Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 7600 in .30-06 that went 18,000 + rds of LC Match and M2 ball before rebarrelling. I bought it new from the FT Bragg PX for $115.00. At the time I was assigned special duty to train 82nd Abn unit/company snipers with M1 Garands and Weaver K-4 scopes. We literally had a tractor-trailer full of ammo for training. Every afternoon, after issued weapons were cleaned and turned in, we (instructors) shot our own guns with free ammo. I liked shooting 5-shot strings at 200 meters for fun. I rarely cleaned my rifle more than bi-weekly. I kept an accurate journal of rounds fired. Accuracy started falling off dramatically after 10,000 rds, to the point of my rifle shooting 4" (or worse) groups at 100 meters. The stock started cracking in the pistol grip area and the hammer didn't want to stay cocked about 50% of the time at just over 17,000 rds. I wrote Remington, told them about my rifle and asked how much a re-barrel would be. Remington told me to send it in; they wanted to see it. They completely rebuilt it, tuned the trigger, checked the lugs, rebarreled it, re-stocked it and reversed the safety for me (I'm a lefty) for free. At the time Remington said that I held the record for number of rounds fired in a Remington pump rifle. Since rebarrelling I've put less than 500 rds down the tube; Remington probably wouldn't go for another free rebuild. It's a GOOD rifle.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RGK; 05/11/21.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would’ve loved to see pictures of that old barrels innards! Wow, that’s pretty danged cool.

Semper Fi
BMR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RGK
I have a 7600 in .30-06 that went 18,000 + rds of LC Match and M2 ball before rebarrelling. I bought it new from the FT Bragg PX for $115.00. At the time I was assigned special duty to train 82nd Abn unit/company snipers with M1 Garands and Weaver K-4 scopes. We had literally a tractor-trailer full of ammo for training. Every afternoon, after issued weapons were cleaned and turned in, we (instructors) shot our own guns with free ammo. I liked shooting 5-shot strings a lot at 200 meters for fun. I rarely cleaned my rifle more than bi-weekly. I kept an accurate journal of rounds fired. Accuracy started falling off dramatically after 10,000 rds, to the point of my rifle shooting 4" (or worse) groups at 100 meters. The stock started cracking in the pistol grip area and the hammer didn't want to stay cocked about 50% of the time at just over 17,000 rds. I wrote Remington, told them about my rifle and asked how much a re-barrel would be. Remington told me to send it in; they wanted to see it. They completely rebuilt it, tuned the trigger, checked the lugs, rebarreled it, re-stocked it and reversed the safety for me (I'm a lefty) for free. At the time Remington said that I held the record for number of rounds fired in a Remington pump rifle. Since rebarrelling I've put less than 500 rds down the tube; Remington probably wouldn't go for another free rebuild. It's a GOOD rifle.
Bob

Now that’s an amazing testament to its longevity. I’m sending that post to my gunsmith.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK
I have a 7600 in .30-06 that went 18,000 + rds of LC Match and M2 ball before rebarrelling. I bought it new from the FT Bragg PX for $115.00. At the time I was assigned special duty to train 82nd Abn unit/company snipers with M1 Garands and Weaver K-4 scopes. We had literally a tractor-trailer full of ammo for training. Every afternoon, after issued weapons were cleaned and turned in, we (instructors) shot our own guns with free ammo. I liked shooting 5-shot strings a lot at 200 meters for fun. I rarely cleaned my rifle more than bi-weekly. I kept an accurate journal of rounds fired. Accuracy started falling off dramatically after 10,000 rds, to the point of my rifle shooting 4" (or worse) groups at 100 meters. The stock started cracking in the pistol grip area and the hammer didn't want to stay cocked about 50% of the time at just over 17,000 rds. I wrote Remington, told them about my rifle and asked how much a re-barrel would be. Remington told me to send it in; they wanted to see it. They completely rebuilt it, tuned the trigger, checked the lugs, rebarreled it, re-stocked it and reversed the safety for me (I'm a lefty) for free. At the time Remington said that I held the record for number of rounds fired in a Remington pump rifle. Since rebarrelling I've put less than 500 rds down the tube; Remington probably wouldn't go for another free rebuild. It's a GOOD rifle.
Bob

Wow! Thanks for sharing

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Probably good for 200 rounds.

Go ahead and send it this way, I will pay shipping.

What a nice guy! laugh

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing that with us.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by moosemike
Your gunsmith is a complete idiot

Agreed!

Do not let this smith work on your firearms.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BMR
I’ve got a question regarding the lifespan of the 7600 action. I’ve got a 1990 vintage 30-06 that I bought as new old stock around 2003. I haven’t shot all that many rounds through it, as my handloading has been for only my bolt rifles, but it is more often than not the rifle I reach for during deer season.

My gunsmith told me that these rifles are good for “maybe 300 rounds” before the action is shot as they were really designed as a “throwaway” gun for the few rounds a year shooter. So, just how durable is the action on these? I ask because I am looking at developing some handloads for it, as I have plenty of components and factory ammo availability is spotty at best.
Your 'gunsmith' might need to get a bit more education re: the 7600... 300 rounds??? LMAO..

Those are pretty good rifles - even for Remington - and can last a lifetime if you take care of it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
your gunsmith is an idiot, and you should tell us his name so noone contributes to such a moron's caeer advancement

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

BMR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty ridiculous statement, but not knowing enough about the design of the action, had no way of countering him. RGK really gave me the “mic dropping” response to him. As I said, he’s done a very fine job on the firearms I’ve brought to him and I just wanted to educate him, not fire him.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If that is his personal/professional experience with 7600s, it should be qualified as such, along with the extent of said experience. Whenever someone of supposed expertise pontificates what's going to happen (in my experience) I generally don't pay attention anymore.
Had a carpenter tell me I'd never have to replace 2 braces on my deck..............been replaced twice. Doctors telling people I know such and such won't last more than 6 months........5 years later. You'll get at least 60,000 miles out of this car part...........20,000 miles later and so on and so on and so on.
I trust my own experience, but you can put in your 2 cents if you like.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good gunsmiths are like chicken lips.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BMR
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty ridiculous statement, but not knowing enough about the design of the action, had no way of countering him. RGK really gave me the “mic dropping” response to him. As I said, he’s done a very fine job on the firearms I’ve brought to him and I just wanted to educate him, not fire him.

After learning of that naivete, I'd have a hard time trusting that smith to put a sling swivel stud in a stock.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMR

I've got a Rem 742 that I had to retire; it developed a bad case of the chatters. The pump versions never had that problem. I personally would not be too hard on the 'smith. It's a rumor that's been floating around for years, probably due to the bad design of the 742.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've seen a few 760s that were pretty beat but nothing that couldn't be fixed or simply lived with

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The 742 in .3006 using heavy bullets ( 200s ) would chew rhe bolt/ rail and they indeed have a limited life span.

The 760 doesnt suffer those issues and lasts.

Your gunsmith must have been thinking 742.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Jason280
Gunsmith is an idiot...even the 742's had a lifespan greater than 300 rds.

Way greater. I've been putting 40 rounds or so through mine every year since '73 without a stutter. The same for my dad's since '76. We've always kept them impeccably clean and run them bone dry.

Back to the 760/7600, my dad's and grandad's 5 diamond 760s are still going strong also.

OP, I'd find a new smith.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 05/11/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
He's been advised to do that multiple times.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMR

The trouble is gunsmiths are given credit for being knowledgeable about all types of firearms and that's just an impossibility. But it is the Smith's responsibility to tell a customer when he doesn't know something so as not to lead people astray

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,014
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.