Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Like the title says, I need to find a 22-250 small base sizing die. Thanks

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do you need one if I may ask?

I didn't even know they made such a thing for a 22-250

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
They did RCBS has stopped. I have a rifle with a tight chamber .

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cheaper and easier to have a standard reamer run into your chamber
You could do it by hand without even removing the barrel from the action

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you cant find a small base die you might try and change the brand of brass you use...........

It sounds crazy but years ago I had my own reamer made based off of 22-250 Norma brass, then just a few years ago Lapua started making 22-250 brass. Not a chance the Lapua brass will chamber.
I started measuring and found out Lapua brass was .004" bigger at the base than Norma or Federal, if you have a really tight chamber Remington and Winchester are .003"-.004" smaller than Norma or Federal.
Brass can vary a bit from lot to lot, but I have one lot of Lapua 22-250 that is a full .010" bigger at the base than a lot of Remington 22-250 brass

IC B2

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have some Lapua brass and no chance it will chamber.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Besides RCBS I am sure some of the other manufacturers, like Redding would make one or a custom shop would..

however the cheaper route is to have the chamber reamed out with more generous dimensions...

Like many things from when I moved 3 summers ago, I can't find the Small Base set of 22.250 dies I had from RCBS
that I got back in the 90s IIRC....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A .308 Small Base Die will do it. I got mine from Redding.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ttt

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As mentioned above, I think the easier option would be to just have the chamber reamed out to fit your Lapua brass...

I have a tight chamber in a 20 Practical ( custom made).... its a bigger pain than its worth in my opinion..

I'd shoot it more if it wasn't such a hassle dealing with it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LBP

Custom rifle? Remington? What's the story on this rifle. If it was put together by a smith, I'd tell him the chamber is too dang tight and have him fix it. If its a factory rifle, maybe contact the manufacture and have them fix it. No reason for a chamber to be that damn tight. Is there?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by LBP

Custom rifle? Remington? What's the story on this rifle. If it was put together by a smith, I'd tell him the chamber is too dang tight and have him fix it. If its a factory rifle, maybe contact the manufacture and have them fix it. No reason for a chamber to be that damn tight. Is there?

Better question is brass history.

Swifty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by LBP

If you notice my earlier reply on this thread that I had my own reamer made to fit Norma and Federal brass before Lapua got into the 22-250 game..................when Lapua got into the 22-250 game they made their brass much larger at the base than anyone else................A small base die wont fix this !!!!!!!!!!!!

Switch to Norma or Federal brass or get an oversize reamer for Lapua brass

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rifle is a NULA Lapua brass won’t fit.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LBP

Lester, really there is no need to run Lapua in your rifle if other brands will work. Like Boatanchor said. I'll agree with that. I run Sig Sauer brass and get excellent results. 1" groups at 400 and around 2.5" groups at 600. I seriously doubt anyone else is going to beat that by much with any kind of brass.. Especially in a lightweight rifle like a Nula.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LBP

Lester, really there is no need to run Lapua in your rifle if other brands will work. Like Boatanchor said. I'll agree with that. I run Sig Sauer brass and get excellent results. 1" groups at 400 and around 2.5" groups at 600. I seriously doubt anyone else is going to beat that by much with any kind of brass.. Especially in a lightweight rifle like a Nula.

I can say that if new Lapua brass doesn’t fit my rifle I’d want it sorted out myself.

And are those 10 shot groups at those distances BSA, cause if so that’s some fine shooting stuff. I’d likely never part with those rifles. whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There are a number of custom die makers out there. Just have a custom die made.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So y’all are saying that NULA’s don’t follow SAMMI chamber specs?

Or are you saying Lapua sells brass that’s not made to SAMMI specs?

Even with a minimum SAMMI spec match chamber, any new brass made should be smaller than minimum chamber, if not it’s junk brass.
I have 3 such chambers and never had new brass fail to chamber and that includes Lapoopoo although I must say that was the worst buck a piece brass I ever bought. Cull rate was higher than Remington or Winchester, about 20% +.

So yes Lapoopoo does turn out sh*t brass at times.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP

BSA, why would you buy from a company that was convicted of using Sig USA to facilitate the shipment of 38,000 pistols to Columbian and Mexican Cartels?

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
So y’all are saying that NULA’s don’t follow SAMMI chamber specs?

Or are you saying Lapua sells brass that’s not made to SAMMI specs?

Even with a minimum SAMMI spec match chamber, any new brass made should be smaller than minimum chamber, if not it’s junk brass.
I have 3 such chambers and never had new brass fail to chamber and that includes Lapoopoo although I must say that was the worst buck a piece brass I ever bought. Cull rate was higher than Remington or Winchester, about 20% +.

So yes Lapoopoo does turn out sh*t brass at times.

I agree with you there. The reason I said in an earlier post that the rifle is faulty. The chamber should not be that tight. Sorry to others that think it should be. SAAMI specs are there for a reason. Manufactures are supposed to abide by those dimensions/specs. What ever/whoever is at fault, it needs to be fixed. Either rifle or brass in this case.. As for me, my rifles are going to use brass of all manufactures and they are going to shoot well. As for your question about Sig Sauer brass, I bought that a few years ago and have no idea what you are talking about. I know others that have used Sig brass and they have nothing but good to say about it.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.