Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Torqued Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I was introduced to fly fishing this week on a trout trip to Roaring River was a couple coworkers. They solely fly fish and around the campfire they talked me into putting down my spinning rod and giving it a try. After some coaching I was able to roll cast well enough to get lucky enough to hook up with a few Rainbows over the last few days. Now I have the fever and want to go down that rabbit hole. It will be used for trout in Missouri and probably bluegills and such as well to get more experience. The set up I used was an 8'6"-5 weight rod. Just a cheap back up rig one of the guys had. I am looking to spend $300-400 and obviously want the best bang for my buck. Thanks for reading and a bigger thanks for any advice.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
In modern rods I like St. Croix with a moderate action.. Too many rods are like handling a telephone pole... I really like old Fenwick glass rods...

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Start with a moderate action rod, much more versatile. I find most of these new IM bazillion rods to be too stiff. Many times especially when still water fishing giving the rod a little up/down wriggle will just kind of vibrate the fly on the water and trigger strikes. With a stiff rod it is very difficult to do. You would be surprised how good kits in the $150-200 range are today (rod, reel, line). Learn to use this equipment to make delicate, accurate casts out to 30' and you will catch fish, a whole lot of fish. Once you have mastered this equipment then you will have the knowledge to decide on the more expensive tackle.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. I am going to do as much looking as I can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your total budget is $300-$400, I would suggest a combo along these lines:

Redington Classic Trout rod - probably an 8'6" or 9' 4wt or 5wt at $150 (can be found about $20 cheaper on sale at times).

Fenwick Aetos or Fenwick Fenlite Streamflex rod - the Streamflex is discontinued and now sold as the Grey's Streamflex, but some new Fenwick Streamflex rods can still be found on eBay at a discount. The Aetos is under $200 and the discontinued Streamflex can be found for right about $200 or a bit more on eBay. If you plan to fish nymphs more often than not, I would go for at least a 9' rod. If you find a good deal on a Streamflex Plus, I would suggest a 3wt or 4wt. These rods are probably slightly geared more toward nymph fishing, and they have a heavier butt section and lighter tip. A 5wt rod in this series is too heavy for my taste.

I'd recommend a Waterworks Lamson Liquid fly reel of the appropriate size to match the rod (~$100).

I would suggest a Scientific Anglers fly line. These cost anywhere from $30 to $130 and come in many different variations from all-purpose to very technique-specific lines. If you're just starting out and plan to fish dry flies, nymphs, wets and streamers, I'd suggest an all-round versatile floating line matched to the rod weight. If you end up with a fast action rod, you might want to consider one of SA's lines that are designed to be a half-size heavy.

Dacron backing of your choice - probably $10 for a 100 yard spool.

Rod - $200
Reel - $100
Line - $80 (mid-level price - high quality)
Backing - $10

With sales tax, this puts you right near the top end of your planned budget and is good quality kit. I would fish a trout set-up such as this for many years and never feel handicapped by my gear.

The Redington Classic Trout is a moderate action rod that is really nice for fishing dry flies. Also, it's probably easier for a new fly caster to progress with a moderate action rod where you can feel the line load the rod. The Fenwick rods mentioned above are a little bit faster action than the CT. If most of my time was going to be spent fishing nymphs with weight, and maybe an indicator (bobber), I would probably choose one of the two Fenwick rods over the Classic Trout. The Fenwick Streamflex Plus can be found on eBay and includes an extension piece stored up inside the handle to lengthen the rod for tightline nymphing tactics. It might seem a bit gimmicky, but it's not a bad design and works as intended for those who don't want to buy or carry multiple rods.

The Echo Carbon XL is also supposed to be a great rod at a reasonable price. I own a Redington CT and Fenwick Streamflex Plus but not an Echo, so I can't personally vouch for it.

Also, don't be afraid to search various fly fishing forums and scour the classified sections for good, used gear at discounted prices.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just returned home from the big BPS store at Springfield Mo. Had gift cards for there. Ended up bringing home an 8'6" TFO Pro 2-5 weight rod and a Lamson 4/5 reel. Didn't get it spooled up because their machine was out of service.
Thank you CoalCracker for the advice,certainly going to incorporate the backing and line suggestions into thos set up.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Torqued
Just returned home from the big BPS store at Springfield Mo. Had gift cards for there. Ended up bringing home an 8'6" TFO Pro 2-5 weight rod and a Lamson 4/5 reel. Didn't get it spooled up because their machine was out of service.
Thank you CoalCracker for the advice,certainly going to incorporate the backing and line suggestions into thos set up.

Originally Posted by Torqued

Thats a good choice pice picking up a TFO

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CoalCracker

Redington Classic Trout rod - probably an 8'6" or 9' 4wt or 5wt at $150 (can be found about $20 cheaper on sale at times).

Fenwick Aetos or Fenwick Fenlite Streamflex rod - the Streamflex is discontinued and now sold as the Grey's Streamflex, but some new Fenwick Streamflex rods can still be found on eBay at a discount. The Aetos is under $200 and the discontinued Streamflex can be found for right about $200 or a bit more on eBay. If you plan to fish nymphs more often than not, I would go for at least a 9' rod. If you find a good deal on a Streamflex Plus, I would suggest a 3wt or 4wt. These rods are probably slightly geared more toward nymph fishing, and they have a heavier butt section and lighter tip. A 5wt rod in this series is too heavy for my taste.

I'd recommend a Waterworks Lamson Liquid fly reel of the appropriate size to match the rod (~$100).

I would suggest a Scientific Anglers fly line. These cost anywhere from $30 to $130 and come in many different variations from all-purpose to very technique-specific lines. If you're just starting out and plan to fish dry flies, nymphs, wets and streamers, I'd suggest an all-round versatile floating line matched to the rod weight. If you end up with a fast action rod, you might want to consider one of SA's lines that are designed to be a half-size heavy.

Rod - $200
Reel - $100
Backing - $10

With sales tax, this puts you right near the top end of your planned budget and is good quality kit. I would fish a trout set-up such as this for many years and never feel handicapped by my gear.

The Redington Classic Trout is a moderate action rod that is really nice for fishing dry flies. Also, it's probably easier for a new fly caster to progress with a moderate action rod where you can feel the line load the rod. The Fenwick rods mentioned above are a little bit faster action than the CT. If most of my time was going to be spent fishing nymphs with weight, and maybe an indicator (bobber), I would probably choose one of the two Fenwick rods over the Classic Trout. The Fenwick Streamflex Plus can be found on eBay and includes an extension piece stored up inside the handle to lengthen the rod for tightline nymphing tactics. It might seem a bit gimmicky, but it's not a bad design and works as intended for those who don't want to buy or carry multiple rods.

The Echo Carbon XL is also supposed to be a great rod at a reasonable price. I own a Redington CT and Fenwick Streamflex Plus but not an Echo, so I can't personally vouch for it.

Also, don't be afraid to search various fly fishing forums and scour the classified sections for good, used gear at discounted prices.

Very good recommendation.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now take up fly tying using the argument of how much $$$ one will save. Tell her that $100 rooster neck was actually road kill.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/17/21.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal

Rod - $200
Reel - $100
Backing - $10

Very good recommendation.

Yep. I prefer a 9’ 4 Wgt rod for what the OP described.
Fly fishing is a lot of fun, and very relaxing for me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
Now take up fly tying using the argument of how much $$$ one will save. Tell her that $100 rooster neck was actually road kill.

Lol. I might get into tying a few flies. Plan on retiring in a few years,need something to do on rainy days to help keep me out of the LGS.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you haven't bought line yet see if you can test cast different ones before purchasing. TFO has very reasonably priced lines that are supposed to be matched to their rods. That Rod is moderately fast and might do better with one of the heavier lines.Scientific Anglers and Rio both make lines that are a half weight heavy that work well on faster rods.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have not bought line yet. Soaking up the info that you all are sharing with me like a sponge and very happy to be getting input from you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Rod - $200
Reel - $100
Backing - $10

This is exactly what I bought a month ago, went with the Aetos 5wt. Broke my rod last fall and needed to get equipped again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I started on steelhead with a Redington combo deal. Worked decent. Then picked up a Sage rod and Lamson Konic reel. Been bread and butter since.

A good fly shop will likely help more than the latest fly rod - IME.

Me

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

A good fly shop will likely help more than the latest fly rod - IME.

One trip with a good fly fishing guide will help even more.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DBoston
If you haven't bought line yet see if you can test cast different ones before purchasing. TFO has very reasonably priced lines that are supposed to be matched to their rods. That Rod is moderately fast and might do better with one of the heavier lines.Scientific Anglers and Rio both make lines that are a half weight heavy that work well on faster rods.

I have and use a lot of TFO rods, including some Pro and Pro 2 models. I do not consider them at all fast. They are great casting rods for delicate dry fly casting. Overlining is the last thing I would consider for them. The BVK series is quite a bit faster and a far better all-around casting rod but still not fast enough to overline, IMO. The line makes more difference than the rod.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by DBoston

I have and use a lot of TFO rods, including some Pro and Pro 2 models. I do not consider them at all fast. They are great casting rods for delicate dry fly casting. Overlining is the last thing I would consider for them. The BVK series is quite a bit faster and a far better all-around casting rod but still not fast enough to overline, IMO. The line makes more difference than the rod.

I have 2 of the tfo ti crx rods for salt water and salmon fishing and they are definitely faster action in their series of rods

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I just joined here, my first post, but if I had replied earlier my recommendation would've been exactly what you got! I've really come to like TFO Rods, everything about them! I'm fishing one myself and considering trying their new Blue Ribbon series in a 8.5' 4wt? But you made a great choice, and it will do well for bluegills also, no problem!

Most of all, get into fly tying, especially if you're a trout fisherman! I'm 62, fly fished since 1970, and never tried tying until recently after I retired. I love it, gives my fishing an entire new meaning and enjoyment!

Last edited by Windknot; 05/28/21.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Anyone got experience with Taylor rods? Picked up one of the Dynamix 8.5' four weight guys for some trout this fall.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hello, I just joined and I know this thread is old, f you can find an old Fenwick Eagle Graphite, they are imo o e of the best flyrods ever built for the money. The old ones will be black with green wrapping, not to be confused with the new line of eagles from Fenwick, 5 or 6wt will do anything any rod out there will do. You didn't really say what you fished with, nymphs or dry flies I am strictly a dry fly guy, to me, nymphing and " high sticking" is just expensive, glorified bait fishing.. lol. Don't over think it, you can catch as many fish with a $100 rod as you can with a $1500 rod, the fish had no idea how much you spent on your gear, being able to read a stream and presentation is everything, and the best way to learn a stream is to fish it over and over, I am surrounded by class A trout water and fish nearly everyday from April to Sept. I live a stones throw from Penns Creek and Spring Creek and can count on one hand the times I've fished them. When I fish I only consider it a good day if I haven't seen any other fisherman, Penn and Spring Creek looks like a fashion show for an Orvis catalogue... Lol.. no thanks. Enjoy it, and if you are lucky, you'll understand some day that it's not really fish you are after. Best of luck

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Royalwulff
Hello, I just joined and I know this thread is old, f you can find an old Fenwick Eagle Graphite, they are imo o e of the best flyrods ever built for the money.

So true. Bought mine in 1982. Truth is I’ll bet they’re hard to find.

Friends I know swear by TFO

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
They are, but they do come up on ebay now and then. Last one I got was a 6wt for $60. I have a TFO somewhere ( most likely at my daughter's cabin ( brat) my Eagles have long been my back ups and my bass rods. I load my suburban in April with an eagle graphite, two Orvis and a Winston Pure, small camp kitchen, box of fishing gear and it stays there until September. I gave my Hardy to a young man I was mentoring, who has grown into a very good young man and helluva fisherman. Another young man came to me and ask if I would teach him, I would have bet the farm he wouldn't last long... He had the attention span of a gnat... He's now one I can look at and say ( incomplete agreement with his wife) that I created a monster, good news is I taught his wife last summer, now the 3 of us fish regularly and she usually outfishes her husband, and we have this far failed to ever have anything but a great time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute

laugh laugh grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I like my Fenwick & St Croix fly rods but I LOVE my old Browning Silaflex.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dragged a 4 weight Taylor Fly fishing Dynamix all over WY and AK this fall. Performed wonderfully on trout, whitefish, even some small salmon.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
https://www.avidmax.com/redington-v...7-2pAxCRjLP6e_CclxvXF2NyGaoaAge7EALw_wcB
Look up some reviews on the Redington vice. I own 1 as a backup and its fantastic. the combo would fit right in with what you want and comes with a lifetime wrranty. Buy new and you get warranty. Buy used and you get others mistakes.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OXN939
Dragged a 4 weight Taylor Fly fishing Dynamix all over WY and AK this fall. Performed wonderfully on trout, whitefish, even some small salmon.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I could spend some serious time on a creek like that.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.