Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I already own a Snowpeak stove that only weighs 4oz and when paired with the small titanium MSR cook pot it is a VERY lightweight setup. I do not own an all-in-one cook system like the JetBoil or MSR. I have narrowed it down to these two units and would like some feedback from persons that have used one or both of them. Here is what I have found so far:

JetBoil MicroMo:
Weight 12 oz
Regulator for better use in cold temps: YES
Built in ignitor: YES. (MSR does NOT have a built in ignitor)

MSR Windburner
Weight 15.5 oz
Regulator for better use in cold temps: YES
Better in the Wind than the JetBoil

Of all the specs, these are the ones that matter to me:
JetBoil MicroMo - It is 3oz lighter, has a built in ignitor
MSR Windburner - Much better in windy conditions than the JetBoil unit according to multiple tests run on Youtube. Does not have a built in ignitor.

I am having trouble deciding. Anyone that has used one or both of these units I would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by Calcoyote; 05/07/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the MSR Windburner. It works as advertised. It boils water faster than any other stove I've used. I'd guess 2-3 mins for 30 oz water. The only caution is to pay attention to how long it runs at that burn rate. I got ~ 120 oz water boiled with 1 small fuel canister.

I've used the Snow Peak and the MSR Whisperlite. Neither boil water as fast as the Windburner. I use the Snow Peak as a day pack stove for coffee/soup.

The Windburner is a bit heavier as you noted but I've found it to be very reliable and quick.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I realy really like my JET BOIL. and the convieinence of it being an all inclusive set and self contained. a little extra weight is no big deal for the added confort

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I have both, plus others. I like the wind burner, especially in the later season. I enjoy watching its power and quick boil time. But Im not one of those guys who agonizes over ounces or cuts his tooth brush in half.

Last edited by ribka; 05/08/21.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by ribka
I have both, plus others. I like the wind burner, especially in the later season. I enjoy watching its power and quick boil time. But Im not one of those guys who agonizes over ounces or cuts his tooth brush in half.

The way I am thinking: If I want to count ounces I already have my Snowpeak stove and titanium pot. The total weight of this setup is 9oz. On the other hand if I am looking for an all-in-one unit it sounds like the MSR WindBurner might be the ticket.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stoves are near and dear - I've lost track, but think I currently have over a dozen.

The current crop of Jetboils, since Johnson Outdoors bought the Co., are a bit too heavy for my taste, but are still lighter than the Windburner (3.5 oz's is a lot of weight to many of us).

I have four of the earlier JB models, including the original 1st Gen and the Sol Ti and Al versions. I've not found them especially bad in wind and would always prefer to shave ounces over something like the MSR Windburner, especially given it has no Piezo igniter. MSR can't seem to get their chit in a pile and make a Piezo starter that works. My Pocket Rocket Deluxe is back with them in Seattle trying to get that issue sorted. So yeah, it makes sense they Windburner has no igniter. Theirs suck.

The Snow Peak is an "ok" stove (I've got one), not especially light or fuel efficient. It was top of the pack 20 years ago, but has now been surpassed from every standard by any number of stoves. I prefer the Soto Windmaster with 3-prong pot support @ 2.3 oz's and better fuel efficiency, or the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe (I have both). But yes, I am a gram counter when it comes to gear. If you're not you're working too hard. Ounces make pounds.

I'd say get the Jetboil. While it doesn't really matter for trips under a week, a heat-exchange pot design gives about 30% or a bit more fuel efficiency over a standard stove and pot configuration. Also, I don't especially like the tall profile of the MSR Windburner. And if worried about cold weather, you can always make a Moulder Strip (google is your friend) for the Jetboil which will boost its efficiency beyond that of the MSR while still being lighter. And lastly, for equal weight of the Jetboil to the Windburner, you can use an MSR windscreen with the JB. It will make the JB's weight the equivalent of the Windburner, but it will be far more wind-proof and efficient in fuel usage than the Windburner. Really, a no-brainer in my mind.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Made many trips with a PocketRocket without issues. When the PocketRocket Deluxe came out with a Piezo igniter, I thought convenient and better. After a few trips the igniter failed and went back to the standard PocketRocket w/o a igniter. Later hunted with a friend who was using a Jetboil Sol-Titanium that had a igniter and he sung it's praises. Bought one and used it on a couple trips until igniter failed. Yes, went back to the original PocketRocket. I am jinxed when it comes to a Piezo.

Heard good things about the MSR Windburner and now pack one. It starts with a fire/steel as well.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been round and round with stoves and have beaten the crap out of my OG JetBoil more than anything. Takes a licking... the only other thing I use is a Kovea Spider for when I’m actually going to cook something.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
Made many trips with a PocketRocket without issues. When the PocketRocket Deluxe came out with a Piezo igniter, I thought convenient and better. After a few trips the igniter failed and went back to the standard PocketRocket w/o a igniter. Later hunted with a friend who was using a Jetboil Sol-Titanium that had a igniter and he sung it's praises. Bought one and used it on a couple trips until igniter failed. Yes, went back to the original PocketRocket. I am jinxed when it comes to a Piezo.

Heard good things about the MSR Windburner and now pack one. It starts with a fire/steel as well.
As long as the piezo is throwing a spark, it's working properly. I've often had it spark but fail to light the gas, though. It has to be that the gas isn't getting to the spark.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you pack a stove and don't have a bic in every pocket on your person and your pack you are a flaming optimistgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker
If you pack a stove and don't have a bic in every pocket on your person and your pack you are a flaming optimistgrin

mike r

redundancy is a wonderful thing

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My favorite redundancy is a Strike Force. I'm never in the field without it. It will light any stove that I've tried. There are many other good ones, too.

[Linked Image from i.stpost.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Windburner is truly amazing in a wind..... Very reliable boil times outdoors on the mountain. That said... I am still partial to the Reactor. It's like a nuclear powered device. I use it with the big pot for canoeing and melting snow. The little pot comes sheep hunting. If It gets cold and snowy I am good.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tell us more about the reactor. Im in the market for (yet) another stove. Jetboil has been nothing but good to me, but I am trying to keep an open mind. And frankly, [bleep] changes, a lot and often.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hunted with a guy in the Chugach who had a Reactor. That thing warmed up the tent like a space heater.

Or maybe it was me farting........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Serious question for those who like a built-in igniter... are you leaving the lighter(s) home?

That’s always been my thing; I’m not going to not have at least a couple lighting implements close by (usually several) so why add a feature to my stove that’s known to fail?

Just my .02...

As for OP I have no experience with those at all. I have a very basic JB I bought in ‘14 that just keeps on keepin on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by efw
Serious question for those who like a built-in igniter... are you leaving the lighter(s) home?

Negative!!! NFW!! Setting aside fire-starting, those things malfunction.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A MiniBic always travels with my cook kit. No way I’d trust just a piezo, even though the JB’s has been excellent. Ditto the Soto. Another full sized Bic travels with the TP, and in fall when hunting another backup with the first aid kit.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It is nice to have it just work though. The original jetboil didn't last long, but round 2 has fared better

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I always have a few bic lighters. I’ve gone back to a Ti pot with my Pocket Rocket. It just works. The pot works over a fire too. I found the JB to be a one trick pony, albeit very good its one trick. The Ti pot is very utilitarian and with some care regarding location out of the wind, the pocket rocket, or PR Deluxe, doesn’t disappoint. I do need to try the Soto Windmaster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.