Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ive got a new chrome moly barrel on my 7mm08. It's from one of the top cut rifling manufacturers, I'm not going to say who because I'm not interested in a "this brand vs that brand" discussion. I'm developing some loads at the same time I'm breaking in the barrel and shooting 140gr Noslers at about 2800 fps. Im following their breakin process also. After the 3rd time out I see some pretty heavy copper fouling in the groves at the muzzle.

I tried Sweets and Bore Tech CU eliminator over and over and they would not touch it. So I load up some 100 gr varmint bullets to a couple grains below max and shoot 3 shots with that and when I get back to my shop I cant see the copper fouling at the muzzle anymore. I clean with Bore Tech CU and the first soaking the patches turn real blue indicating copper fouling but the 2nd treatment shows clear and copper fouling is gone.

So my question is...............Can the bullet youre shooting and a higher velocity actually help remove copper fouling?

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
BP-B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Were you using a Nylon brush or just patches when cleaning? Most new barrels will foul like that for the first few rounds or so and then start cleaning up with 1-2 patches like you’ve experienced.

AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was using patches first and let it soak for 15 minutes, then a nylon brush for 60 or so strokes, and the fouling was still there.

After shooting those 100gr loads the visible copper was gone.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough one to answer without seeing what's up. Could be that you're seeing some minor burnishing, could be covered in carbon.

Some bullets are very soft, others not. The bullet going faster likely has less to do with it than jacket material, powder choice and throat wearing in.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by high_country_
Tough one to answer without seeing what's up. Could be that you're seeing some minor burnishing, could be covered in carbon.

Some bullets are very soft, others not. The bullet going faster likely has less to do with it than jacket material, powder choice and throat wearing in.

He is likely onto something... Carbon is far harder than copper fouling...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
A nylon brush is only good for spreading solvent in a barrel, it does nothing to clean. Copper fouling won't "shoot out".

N
ned Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
get some Patch Out and never look back.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101488052

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
what powder are you using?

Try some IMR 4166 or similar powder that has a copper fouling eliminating component. Using CFE Bl;ackout in my Encore .460 S&W barrel made a big difference in amount of fouling at the muzzle.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just ignore it, doesn't hurt a thing

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I used to fret over copper fouling until I learned that it ain't the bugabear I thought it was. I de-copper if/when I notice a falling off in accuracy. John Barsness debunks the whole issue much more eloquently than I can.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ned
get some Patch Out and never look back.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101488052

Great product if your concerned about fouling, especially Copper Fouling!

[quote=gnoahhh]I used to fret over copper fouling until I learned that it ain't the bugabear I thought it was. I de-copper if/when I notice a falling off in accuracy. John Barsness debunks the whole issue much more eloquently than I can.

All depends on what you want. I've hunted with guys yrs. ago that never cleaned their gun! Got their Deer every year. Different strokes!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do you have a bore scope? Or is this just copper smears near the muzzle??

If it's shooting, leave it alone.

I've noticed lately since there are cheaper borescopes on the market, guys go chasing a problem that doesn't exist.

Keep up on the carbon. Mine some copper. But don't go chasing fouling that isn't hurting anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn near wore out a Sako 7mag trying to get it clean.
Finally realized I was contaminating it with a brass brush, and the
cleaner was eating my jag. Leaving green, which I thought was copper.

The.

The fugging thing wouldn't shoot decent.
Thought I might have ruined it.
After it got a bit dirty, it was normal again.

Same issue with a shotgun I use for Turkey hunting/shoots.
As the season of shoots went on, it shot better. More wins.

Solvent fine steel wool, I cleaned her up like new.
Wouldn't pattern near as well.
Untill it got some plastic built up.
Hasn't seen anything but an oil mop since.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
364 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.