on your experience in hunting with this bullet.

Thanks HaYen

I have ONLY used the Speer 75 HP in my 6mm Rem FOR coyotes & vermin.
My handloads run them @ 3200 fps with exceptional accuracy.

From my observations - I get NO exits on coyotes 'broadside', they explode.
I would not consider using them on WT or bigger game.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I ran those big HP 75 grainers in my #1B .243 win on chucks for over a decade. I had two kick up dust 10 yards or so past the body hit chuck.

Other blew inside wo exit. Some blew massive exit holes but were fragmented such nothing kicked up beyond.

I would not run them on anything but varmints at top V.
Dunno how lesser zip ( 6mm 223 ) might affect explosive nature of that bullet.

Our bucks run 150-200 lbs dressed.
Not huge but not small.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/12/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't recall if it was a Speer brand bullet or not - but back in the very early 70's I shot a smallish 4 pt Blacktail buck at close to 300 yards with a 75 gr HP. It hit a rib going in and shattered, sending bits and pieces of jacket and bullet all through the lungs. The off side rib wall was peppered with shrapnel....

It killed him alright, but it wasn't the kind of performance I would want to rely on....
There's better stuff out there. I'd reserve those 75's for targets and varmints

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
if you need a box of better bullets let me know

not hard to get on gunbroker and get some good bullets for 20cents a pop

bought 500 95gr sst's for 75$ to my door

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
there's a stock of 100gr btsp hornadys for 24$ for 100 if ur keen i can send you the link.

the 75's have way too big of an open top to recommend for hooved game. maybe they'd work but they are crazy explosive at distances beyond 500.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would draw the line on Javelina and would use something else if I had it, could be messy. Used as intended on varmints they are good. On deer it would be asking for a failure if you shot enough of them sooner or later it would not go well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
755 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.