Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Got the gout in an ankle and Achilles I injured as a youth in a wreck. Toes are fine and not typical gout symptoms but the ankle has been stiff and phenomenally painful for more than a month. Doctor prescribed steroids pack and I've hit the anti inflammatory like Advil. It helps.

It's still a bit stiff and painful but I feel at about 80% so long as I'm not on it much. But still that's a lot of pain relief. I don't have any real alcohol consumption with 2-3 beers per year with a meal and that's all. I do eat plenty of meat though. Been hitting the cherry juice to see if that will help.

Is there anything or wisdom anyone wants to lend concerning this condition and advice? It literally came on overnight and when I awoke I had an inflamed foot and for 3 days couldn't walk and was on crutches in pain. Scary stuff.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colchicine was what I was given the last major flare up I had. Fixed me within a day. If you take it, stay near a bathroom.

Drink lots of water. Dilution is the solution to pollution.

Eye doctor told me to make a list of foods I’d ate back to 3 days before a flare up. Keep a log after every flare up. In time I’d learn my trigger food.

A few months ago had my first flare up in several years. Was in my knee the day before vacation. Took a nap 4 days into the vacation. Woke up 95% pain free. Where that morning I was hurting badly. Like a light switch.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Black cherry juice.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I take Allopurinol and have for quite a few years, I keep my gout level below 4. It's nothing to mess around with cause long-term joint issues if left untreated.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Got the gout in an ankle and Achilles I injured as a youth in a wreck. Toes are fine and not typical gout symptoms but the ankle has been stiff and phenomenally painful for more than a month. Doctor prescribed steroids pack and I've hit the anti inflammatory like Advil. It helps.

It's still a bit stiff and painful but I feel at about 80% so long as I'm not on it much. But still that's a lot of pain relief. I don't have any real alcohol consumption with 2-3 beers per year with a meal and that's all. I do eat plenty of meat though. Been hitting the cherry juice to see if that will help.

Is there anything or wisdom anyone wants to lend concerning this condition and advice? It literally came on overnight and when I awoke I had an inflamed foot and for 3 days couldn't walk and was on crutches in pain. Scary stuff.

25 bucks on amazon. one leg at a time

Do these exercises

https://www.verywellhealth.com/help-with-bad-ankle-injuries-2549425

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colchicine for the flareup. Until you’re feeling gacky and shooting yellow flame out the tailpipe. Hate that stuff, but it works.

Then either Allopurinol or Uloric, depending on whether you are an over-producer or an under-excreter, if you need a daily.

I’d rather skip over the Advil or Indocin and go straight to prednisone if I’m hurting, but it’s been years since it’s been an issue for me since I started on the right pill.

Last edited by RickBin; 05/16/21.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I take Allopurinol and have for quite a few years, I keep my gout level below 4. It's nothing to mess around with cause long-term joint issues if left untreated.

Doc told me Allopurinol is for prevention, and very good for it. But to never take it during an attack as it will make it worse. I never went against his thoughts, so I can’t say if he was right or not....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Research a diet to reduce odds of gout. Drink more than 2L of water a day.

No organ meat and not many nuts.

I get gout rarely in my right big toe. Gout goes after injured joints. I hurt my toe in college rec floor (ball) hockey. I use Vimovo or Naproxen to reduce the inflammation. If I jump on it right away, I can get rid of it in 2-3 days or so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beer (especially the good dark stuff), oatmeal, and high fructose corn syrups are triggers for me.

Good luck, and hydrate!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Poke around on the net for foods that can bring it on, see if there is anything you eat a lot of. Cut them out and if the pain stops you could add them back one at time. As Cheesy said, water, water, water. Works for me, sort of.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good advice above, considering your previous line of work amazing there aren't more issues. Goes to show what a tough SOB you are!

You might want to go and get some x-rays/MRI of the afflicted area to see if there are any bone spurs, calcification, adhesions etc. that have built up over the years. Those types of things can stay dormant for quite some time and then out of nowhere stick it to you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rub some dirt on it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RickBin
Colchicine for the flareup. Until you’re feeling gacky and shooting yellow flame out the tailpipe. Hate that stuff, but it works.

Then either Allopurinol or Uloric, depending on whether you are an over-producer or an under-excreter, if you need a daily.

I’d rather skip over the Advil or Indocin and go straight to prednisone if I’m hurting, but it’s been years since it’s been an issue for me since I started on the right pill.

This, cherry juice doesn’t do a fuucking thing. I get it in the balls of my feet, hurts like a bastard. And skinny guys get it too so don’t start talking shiit bitches

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
Colchicine for the flareup. Until you’re feeling gacky and shooting yellow flame out the tailpipe. Hate that stuff, but it works. Then either Allopurinol or Uloric, depending on whether you are an over-producer or an under-excreter, if you need a daily. I’d rather skip over the Advil or Indocin and go straight to prednisone if I’m hurting, but it’s been years since it’s been an issue for me since I started on the right pill.
That post is GOOD. Uric acid in system is causative. The colchicine seems to break down the crystalline formations that cause the acute attack symptoms. The Allopurinol on steady dose is meant to keep uric acid level under control - can also help overall kidney performance - Creatinine lower and GFR higher when applicable.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've had the prednisone and colchicine and it's helped a lot. Someone mentioned trigger foods and I think I may have narrowed it down. Recently I was using my new Pit Barrel cooker and BBQ experimenting a lot. But I was eating lots of nuts and cashews. Now that I look back I think they could have been a culprit.

I like drinking water so I'm good in that area. But the gout is new to me and terrible painful. I'd hate to walk in to a remote area and wake up with awful case of gout the next day. That would be a killer to get yourself out.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dont mean to butt in but it took years for me to find what messed my joints. Turned out to be turkey. I dont know what is in turkey meat but it really messes with my joints.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Canned catfood can be pretty hard on humans. Lots of proteins in excessive meat intake and certain types of meats.

Ya ain’t been chowing on a bunch of sardines or kippers have you? Or Little Friskie’s

Protein And Purines

Our feline friends need, primarily, animal proteins in their diet, according to WebMD. While all animal-based protein sources contain purines, some contain more than others. Organ meats like liver or kidneys, and certain types of fish such as sardines and herring, contain the highest amounts of purine, according to the Arthritis Foundation. You want to avoid such ingredients in your kitty's food, instead opting for protein sources lower in purines such as eggs, poultry and meat. Your vet can recommend a prescription cat food that's low in purines and contains just enough protein for your kitty's dietary needs to retard urate crystal in his urine.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Canned catfood can be pretty hard on humans. Lots of proteins in excessive meat intake and certain types of meats.

Ya ain’t been chowing on a bunch of sardines or kippers have you? Or Little Friskie’s

Protein And Purines

Our feline friends need, primarily, animal proteins in their diet, according to WebMD. While all animal-based protein sources contain purines, some contain more than others. Organ meats like liver or kidneys, and certain types of fish such as sardines and herring, contain the highest amounts of purine, according to the Arthritis Foundation. You want to avoid such ingredients in your kitty's food, instead opting for protein sources lower in purines such as eggs, poultry and meat. Your vet can recommend a prescription cat food that's low in purines and contains just enough protein for your kitty's dietary needs to retard urate crystal in his urine.

You actually might be onto something. I did eat a cheap can of tuna that I made into toasted tuna sandwich mix. I rarely eat it ever and this was eaten in that time frame I got gout.

I love cooking and smoking outside and have done so forever so there wasn't anything I can think of that was outside the box other than cashews and canned tuna. I eat tons of turkey and love it but it's been 3 months since I've had turkey so I'm good there.

Will have to watch the nuts and the canned kitty tuna. 😺

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Peanuts will set off my gout in a heartbeat. As does canned spinach.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Get it under control, then get on a preventative! As already mentioned, it attacks injured joints, and each attack causes a little more injury.

Cashews and asparagus are the two worst triggers for me, with red wine not far behind.

Dale

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 14 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.