Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Work fuuckin sucks.

Yup, often anyway. My first 30 was actually pretty good; interesting work and got to work on some new stuff and in interesting places. Last 10, not so much, but well worth the prize at the end. 58 and out the door with a nice incentive to boot.

Sittin’ on the deck watching my catbirds eat the oranges I feed them and watching the cottonwood fluff sail by. That doesn’t suck at all...
I enjoy walking my dog, shooting, hunting or fishing every day now. Was too tired to bother with it most days after work. I will likely get a part time job to help pay for my health insurance at some point until medicare kicks in. The only job I didn't find objectionable in my whole life was working behind the counter at a gun shop. Kind of fun helping/advising customers on guns, scopes, mounts ammo etc.. I've known the manager at the local Dick's sporting goods for years. He says he would love to have me behind the gun counter and can put me to work part time whenever I choose.

The gun counter at a Dick’s Sporting goods... LMAO. When the get real busy you can help out in the sports section giving advise on which is the best sports bra.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
"Bob" needs an upgrade.
More catastrophic coverage.
One of these days one of them 450 pd on the hoof groid nurse,s he portrays as hot on here.
Is gonna be riding him a little to hard cowgirl style.
And squish his guts outta his mouth and azz like a road killed frog.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I hear tell his girlfriend is hot but she has a penis.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Work fuuckin sucks.

Yup, often anyway. My first 30 was actually pretty good; interesting work and got to work on some new stuff and in interesting places. Last 10, not so much, but well worth the prize at the end. 58 and out the door with a nice incentive to boot.

Sittin’ on the deck watching my catbirds eat the oranges I feed them and watching the cottonwood fluff sail by. That doesn’t suck at all...
I enjoy walking my dog, shooting, hunting or fishing every day now. Was too tired to bother with it most days after work. I will likely get a part time job to help pay for my health insurance at some point until medicare kicks in. The only job I didn't find objectionable in my whole life was working behind the counter at a gun shop. Kind of fun helping/advising customers on guns, scopes, mounts ammo etc.. I've known the manager at the local Dick's sporting goods for years. He says he would love to have me behind the gun counter and can put me to work part time whenever I choose.

The gun counter at a Dick’s Sporting goods... LMAO. When the get real busy you can help out in the sports section giving advise on which is the best sports bra.
Helping young ladies pick out bra's don't sound bad to me. They'd only hire you for jock fitter. But then that is where you'd be the happiest. LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of my best memories were made while hunting, fishing, camping or spending time with my friends, family or dogs, particularly on the holidays.
There ain’t nuthin’ wrong with that.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I plan on retiring this summer at 63. Because of this, I will not be able to collect Medicare. My wife does not work but is 66 so she can collect Medicare. If you have to purchase your own health insurance what do you do for coverage? Who do you use? I did a bit of checking and health insurance costs are through the roof. $1,500 a month or more.

My brother just retired at 63 and told me he found a basic plan to cover him for $400 a month, does not cover small items but should something big happen he is covered.

Ted
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I plan on retiring this summer at 63. Because of this, I will not be able to collect Medicare. My wife does not work but is 66 so she can collect Medicare. If you have to purchase your own health insurance what do you do for coverage? Who do you use? I did a bit of checking and health insurance costs are through the roof. $1,500 a month or more.

My brother just retired at 63 and told me he found a basic plan to cover him for $400 a month, does not cover small items but should something big happen he is covered.

Yep.
Catastrophic coverage should bridge him up to Medicare and at a much lower cost/month.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
at one time Biden was talking about opening up Medicare to people as young as I think 55.

That would shift a ton of health care cost onto Uncle Sam but early retirements would explode if they did. That would open up the job market for all those Mellinials that owe $100K in student loans he won't forgive.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by hanco
Having a pension is nice, fewer and fewer pension plans out there. I’m thankful I’ll have one when I retire. It cost me a lot to get a job that had a pension, but have made up for it.
When are you going to retire? You've been saying "any day now" for at least the last 5 years... grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm on the freedom 99 plan on the farm

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was pretty much in your situation a couple of years ago Andrews except my wife wasn’t eligible for Medicare. I retired when we were both 62 so after my COBRA coverage expired I needed to buy a year’s worth of coverage before we became medicare eligible. The only plan I could buy was through the exchange, i.e. Obamacare because of a pre-existing condition (I had cancer treatments within the past 3 years).

The premiums for us cost about $2850 per month but what I learned was surprising to say the least. If my total adjusted gross income is less than $68,900 this year then the premiums are completely subsidized (thanks much all you taxpayers). Last year I had a chance to do some contract work and was happy to do that, but had to give it up last month so as to not take a chance of exceeding the limit since adjusted gross income includes interest, dividends, capital gains distributions, etc, things that can be hard to estimate.

After working for 41 years this is the first time I feel like a net taker from the fed govt. So look into that option. Go to healthcare.gov and you’ll be able to find a private insurance broker that will guide you through the process.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by antlers
You can start getting Social Security benefits as early as age 62. And you’re eligible for Medicare benefits at age 65.
You get 70% adiveof the amount you would get at full retirement age.
Yep. It’s a trade-off.

Take a peek at that article I posted above. For me, I’d rather start drawing it at age 62 (even though it’s 70% of the amount I’d draw at full retirement age) and live into my 80’s (or more)...than to work until full retirement age (and draw 100% of SS benefits) and then die within 2 years after retirement.

Excellent advice! That is why I am retiring at 63

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quit at 61. Wife and I planned for it, got me on her insurance with her employer the year before.

Her company sent a notice this last enrollment period that spouse coverage for spouses that could be covered where they work would be subject to a surcharge.

Never heard of that one before?

Lots of guys I worked with had health coverage with their wife's company because the gang of scrooges that run the company kept us on chitty ins plus the percentage we paid was a lot higher than most.

andrews, good luck with retirement!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can start getting Social Security benefits as early as age 62. And you’re eligible for Medicare benefits at age 65.
You get 70% of the amount you would get at full retirement age.
Yep. It’s a trade-off.

Take a peek at that article I posted above. For me, I’d rather start drawing it at age 62 (even though it’s 70% of the amount I’d draw at full retirement age) and live into my 80’s (or more)...than to work until full retirement age (and draw 100% of SS benefits) and then die within 2 years after retirement.

Yep, I felt like the job was killing me. And then came the chinese lung funk and it became a giant PIA.

My wife told me it was time 62 or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wife just retired last september. she had anthem insurance . i'm a contractor and have been on her insurance for years. we called a friend that works in insurance ans she sent us info on a 6 different plans we could get . some plans were free but had very high deductables. we got one that is almost exactly like what we had with anthem. health,eye care ,dental and meds are all covered. only differents we've seen is we now pay 10.00 unfront at doctor visits.

it only cost 111.00 per month for both of us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duck911
If you’re strong and healthy, do without it for a couple of years.

Whatever you do, DON'T DO THIS.

One bad stint in the hospital and you could be sucked dry, financially. Don't gamble your life savings on a few years of good health at your age. Chit, my 25 year old son has health insurance.

Did you do ANY financial planning? Yes, health insurance is costly, especially when paying out of pocket with no employer plan pitching in. You should have had that in the big plan all along.

I'd hire some help and go over options.

With all due respect, that you are retiring and are only now considering healthcare and asking those questions HERE, means you really need some help.

Good luck in retirement!

This right here. At 63-64 you can be great one day and in the ER the next. One day in the ER an operation and a week or so in the hospital can wipe out an average persons lifetime savings. If you have anything at all you want to keep better have health insurance. Why do you think the premiums are that high. Because medical costs are high. I went from one day loading up my truck for a 21 day two state hunt to the next 10 days in the hospital. $230,000. Dont think because your good today you will be good a week from now. Just the drug cost after your hospitalization can cripple you. That $1500 a month for a couple years is chump change compared to health costs.
20 years ago when I hired a financial planner the very first thing he did was insist that I get health insurance. He told me a sure fire way to lose everything you worked are medical costs. Maybe a different story if you are 25 but over 50 not a good plan going without insurance.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Having a pension is nice, fewer and fewer pension plans out there. I’m thankful I’ll have one when I retire. It cost me a lot to get a job that had a pension, but have made up for it.
When are you going to retire? You've been saying "any day now" for at least the last 5 years... grin

I’m thinking December, maybe??? Every year gives me 230.00 a month. A couple more would let Wifey retire at 62. It’s easy where I work, no stress.

Last edited by hanco; 05/16/21.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.