Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Does anyone happen to know what powder Berger uses in their 223 77 grain OTM Match factory load? It may be an unobtainable canister powder, but I hope not. I just emailed them about it, but I doubt they will diverge that info. Thanks
Matt

GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I just heard back from Berger, and they won’t tell me, as it’s proprietary. Figures.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
In case this would help...

[Linked Image]

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks OSU!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Look at the barrel length....YMMV!

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
My barrels are 22” and 22.4”. I may extend the throat on one of the two to allow the 77 and 80 grain Berger’s to be loaded out to 2.5” in the AI mags. I noticed Ramshot/AA load guide has long throat 223 DATA along these lines. I just discovered that PTG makes an ingenious throating tool that will allow one to extend throats with relative precision without removing the barrel from the action. This should allow me to throat my Ruger American Predator. The smooth surface proprietary barrel nut on Ruger Americans does not seem to allow one to easily remove and reinstall the barrel, so the PTG tool is a real boon.

Last edited by ColoradoMatt; 05/16/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have you made dummy rounds to find CBO using the two bullets in question? or have you shot the bullets? Reason I ask, is you are limited to COAL now using the AI mags. Pushing the throat out may not be needed, should the rifles perform within the limits of the mags, unless you choose to load one at a time.

Barrel length was mentioned cause Berger used a 24 inch to get the velocities mentioned in their load data. Don`t think you will match them with the 22inchers, and stay within pressure limits.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Have you made dummy rounds to find CBO using the two bullets in question? or have you shot the bullets? Reason I ask, is you are limited to COAL now using the AI mags. Pushing the throat out may not be needed, should the rifles perform within the limits of the mags, unless you choose to load one at a time.

Barrel length was mentioned cause Berger used a 24 inch to get the velocities mentioned in their load data. Don`t think you will match them with the 22inchers, and stay within pressure limits.

He probably has no clue where the lands are.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There is no shortcut to this sh-t. You need to shoot your equipment to get real world results. All else is quess work.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
The Ruger American is still in the box. I’ve only pulled it out to change out the trigger return spring and shim the trigger in the box. I have bullets, brass, AI mags, scope rings, a cheek riser, and a modular mag well on order. I did say “I may” lengthen the throat. I may not, but the idea seems to have merit. We’ll see. I’ve been a 222 shooter for well over 20 years (used on coyotes and p-dogs at modest ranges). An old BR competitor friend of mine taught me how to reload, and develope accurate loads. My experience with a half dozen factory triple deuces (and several other big game cartridges) is that factory throat depth can vary from rifle to rifle, brand to brand etc. I like to start with kissing the lands and work back a thousandth at time on the Wilson die. It’s not rocket science, as most of you know. I’ll likely stiffen up the forend with glass, maybe bed the action. Lots of investigating going on. I’d rather not spend money on an aftermarket stock just yet. Improving the factory stock will part of the fun. If it just turns out to be a turd, then I’ll upgrade.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Interesting project Matt. Keep us posted.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Interesting project Matt. Keep us posted.

Will do. A bunch of stuff just came in the mail yesterday!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,135
Posts18,464,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.