Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using (running.....<G>) a Kifaru 24" Tactical Duplex Frame and Reckoning and 22 Mag bags for the past couple years. The frame fits me well and carries well when loaded with weight.

I spent last weekend backpacking in the Smoky's. My total kit for 2.5 days weighed 38 lbs including 64 oz of water. On Sunday evening, I weighed some of my stuff to see where I could save weight. My Kifaru pack weighs 7 lbs on the nose, my MSR tent weighs exactly 6 lbs in the nylon bag. I like the durability and sturdiness of the pack and tent - for elk hunting but not so much in the summer for general backpacking.

I'm considering packs at the moment. I've owned Osprey Aether packs before buying the Kifaru. I don't believe they will handle 75-100 lbs of meat/gear all that well but in all honesty never tried it. I spent a couple minutes last night looking at other pack systems. I've tried Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, and Eberlestock prior to the Kifaru. I really like the MR packs but their waist belt leaves alot to be desired, namely some form of friction to keep it where its supposed to be when you add weight. Plus I find it too narrow. It is a surface area thing for me - I have narrow hips and without some form of friction to help keep the belt/pack in place, the whole pack slides down. Hard pass on Eberlestock for various reasons. The Kuiu wasn't horrible but the MR and Kifaru frames fit me netter.

I'm looking at Stone Glacier and Exo at the moment. If the pack weights are real, I could save 1.5 lbs on the pack. I'll not sacrifice comfort for weight but if comfort is the same, I'll take the 1.5 lb reduction. Plus, I'll have 1 pack instead of 2 for both elk hunting and general backpacking. My wife will like that.........

Anyone use a Stone Glacier or Exo for elk hunting? Comments? Other packs to consider?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have you considered the SO Revolution? Lightweight and has a wrap-around belt that seems to stay glued to my hips better than other packs I’ve tried. Carries weight very well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
SO = Seek Outside?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I use a SG for hunting, Arc’teryx for back packing. I have owned a Kuiu but I got rid of it after the first animal I packed out.

I really like the SG though I’ve never packed more than 120lbs
It’s not quite as comfortable as the arc’teryx (haven’t found anything that is) but its as comfortable as I think you can get with those weights and handles loads well. I like the lightweight, simplistic design. I’ve used it for up to 15 day solo hunts.

I ran into a Yukon sheep guide a few weeks back and we got talking for a couple hours. He has an Exo and said he’ll never change his pack again.

If you have the option to try packs I’d try all three.

Pitter Patter!
IC B2

V
V
I hike often in the Smokey’s and hunt out west most years. Switched from a MR marshall to SG 3300 with the x-curve frame. Soooo much happier with the SG. Saved 2.5lbs.

For tents I use the Big Agnes copper spur ul2 spring/summer in TN and I use their copper spur expedition out west or in winter here. UL2 is 3lbs and expedition is 5.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My kifaru bikini with dt1 bag, long hunter lid and side pocket weighs 5.8 pounds. That’s over 7000 ci of space and I use it for everything except white tail hunting. Easily compresses for day hunts but can still haul all I need for 9 days

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My main pack is a SG sky5900 and I've been every happy with it. I've packed out quite a few mule deer and and a few bull elk with it. I've also used Kifaru and Exo's, nice packs from good companies, but the SG just works better for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use a Stone Glacier, the original Terminus and now a Sky 7400. I've been happy with them, have packed a lot of weight and it sucks just like it sucks with external frame packs. Actually somewhat less in some cases, as the SG doesn't put my legs to sleep and keeps the weight slightly closer to my back.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent thoughts here. I'm really leaning toward the Sky 5900 with the Krux EVO frame. I really like a couple things, in no particular order: 1) the meat shelf is lifted off the bottom of the pack, 2) all bags work on all frames, 3) total weight is 5.5 lbs or a bit less, 4) their initial customer service is among the best I've seen, 5) the bags seem well thought out.

All of these things are great but the acid test is going to be how comfortable it is on me. My initial concern is a 26 inch frame on my 18-18.5 inch torso. I'll likely order both the Krux EVO and X-curve to see which feels best.

Thanks.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I can't say they are any "better" than the previous choices listed, but several of us in my hunting circle have the MR Sawtooth. They are a little easier on the wallet than some of the other choices, and get the job done. Here is mine in use last Sunday...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not a Frankenpack? I've been contemplating a Kuiu bag on my Kifaru frame.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm. Hadnt thought about that.

I did order an Exo and am willing to try it out for 30 days. After evaluating my 24 in Kifaru and estimating how.much higher a 26 inch Stone Glacier will be, I decided to try the Exo over the Stone Glacier. It should be here next week.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use an out of production Jansport D3 external frame pack and love it. Instead of a fold out shelf at the bottom, it has a unique design that suspends the bag from the top. It carries anything that I can fill it with.
That D series was designed for mountaineering expeditions that didnt require ice axe climbing.
The hard anodized ergonomic aluminum tubing is a small diameter, but sturdy and good looking.
There's another unique feature. It has adjustable wings that are ridged, yet can be intentionally bent to customized hip structures. The waist belt isn't particularly grippy, but the wings help keep it put and stabilize loads. I would guess that a little liquid rubber adhesive might help your waist belt slippage some. Maybe test it out with a disposable fabric sleeve to see .
I'm partial to external frames since my hikes, etc are usually on trails and the upright position is much more relaxing to me than the neck craning slouch from internal packs.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 05/11/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am going into my third season with the sky 5900. It’s the perfect pack for me. The ability to clamp the pack down small for day elk hunts and come out with a hind quarter and back strap is a beautiful thing. Packing out a quartered out mule deer is no trouble for the pack.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If the MR pack is slipping, you don’t have it high enough.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Have you considered the SO Revolution? Lightweight and has a wrap-around belt that seems to stay glued to my hips better than other packs I’ve tried. Carries weight very well.

I agree with Jordan. A one piece waist belt is a game changer if you have narrow hips and not a lot of ass to support a lumbar pad. I’ve never tried a SO Revolution but the one piece waist belt looks similar to Mchale Critical Mass system. Thats what I’ve been using for the last 10 years after struggling with packs that use a lumbar pad with side belts.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Exo K3 has been working well for me. It’s not perfect, but for 95% of the situations I’ve been it it has been fantastic. I definitely like it more than the every Kifaru I have tried, and it fits me just a bit better than the stone glacier.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought an EXO 4800. I've been packing 75 lbs around in it and the pack fits well and stays on my hips. I took it backpacking last weekend. Carried 35 lbs for 26+ miles over 3-4 ridges. My Kifaru is for sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the summer I would ditch the 6 lb tent and use a tarp and keep the kifaru.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,613
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.