Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
The red plastic piece fell out of the front sight on my Ohio-made Ithaca model 37. The replacement sight I ordered from Brownell's is correctly threaded, but not the precise length required for the fiber optic part to line up down the barrel when the sight is tightened down. What should I do to remedy this problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Brownells sells a cutter that will remove metal from the bottom of the sight and let it screw in farther to line up. For one job you can carefully file the bottom of the sight to achieve the same result. I would use a safe edge file to prevent damaging the threads.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Could you back it out one full turn until alligned to your satisfaction, and put thread lock on it?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I always just filed them to fit. GD

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by greydog
Bingo!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kp321
Brownells sells a cutter that will remove metal from the bottom of the sight and let it screw in farther to line up. For one job you can carefully file the bottom of the sight to achieve the same result. I would use a safe edge file to prevent damaging the threads.

Originally Posted by Redneck
Bingo!

That is what I have always done in other applications, but with such fine threads I am concerned about the coarseness of my files and being able to re-start the sight in the threads. Perhaps the Brownell cutter is the way to go, if it's not too much money for a one-off project. BTW, what is a "safe edge" file?

I was thinking there might be a substance that I could put in the bottom of the hole to set the sight in. Would that be a workable use for Loctite? Or could I put a dab of JB Weld in there?

Originally Posted by Earlyagain
Could you back it out one full turn until alligned to your satisfaction, and put thread lock on it?

Might work, but I'd feel better if it was a snug, physical stop.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jBrownell's sells a three cornered file that has only one side with teeth on it, the other two are "safe"', they don't cut

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jkob
jBrownell's sells a three cornered file that has only one side with teeth on it, the other two are "safe"', they don't cut
Yep - I've got one and it's been a very handy item indeed...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Or just grind the teeth off the side of a mill smooth file you have for a one time job like this
You could even use 320 grit sandpaper on the bottom of a wooden block for "one and done" job like this

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by pullit
Or just grind the teeth off the side of a mill smooth file you have for a one time job like this
You could even use 320 grit sandpaper on the bottom of a wooden block for "one and done" job like this

The sandpaper approach sounds like a good first try at it. Maybe that won't take enough off at a time to mess up the threads to where I can't restart them. It's difficult enough as it is, the piece is so tiny. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Curious, does the screw need to bottom out to be snug or does the body of the sight need to bottom out?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hmmmmm. Ideally the two would happen simultaneously with the sight lined up down the barrel. But you raise an interesting point; I need to take a closer look. I was assuming that the threads had bottomed out, preventing further rotation to align the sight; could be the body of the sight has bottomed out and removing thread length might not help. If that's the case, then I see no solution other than Loctite or filling in the bottom of the hole with Loctite, JB Weld, Epoxy or something and setting the threads in that. They really ought to make a round plastic bead for the front sight so that it's always aligned. I have a brass bead, but it's hard to see in bad light (although it worked well enough on last Saturday's gobbler!). The gun is used for turkey hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got my point!

I would stay away from the no going back stuff like JB or epoxy. Blue Loctite should be OK.

Regardless, you will want the sight to be resting on the rib when you finalize the position.

Maybe place a lead shot in the hole and see where you end up after screwing it in again. #7, #6 etc. Whatever will fill the hole.

Oh, I am not a gunsmith. Just good at breaking stuff!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.