Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
You can't go wrong with Williams. They're better than a rear buckhorn if you have aging eyes. They're unobtrusive. Rugged. And just look right. Here's one on my 336 .35 Remington.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

10Glocks, what's the model of that Williams? Not sure why, but I've never seen one which mounts to the top of the receiver on a 336, only the type that go through the side. I like the look of that setup.

Yep.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Epochelyptikal
You can't go wrong with Williams. They're better than a rear buckhorn if you have aging eyes. They're unobtrusive. Rugged. And just look right. Here's one on my 336 .35 Remington.

10Glocks, what's the model of that Williams? Not sure why, but I've never seen one which mounts to the top of the receiver on a 336, only the type that go through the side. I like the look of that setup.

I believe this is the model for the newer 336's without the holes in the side ? The old model that screws to the side sit about a 1/2 " more forward if that matters to you. I prefer the old model.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by jeeper

Originally Posted by Epochelyptikal

I believe this is the model for the newer 336's without the holes in the side ? The old model that screws to the side sit about a 1/2 " more forward if that matters to you. I prefer the old model.

That makes sense. Thanks for that. The one thing that concerned me some about the Williams sights was that they didn't have a "bridge" up and over the receiver, so all the impact stress of any hit to the sight would fall squarely on those small screws into the side of the receiver. This one looks a bit more rugged, although I suppose it might sit higher as a result. I have several skinner Lo-Pro sights on other marlins and rugers, and like them a lot... But I might give one of this style a try as an experiment.

Yep.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by model70man
I have my favorites in this order. Lyman (steel), Redfield, Skinner and Williams. All are good. I use a Merit adjustable aperture on whichever rifle I'm using.

Amen brother. If my old '55 pre-Texan Marlin in 35 Remington gets an aperture, it will be an all steel Lyman 66.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one of the new (aluminium) Lyman 66s on my .348 since that was all I could get my hands on. I am not very happy with it, as it feels flimsy and wobbly which I cannot have on a hunting rifle. The skinner seems solid and since the Williams was actually designed around an aluminium construction it probably beats the newer Lymans. When the top of the receiver is d&t, a Skinner is probably the most trouble free, maybe a tang sight as they are (supposedly) faster since the aperture is closer to the eye.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the Williams FP on several rifles and always been happy with the quality and ease of adjustment

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You might also consider the Skinner barrel-mounted peep sight.
It's small, looks sort of period correct, is all-steel, and works with the factory front sight.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I ever get another Marlin or Henry that needs a peep, I'm going to try one of the Ranger Point sights. Sits lower than the XS so it works with the factory front sight height.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Skinner or RPP and you want a peep that is closer to the eye than the barrel mounted ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 1969 wears a Williams.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Opinions may vary, but while an aperture sight close to the eye might be best, I can certainly see where a barrel-mounted peep would be more accurate and easier to use than the open sights used on most lever actions. It's kind of a middle of the road solution.

I have used open sights on my Marlins and other lever guns for many years, but it gets more difficult as I age. So I have plenty of experience with adjusting and using them.

Williams aluminum aperture sights have never impressed me. They were always just the cheap version of the all-steel Lyman that was available back in the 1970s and earlier.

The Skinner receiver sights are much stronger than the Williams, although windage adjustment is limited, and they often require a high front sight, since their base is higher than conventional receiver sights.

And while I confess that I don't have any experience with a barrel-mounted aperture sight, it does seem to solve some problems.

1) It mounts low and is usable with the existing front sight.
2) It allows for the same amount of windage adjustment as the open rear sight, unlike the Skinner receiver sight, which is limited.
3) There are no potential problems with the axial alignment of the receiver and the barrel, since both front and rear sight are barrel-mounted.
4) It is the most compact and attractive aperture sight available.
5) It is made of very strong all-steel or steel and brass metals unlike the Williams.
6) Reviews are very good for this sight.

Last edited by saddlegun; 03/30/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Take a look at Skinner sights as well.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.