Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I haven’t ever used a quad or side by side but I’m moved up to a bigger truck and the place I hunt now has crappy trails so I’m thinking about getting a side by side.

I’m not thinking through if a quad isn’t better, but frankly I may be able to cross use a side by side for sporting clays, plowing snow, putting corn in a deer feeder, hauling crap around the woods... Hauling Dog’s with me which is ever better... a far outlying use case would be elk in colorado.. but I hate the idea of hunting where you can use quads.

It sounds like Yamaha has the best quality these days - what do you guys suggest I look at ?

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Bought my '18 Teryx LE4 3 yrs ago...now with 4800 miles

In these 3 yrs...nothing but oil/filter changes...diff oil changes.....one belt...2 plugs

The rear wet brakes are sealed in the rear diff....

I believe the Teryx is the only one with full 3 yr warranty...

None of the big 3 will have all the features you want in one machine...all good machines....

Test drive 'em all & study the specs.....make your choice

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in the same spot last year, and after much deliberating, bought a Kawasaki Mule FXT Pro. It does come with a 3 year warranty, plus another 3 yrs available for pretty cheap. I was looking for more of a chore/work style machine that could hold 6 people and some gear without been a long-wheelbase rig like the Polaris and Can-Am crew cabs. The ability to convert to a full-size bed by folding and sliding the back seat has come in very handy for moving larger items. There's still enough bed back there in crew-cab mode to be useful, and I put on a hitch-hauler during the fall.

Most folks mention how it is fairly wide for a SxS and it certainly is, but this allows for plenty of seating room (3 across).

The engine is a 3cyl that is also used by John Deere for their upper-end Gator models. It's quiet and torquey. If I was buying again right now, I'd likely get the same machine. I installed a bracket lift and 28" tires after I bought it.

I use ATVs more often for work, when I have to cover a lot of unknown ground, as I can maneuver through tough stuff, weave through the woods, and even get around gates. I can't carry as much gear/game though, or passengers.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
JPro,

That’s the kind of rig I am contemplating, heck it even looks like you could pull some light attachments with it.
The other option is a compact tractor / Sub compact tractor... Frankly I’ve just started to think about it.

I need to see if I can run a quad / mule around state land, if so It would be great to use to run me and the dogs back to places to hunt that are normally untouched by road guys.

Thanks to both you guys, that’s great input.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What terrain will you be on? Ground clearance or water forging needs? Will you drive over landscaped grass? Top speed requirements?

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
How ya gonna haul it? If you want to take it long distance, fitting in the bed of the truck is worth considering. UTVs are Kawasaki and Honda smallest models. Most ATVs will work.

Also consider elevation. You want EFI if operating in different places if there is extreme change in elevation.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Or..........

do what I've done

buy a Lexus LX 470.....beef it up for off road travel

Don't have to load/haul it...nearly the same mpg........

Carry more gear.......NP Service doesn't allow any type ATV/UTV's in parks

That's just me.......these pics in/near Capitol Reef where the tourists don't go

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are a few 50" SXS models available. They aren't as roomy but they have the advantage of being usable on ATV trails restricted to 50". They can also be put in the back of a long bed pickup. They're the same width of most ATV's but probably a bit longer. They'll get you into some hairy places.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But, will they also get you out?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

What I've seen with 50" SxS machines

Owners swap out factory tires/wheels....put big ole meats on

The machine is no longer 50" wide...will not fit on trails gated or go through cross overs/bridges

Our local Manti Forest is widening most trails to 66" because they use machines of that width also

Most of the BLM property is basically old jeep & mining trails...if it's 50" it means 50"...as in the video

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I will bet your LX-470 is more comfortable warmer or cooler and a hell of a lot quieter, and hauls more stuff, than any quad, no matter the size. Rio7

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RIO7

I will bet your LX-470 is more comfortable warmer or cooler and a hell of a lot quieter, and hauls more stuff, than any quad, no matter the size. Rio7

cozy as a bug in a rug.......purty clean truck for 18+ years old & pushing 200K miles

Just finishing up the Coastal Off Road modular 'U weld' rear bumper w/2 swing arms

My welder/fab buddy has done one helluva job..built like a tank......about 200# w/arms

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Are you going to put a front bumper and winch, on the LX ? I can't live without mine, it gets me and others out of trouble when needed, also the handiest thing i use in the hunting season is a rear basket and winch, i haul all kinds of stuff and critters with it. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could we get some detail on the winch system? Looking for something like that right now. thanks

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Tikkanut - I had a Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 off road w/ a rear locker for 14 years - I put it through things that most people would avoid - great truck, but a bit tight seat wise.

What I’ve done is bought a Tundra I can haul my boat with, and that I can use to put a camper in to go elk hunting in Colorado, then I’ll put the quad / Side by Side in a trailer.

Someone called it right - side by sides don’t work on mountain trails so if that is high on the list - it’s quad runner.
I do however REALly like the idea of a side by side to haul dogs & dead deer around.... shoot sporting clays, possibly even run around PRS shoots as I become an old fart.

Terrain wise - the place I hunt I can cut the trails as wide as I want, there are creeks so height matters. the trails are often muddy as heck when we get too much rain, which is the other reason I don’t want to take my new truck in anymore. I do put corn in a feeder (side by side), and I wouldn’t mind taking some planting gear in along with doing stand maintenance.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/14/21.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RIO7

Are you going to put a front bumper and winch, on the LX ? I can't live without mine, it gets me and others out of trouble when needed, also the handiest thing i use in the hunting season is a rear basket and winch, i haul all kinds of stuff and critters with it. Rio7

yes....front Iron Man front bumper & 12K winch ordered March 15....still waiting for the boat to dock from Austrailia

Won't be used much for huntin'

Just off road in Utah's back 40+++

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Traveling man1, Are you asking about front winch, rear winch and basket ???? Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are a few 50" SXS models available. They aren't as roomy but they have the advantage of being usable on ATV trails restricted to 50". They can also be put in the back of a long bed pickup. They're the same width of most ATV's but probably a bit longer. They'll get you into some hairy places.
Are you talking about the Polaris RZR, if you are, those things don't have any ground clearance.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Are you talking about the Polaris RZR, if you are, those things don't have any ground clearance.
It's true that they don't have the clearance of some of the wider UTV's. I went to the next size of tires, which added 1", plus a 2" lift kit. 3" more was a HUGE improvement. We ride some pretty rocky trails and I haven't high centered it yet with the added height.
We're getting to be old farts. If I tried to take it beyond what it will do now, my wife wouldn't go with me. As it is, she hides under the dash going over the bigger rocks. She gets nervous when a front wheel is more than a foot off the ground.

About that lift kit - it recommended removing the sway bar struts for our type of riding. You need them for higher speed and jumping, but for crawling, removing them will allow the wheels a lot more up and down play. It will keep the wheels on the ground a lot better for better traction and control.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I love my atv for hunting. I can hide it pretty easy. Its lighter to haul. I have a sled to pull deer out with. I use the hell out of it plowing snow. Its $5000 cheaper than a side by side. I still like to ride instead of drive. But I just ordered a new atv. It was a toss up between that and a midsize side by side . For my personal preference I would buy a midsize side by side. Thats the only reason I haven't bought one for hunting yet is the size.

Last edited by blackpowder72; 06/03/21.

Kirk Furniss
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.