Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Makes me wonder, are places like Impact TX still a going concern. Only place in the Abilene area for miles around to get booze back in the 70's. Well, maybe out the back of some bootleggers house if you knew one.
Why do you think my buddy and I went to the strip in Lubbock, stock up, and drive back to Littlefield, which was dry, and double your money.

I tell you Roger,

this world is a changin' .........................and it's the Debbils doin'. wink

Ain't like the good ol' days when the sheriff had to get his beer from the lady's back porch so's he didn't have to drive two towns over on a work night.

laugh
lol The first time I got locked up was there, got drunk on a bottle of JD and blacked out, sideswiped 3 cars on the main drag then hit a fence, in my grandmother's brand new Buick Lesabre. woke up in jail and this old black man asked me, first time? I said yeah and he said it won't be the last. Later that day the Sherif talked to me, said your name Roger Hunter, I said yes sir then he asked is your Dad Roger Hunter, yes sir. He lol and said I had your Dad in here when he wasn't much older than you for bootlegging, I was 17. That is how I learned about the only time my Dad ever got arrested.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
But can’t buy booze on Sunday.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Makes me wonder, are places like Impact TX still a going concern. Only place in the Abilene area for miles around to get booze back in the 70's. Well, maybe out the back of some bootleggers house if you knew one.
Why do you think my buddy and I went to the strip in Lubbock, stock up, and drive back to Littlefield, which was dry, and double your money.

I tell you Roger,

this world is a changin' .........................and it's the Debbils doin'. wink

Ain't like the good ol' days when the sheriff had to get his beer from the lady's back porch so's he didn't have to drive two towns over on a work night.

laugh
lol The first time I got locked up was there, got drunk on a bottle of JD and blacked out, sideswiped 3 cars on the main drag then hit a fence, in my grandmother's brand new Buick Lesabre. woke up in jail and this old black man asked me, first time? I said yeah and he said it won't be the last. Later that day the Sherif talked to me, said your name Roger Hunter, I said yes sir then he asked is your Dad Roger Hunter, yes sir. He lol and said I had your Dad in here when he wasn't much older than you for bootlegging, I was 17. That is how I learned about the only time my Dad ever got arrested.

Did you fix all the cars you fugked up?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Jeez.

All over the State now?

I tell you Roger,

laugh

Did you fix all the cars you fugked up?
Insurance did, nothing serious even the Buick had little damage, got charged with property damage and negligent collision. 6 months probation, 250 dollar fine, only had to write the probation officer a letter every month.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad bootlegger and Roger on here talking bout 'shrooms and cactus!

Only in 'murica!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What an [bleep].

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
learned my lesson.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Morewood
Better not dawdle serving that drink. Good way to get slapped with a pistol.

I love that scene.

It brings a new meaning to: "Walker - Texas Ranger." grin

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When living in Abilene back in time watching folks go to Impact was a hoot.

There was a lot of traffic every day but the weekends was special.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Texas has had drive-thru beer & wine stores since the 70’s. Thus was enacted the No Open Container law.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Make mine a paloma

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A little bit more free.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fubarski
NO has had drive thru daiquiris for decades.

Yep. That’s been legal here in TX for many years.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Went there to Abilene to visit a friend, 1975 or so. Drove all the way from SoCal, Meet him at the edge of town, drive to his house, say hi to his wife and ask, How about a pizza and beer for dinner? Reply was "No problem on the pizza but we're going to have to drive for the beer."

Being from SoCal where you could buy anything just about anywhere, 6AM-2AM I said "you're kidding me, a town this big is dry" He said, "there's 3 big Christian colleges here".

So out to Impact we go. What a hoot, a few trailer houses, I seem to recall a gas station maybe, and a package store for buying booze. And it was kinda busy.

WA and OR and PA were damn near as bad for awhile. No real booze except at State stores and so on.

You'd think it was marijuana or something.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Abilene went “wet” in 1978. The “Sale of Alcohol” in Abilene only passed by 70 votes. In a town with a population of over 100K back then. The year I graduated from HS there. Impact has been a ghost town for YEARS now.
And the drinking age back in 1978 was still 18.
It changed to 21 3 years later. The year I turned 21.

But Impact wasn’t the only place you could buy beer back then. The little town of Buffalo Gap, 11 miles south of Abilene was the only place you could buy COLD beer. At a little joint called the BBQ Barn. It’s still there. Impact’s beer wasn’t cold. They didn’t have refrigerative beer coolers there. But they sold lots of styrofoam coolers and bags of ice. The Pinkie’s Liquor Stores in Impact made a FORTUNE back then. They were reportedly “Mob” owned.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just getting back to old Texas

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Went there to Abilene to visit a friend, 1975 or so. Drove all the way from SoCal, Meet him at the edge of town, drive to his house, say hi to his wife and ask, How about a pizza and beer for dinner? Reply was "No problem on the pizza but we're going to have to drive for the beer."

Being from SoCal where you could buy anything just about anywhere, 6AM-2AM I said "you're kidding me, a town this big is dry" He said, "there's 3 big Christian colleges here".

So out to Impact we go. What a hoot, a few trailer houses, I seem to recall a gas station maybe, and a package store for buying booze. And it was kinda busy.

WA and OR and PA were damn near as bad for awhile. No real booze except at State stores and so on.

You'd think it was marijuana or something.

Small world friend! 🤠
There’s ACU, HSU, and McMurray University in Abilene.
A Church of Christ School, and the biggest University there is ACU. HSU, is a Baptist University. McMurray, is a Methodist School. The Church of Christ and Baptist Schools and Church’s fought the sale of booze in Abilene with every resource they had. The Methodists, not so much.

One of Abilene’s claims to fame in the old days was that they “had a Church on EVERY street corner”.
Not really true, but there are a LOT of Churches there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Abilene went “wet” in 1978. The “Sale of Alcohol” in Abilene only passed by 70 votes. In a town with a population of over 100K back then. The year I graduated from HS there. Impact has been a ghost town for YEARS now.

But Impact wasn’t the only place you could buy beer back then. The little town of Buffalo Gap, 11 miles south of Abilene was the only place you could buy COLD beer. At a little joint called the BBQ Barn. It’s still there. Impact’s beer wasn’t cold. They didn’t have refrigerative beer coolers there. But they sold lots of styrofoam coolers and bags of ice. The Pinkie’s Liquor Stores in Impact made a FORTUNE back then. They were reportedly “Mob” owned.

Never heard of the Mob being involved, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I looked into the history of Impact once, quite the story. Apparently pissed off the good leaders of Abilene some, as Impact figured out they could incorporate as a "town" or "city" and make their own rules outside of the big city and county laws.

Sad to here it's a ghost town now.

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

When did you live there ???

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Jeez.

All over the State now?

Never heard of the Mob being involved, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I looked into the history of Impact once, quite the story. Apparently pissed off the good leaders of Abilene some, as Impact figured out they could incorporate as a "town" or "city" and make their own rules outside of the big city and county laws.

Sad to here it's a ghost town now.

Yep. It had quite the storied history. And really pissed off the Mayor and City Council. Which was ran by the Church of Christ. And still is.

I live about 60 miles north of Abilene at the Ranch now. Still go there for “shopping”. Since it’s the only town of any size for at least 100 miles. All the family I had there are now in the Cemetery. Still have a few friends there that haven’t moved away. And my favorite LGS. I get over there about once a week nowadays.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,654
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.