Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

How much do you weigh and will the hills be steep or rocky?

Meat packing, I might go with aluminum for the sake of an extra heavy load might snap an ultralight carbon fiber set.

I'

Sounds like you really load 'em up Happy. Just curious, have you ever snapped one? I mean just under the weight of the load, not getting it down between two rocks?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by ironbender
Bumping this thread...

Twist lock vs. lever lock
Preference?

lever by a long shot

Yup

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll usually pull one or two out a beaver dam as I'm passing by. They collect them and clean all the bark off 'em and always pick just the right diameter. Good selection of various lengths and life time free replacement guarantee. No questions asked.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
External locks and by a lot.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot

Yup

Thanks, guys.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

How much do you weigh and will the hills be steep or rocky?

Meat packing, I might go with aluminum for the sake of an extra heavy load might snap an ultralight carbon fiber set.

I'

Sounds like you really load 'em up Happy. Just curious, have you ever snapped one? I mean just under the weight of the load, not getting it down between two rocks?

Sorry this thread slipped my mind and didn't check back sooner. Speaking of slipping, the twist locks on some have reported slippage under heavy loads. I have that kind and it only happened once. It took almost half an hour to carefully take the section apart, clean it and reassemble. It worked ever since. I think most get frustrated and replace them if that happens. That said, the clip lock version seems preferred in the reviews.
I've got an REI Branded Komperdell made set that's one of the lightest of the carbon fiber. They really aren't intended for heavy loads, but have been pushed and held up so far. I always wince when they drop between a section of loose rocks. Then I'm reminded to carry them until the trail clears up.

That said, I would probably opt for and put up with the vibration of aluminum poles for heavier loads on longer distance hunts. They are also best for those rocky areas and stream crossings. It just makes sense to take less risk when you really must depend on them for those occasional elk hunts.
My hunting style is local now, so it's not been an issue lately.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 05/11/21.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot

Yup

For sure.

Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork have treated me very well. Went on a backpacking trip recently where I’d have really been bad off w/o poles and nearly as bad off with the Kelty aluminum twist locks I had when I was first trying out trekking poles.

BD = buy once cry once

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll start with which ones to avoid first- Black Diamond Z poles; the first one I broke was fording a (albeit swift) stream, which left me with one pole w/ 80+ miles to go on a trip; Black Diamond was good about warrantying it, but this time I went with the heaviest duty aluminum Z pole they made, bent one of those early on a winter trip- no fun snowshoeing with one trekking pole! Both poles failed at the same location. I will say that I still have a pair, the first pair of Z poles I purchased- the very lightweight carbon ones they make- these are reserved for light & fast outings ON trail only- definitely not a hunting suitable pole. It's a really cool design, but after two losses not going to risk them again.

I've now got a pair of Black Diamond Carbon Corks that replaced the last pair of z-poles, the FlickLock setup while not as handy as the Z folding ones, is much sturdier and less prone to failure- these are the ones I now use hunting (and hiking if there is going to be a lot of off trail stuff). My other pair that I use mostly in the winter is their two piece Traverse ski pole- extra stout and can take their whippet attachment.

I hate those zpoles as well. Not werth a [bleep]. Just the regular Black Diamond Trails are decent(AL) and bombproof.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i have a pair of the cheap costco carbon fibers. ive been very very pleased. very sturdy, real cork handles. currently on sale for 2 pair for 70 bucks

same, mine were under $30 and could not break them over 120 miles of hiking last summer. Typically only use one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot
Agreed

I have some that are folding. They're shock corded so you just pull them apart and fold them up to 1/3 length. They have 1 fliplock instead of 2 so they have a more limited adjustment range but they're handy. A minor issue is if the point gets stuck in mud or something. It's more difficult to pull out because the pole will come apart.

[Linked Image from premieroutdoorgear.com]
As an addition to my earlier post: These folding poles are quieter. A big share of the noise is the pole sections rattling around inside each other. Folding poles have only 1 joint that way so there's less to rattle.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Costco carbon fiber poles. IMO I wouldn’t spend more, and I’ve had some nicer ones.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Has anyone tried the Black Ovis carbon fiber trekking poles?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Gunaddict
Has anyone tried the Black Ovis carbon fiber trekking poles?

If it's the one below I have tried them...first pair and the replacement pair broke. Black Ovis was pretty good to work with but those poles suck.

https://www.blackovis.com/blackovis-crestone-carbon-trekking-poles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked over several types of hiking poles and about fell off the mountain from sticker shock.

I knocked the baskets off a couple of old ski poles. They work great. Folding poles would be much better, however.

I'd like to hear some suggestions from actual users. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got these a few weeks ago. they weigh almost nothing are easy to adjust and cost enough that I can't blow off walking most nights now...

LEKI Micro Vario Carbon Trekking Pole Pair. They are 200.00 on Amazon

I'm 65 with back and knee problems. These help a lot. Much better upper body exercise and way less likely to fall over and hurt some other body part. Planning to use them as shooting sticks too.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old guy exercise clip

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Extreme sport Nordic walking.... (if I never post again it might mean I made some bad choices) grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck with that John! laugh

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I looked over several types of hiking poles and about fell off the mountain from sticker shock.

I knocked the baskets off a couple of old ski poles. They work great. Folding poles would be much better, however.

I'd like to hear some suggestions from actual users. wink

My thoughts as well. I've been using a pair of old ski poles for decades. Cost 50 cents each at a thrift store.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Good luck with that John! laugh

Thank you sir, I did a second loop today around our pond this evening. We don't have anywhere near the levels of mosquitoes you do down East but I despise the little blood suckers and found a batch of them tonight. The roadway back from the pond is pretty long and steep. I was thinking about the extreme sports walking guy above as I poled my way back up hill. Not moving like that but thinking about it cool

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Extreme sport Nordic walking.... (if I never post again it might mean I made some bad choices) grin

That's some funny [bleep]!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 73 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.