Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As some of you may know, the 6.5x55 swedish mauser cartridge turns 130 this year. Seems like this cartridge and rifles were way ahead of its time. As an example, my m96 Swedish mauser has a 1 in 7.87" twist. Pretty fast twist for such an old rifle/cartridge. It sure doesn't give up much to the newer rounds like the Creedmoor. Sure, most factory ammo is loaded down because it needs to be safe in grandpa's mauser:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After all, it should be in a museum or just hung on the wall:

Not really, this cartridge hangs with the newer ones of today, with no problem:
Creedmoor on the left, Swede on the right^^^^

After shooting the old girl today, it reminded me that it is a contender in todays world of high bc accurate cartridges. Here's just one group from todays outing with the old swede. Under load development for a military rifle shoot on the 28th of this month:
Pretty much minute of angle for 5 shots, with iron sights. Not bad for such an old cartridge. If you guys have never shot an old Swede, you need to. Pay those respects, you might just be surprised. I know this old rifle and cartridge is one that shoots better than me. Any of you guys have any to share with us? Post them if you have them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
First of all I have no idea how you can accomplish anything on that work bench. Ya gotta sort through your stuff to find what you need and then half the time ya can't find it. That is how it is done. Not neat and tidy like that.

And now, I have five Swedish Mausers. Two long rifles and three 94/14 carbines (one correct and two in sporter stocks). They are a true joy. First one came home back in the early 80's. Twenty bucks from Woolworths. I don't have any ready photos and I have never mastered posting photos on here. Just impossible for me to figure out. Maybe I will do a group shot or two and put them in the gallery with a link.

Anyhow, that is a fabulous grouping.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that is a good looking rifle bsa . love the stock

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I messed with a bunch of Swedish Mausers over the last 40 years, from 94 carbines to M96's, M38's, and a shining example of a M41 sniper. Every mother's son of them shot extremely well. Sadly they're all gone now as my interests don't sit still very long. Now my sole 6.5x55 is a Ruger 1A that is truly my heart's delight- it delivers 1/2MOA groups often enough that I'm tempted to call it a 1/2" gun. There's a spare BRNO M98 action gathering dust here that is kind of earmarked to become a 6.5x55, if I feel a need to build yet another totally unnecessary (for me) deer rifle.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent rifle and cartridge. When we used to have our old military rifle competitions at our club the Swede M96s always took top spot in the Mauser class.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful rifle, the stock reminds me of those Finnish Mosins. Wish my M96 had wood like that.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If I had to choose my pick for greatest smokeless round ever invented it would be choice between 7x57 and 6.5x55. They share many admirable features. First is a ballistic sweet spot that is as perfect today as when introduced. For hunting all but largest, aka massive & exotic game, they are ideal. Not, adequate, but ideal. Not that it makes a big difference, they work as do 100 other choices.

I am getting into mil-surps guns lately and many of the 1890 ish period smokeless rounds used odd size lands an grooves. Like Carcano 2.68 and Mauser 312. And even today these require special loading skills because the rifling is cut deeper than expected. The Sweed got it right from the get go.Also, pressure levels are right. these two as introduced are perfect. I dont want the max load, I want the accurate load. My loading has nothing to do with grandpa.

The other consideration these two are relatively mild in recoil for high power rifles.

I dont know? What is a battle rifle? Why are some rifles called precision? All the modern, cool, buss words apply. If only we could make up a uber-cool new name and put on a good marketing campaign, they would No1, and 2 for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best looking stock on a 96 Swede I've seen. My 1901 has a decent walnut stock but not in that class. No surprise it's accurate too. I've never had one that wasn't no matter the bore marking. 1,2 or 3 they all shoot. Congrats on a great rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old... and new.

- Ruger African/NECG tip-off aperture - Chambered in 6.5x55mm -
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A sweet combination.

GR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Old... and new.

- Ruger African/NECG tip-off aperture - Chambered in 6.5x55mm -
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A sweet combination.

GR

Very nice!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dallased
First of all I have no idea how you can accomplish anything on that work bench. Ya gotta sort through your stuff to find what you need and then half the time ya can't find it. That is how it is done. Not neat and tidy like that.

And now, I have five Swedish Mausers. Two long rifles and three 94/14 carbines (one correct and two in sporter stocks). They are a true joy. First one came home back in the early 80's. Twenty bucks from Woolworths. I don't have any ready photos and I have never mastered posting photos on here. Just impossible for me to figure out. Maybe I will do a group shot or two and put them in the gallery with a link.

Anyhow, that is a fabulous grouping.

Thanks. From what I hear these rifles can become addicting and they multiply in the safe. Ha ha.. That's why I keep it hanging on the wall.. Also, as far as shooting, I am guilty of cherry picking the winning load. Working on loads for the old girl. I didn't show the runner up from yesterdays shooting:

Crappy picture, but you can see the rifle does pretty well. I also fired off some 10 shot groups with the 129gr Hornady interlock load I worked up a couple years ago. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That interlock load is no where near as accurate as the barnes bullets I tried in it a few weeks ago, but I'm trying not to shoot those up. Saving those for my comp on the 28th. Hoping to make them connect like it did a couple weeks ago with that bullet:

My goal is to keep them all in the 10 ring and maybe get a few x's out of the deal... We will see though..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I messed with a bunch of Swedish Mausers over the last 40 years, from 94 carbines to M96's, M38's, and a shining example of a M41 sniper. Every mother's son of them shot extremely well. Sadly they're all gone now as my interests don't sit still very long. Now my sole 6.5x55 is a Ruger 1A that is truly my heart's delight- it delivers 1/2MOA groups often enough that I'm tempted to call it a 1/2" gun. There's a spare BRNO M98 action gathering dust here that is kind of earmarked to become a 6.5x55, if I feel a need to build yet another totally unnecessary (for me) deer rifle.

Sounds like you had a very nice collection at one time. I believe you when you say you have a 1/2 moa rifle. The cartridge itself is very "inherently accurate". One of the good ones for sure, even though it is damn old.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fourbore
If I had to choose my pick for greatest smokeless round ever invented it would be choice between 7x57 and 6.5x55. They share many admirable features. First is a ballistic sweet spot that is as perfect today as when introduced. For hunting all but largest, aka massive & exotic game, they are ideal. Not, adequate, but ideal. Not that it makes a big difference, they work as do 100 other choices.

I am getting into mil-surps guns lately and many of the 1890 ish period smokeless rounds used odd size lands an grooves. Like Carcano 2.68 and Mauser 312. And even today these require special loading skills because the rifling is cut deeper than expected. The Sweed got it right from the get go.Also, pressure levels are right. these two as introduced are perfect. I dont want the max load, I want the accurate load. My loading has nothing to do with grandpa.

The other consideration these two are relatively mild in recoil for high power rifles.

I dont know? What is a battle rifle? Why are some rifles called precision? All the modern, cool, buss words apply. If only we could make up a uber-cool new name and put on a good marketing campaign, they would No1, and 2 for sure.

Very true.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Chopped a 1906 Gustaf Swede down to a 24" barrel, beavered out a new stock, installed a Dayton Triaster trigger, put on a butter knife bolt handle, and its 117 year old tube consistently deals out 1/2 moa accuracy with 140 grain Noslers. Was originally purchased as a truck gun, but it lives in the safe beside Weatherby's, Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, and a Sharps. One of the cheapest but most accurate units in there. Those folks seriously knew how to manufacture a rifle.

For initial tests, I assembled a ladder load series ahead of IMR4350, and every slug tucked into an area that could obscured by a quarter. Will have to stretch it out a few hundred yards to maybe get a valid assessment.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/15/21.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a rather nice CZ 550 American in 6.5x55. Other than being a heavy pig, it's quite accurate - once put 3 Hornady Superformance 140 SST into a single hole. Don't have a photo, but I have a witness. My reloads, (140 grn. NP, under 44.5 grs, RL22) not so much, but then, I'm a novice reloader.

Meebe I'll get the stock slimmed down one day and shave off some weight. I do like the rifle.

I wouldn't mind a custom 1909 in 6.5x55. Wouldn't mind it one bit.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/15/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Chopped a 1906 Gustaf Swede down to a 24" barrel, beavered out a new stock, installed a Dayton Triaster trigger, put on a butter knife bolt handle, and its 117 year old tube consistently deals out 1/2 moa accuracy with 140 grain Noslers. Was originally purchased as a truck gun, but it lives in the safe beside Weatherby's, Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, and a Sharps. One of the cheapest but most accurate units in there. Those folks seriously knew how to manufacture a rifle.

For initial tests, I assembled a ladder load series ahead of IMR4350, and every slug tucked into an area that could obscured by a quarter. Will have to stretch it out a few hundred yards to maybe get a valid assessment.

Your cut down Swede sounds cool. I damn near bought a Kimber of Oregon sporter model made from a Carl Gustaf m96. I figured there would be a good chance it would digest the ammo I load for my all original Swede/Carl Gustaf m96. It's tempting, but he wants too much for the rifle. He's wrongly thinking it has a lot of value because it has Kimber written on it. I'd rather have a Tikka and take full advantage of the potential of the 6.5x55 cartridge, but then that ammo probably wouldn't be safe in my old military rifle... Kind of a catch22...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I like old school powder and new school bullets in the Swede. I settled on IMR-4831 long ago as my all-around powder for it, but after decades of relying on the Hornady 129 SP I know put my faith in 139 Scenars and 130 Berger Hunting VLD's (which could also help explain the ritual 1/2MOA accuracy I get). The M94 carbines religiously got fed 160 RN's out of tradition (stubbornness?) Can you even get 160 RN Hornady's anymore?

Not entirely germane to the discussion, but one thing I like about the 1A is that with no magazine to contend with I can seat bullets way to-hell-and-gone long to take advantage of the long throat in the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old school is my school

Last edited by Pugs; 05/16/21.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pugs
Old school is my school

Guys, I'm here to tell you that Swede handles like a magic wand.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/16/21.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
Old school is my school

That's a beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing with us!

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
149 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 18 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.