Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by M1Garand
The magento sounds good but I work up loads and chrony at the same time so that puts it out for me.

If you can rig it independent of the barrel, it works OK. Have posted this before. JB has a similar set up. It takes a longer bench.

I built this one to fit the tailgate of my Z-71. Works OK.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So much for a lefty shooting off your tailgate bench..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
HR IC

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I ended up going with ProChrono DLX at 106.00 from midway. 10.00 shipping plus tax. I appreciate the recommendations!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by M1Garand
The magento sounds good but I work up loads and chrony at the same time so that puts it out for me.

If you can rig it independent of the barrel, it works OK. Have posted this before. JB has a similar set up. It takes a longer bench.

DF

So much for a lefty shooting off your tailgate bench..

Build a mirror image.

Shoot it from the left.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=M1Garand]The magento sounds good but I work up loads and chrony at the same time so that puts it out for me.

DF

[/quote

DF How far can your set up be from the MS before it won't read.

Thanks

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The bayonet needs to be right under the line of flight and parallel with the bore. About like when mounted on the barrel.

I check after each shot to make sure it’s close enough and not in line to get blasted.

Haven’t shot one yet.

DF

Edited to better answer your question. It picks up shots pretty well. I’d think over an inch it may not. I’ve not tested it’s limits. Usually half inch or so it works well.

Thought of another question. Will a big bullet register farther away than a tiny one?

Maybe someone knows. Never crossed my mind to test that.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/01/21.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone who has the ProChrono, does muzzle blast effect it? I’ve heard people say it needs to be set up 15’ or so from the muzzle? Thoughts?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Anyone who has the ProChrono, does muzzle blast effect it? I’ve heard people say it needs to be set up 15’ or so from the muzzle? Thoughts?

All chronographs should be set up 10-15' from the muzzle. Having used the ProChrono for 30 years now, no 15' is not necessary. I set up around 10-12'.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It sort of depends on your situation, shooting area etc. I suppose.

I have my own range less than a 100 yards from my front door, putting something up in front of the bench isn't a problem - neither is carrying extra equipment. I used to have (still do, but never use it any more) a chronograph that used screens. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But wind was a problem and keeping the screens up was a problem, and clouds vs. sun shine was a problem.

Since then, I've bought a Magnetospeed Sporter and am very happy with it, even though I don't have to worry about stopping other shooters when I set up the chronograph. It is a new purchase for me and so far it's been flawless in performance.

I considered a Radar unit, but it evidently had a couple of drawbacks - maximum velocity and bullet diameter. I don't know about these drawbacks from personal experience but I've read a respected authority's comments and that is what I've taken away from his experience/comments. I wanted to read what my 17 Hornet was doing and also my 204 Ruger, besides some fast bullets from cartridges.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

All chronographs should be set up 10-15' from the muzzle. Having used the ProChrono for 30 years now, no 15' is not necessary. I set up around 10-12'.

I’ve been wanting to purchase one these for quite some time now but that is what is stopping me. I shoot at my hunting club almost exclusively and there is no way I can set a chrono up 10-15’ in front of my rifle without using a tripod or building some sort of table the exact height needed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.