Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Years ago was squirrel hunting an 80 acre spot, saw a big fox squirrel up at the top of a leafless hickory tree. Unfotunately, the area around the tree had been clear cut 5-8 years earlier and was surrounded by shoulder high brush.
Felt I couldn't get any closer(about 65 yards), so I cut loose with and ounce and a quarter of #5s. Was sure I hit him but he got the otherside of the tree and got away. That was the first week of the season.

In late December I want back there with my .22. Nearing the back side of that lot, say a big fox squirrel flattened out on a limb. He had already seem me. Worked around so I could see his head and got him. When I was skinning him out, I found 6 #5 shot in his hide. Had penetrated the hide but not the muscle . Completely healed over.

He shouldn't have given me a second chance.

You ever shot game you found had been shot before and survived?

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/01/17.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, I've killed squirrels before and found shot pellets under the hide. That comes of folks stretching the barrel on the shotgun trying to force a shot.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It also comes from using the cheapest loads with the softest shot that deforms and cuts down on the penetration.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Missed a right to left crossing shot on a starling this morning. Bird flew out into the field, made three left turns and I rolled it as a left to right crosser. Second chances are a good thing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have dug scarred over bullets and birdshot out of several big game. I wouldn't doubt some birds I have killed had survived being peppered before, but that may be more difficult to determine.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool post! We stalked in and my dad shot at a coues whitetail buck at 200 yards and missed in front of it. I checked the rifle later, several inches off to the side. Dang. Two days later found the buck during a sleet storm, stalked in again and dad killed him. As we were skinning it, found a graze wound, on its throat, just enough to cut the hair and burn an oblong hole through the skin.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Years ago I was squirrel hunting with some reduced loads in a 22 Hornet. I shot a squirrel and saw it fall but I held my position to see if there any others nearby. After a few minutes I walked up to the tree that the squirrel had been in and looked all around the tree but no squirrel. I continued through the woods and maybe a hundred yards further along a squirrel started barking at me, just giving me hell. I lined up on it, shot and saw it fall. I found it at the base of the tree and it had a semi-circular plug missing from its nose. 😳 It was the one I had shot at a few minutes earlier.
I guess it was really pissed at me but should have kept quiet.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.