Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
FS- I have what I believe to be an authentic factory Super Grade featherweight stock, unaltered and in excellent condition.

It wears a composit butt plate, which should date it as "late". Rule's book at p. 232 shows a featherweight Super Grade dated to 1960 with a composit butt plate.

I don't own any Super Grade pre-64's, and I hunt with all my guns, so this high-condition stock would be perfect for someone looking to restore a collectible example. These are very rare, so I can't consider low balls or trades. Take a look at the pics and see what you think. If you are seriously interested, please PM me.

https://imgur.com/a/rEY4nki

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 05/16/21.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks like a very nice stock.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Looks like a very nice stock.

Thanks AKW. It is a super nice stock.
Somebody just asked me to post an additional photo of the barrel channel inlet, and I've done that now. I have dropped a pre-64 FWT action into it and the barrel/rcvr contours fit perfectly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The wood looks absolutely brand new (freshly made) without a nick. Then there is a buggered grip cap screw? The swivels aren't perfect nor is the buttplate, but the wood is? I think a good man with a duplicator made the wood. The wood is so perfect and then the grip cap???? That is my opinion anyhow.

Last edited by sbrmike; 05/16/21.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
There are actually some nicks and dents (very minor) in the stock. You can also see some wear on the toe and around the sling bases. It certainly isn't fresh made.

I pulled the butt plate to see if there was any pencil under it indicating anything useful, but that was blank. There is a small "o" stamped into the wood of the bottom inlet. Would this mean anything?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When was the checkering wrapping the pistol grip stopped? I don’t see many Super Grades.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is the price?

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All Supergrades had the wrap around checkering.

ETA: I am sorry but I disagree. The bottom metal inletting looks too fresh, too perfect in relation to the attachments. The last picture showing the less than perfect forend attachment looks amateur as well.

Last edited by sbrmike; 05/17/21.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by sbrmike
All Supergrades had the wrap around checkering.

ETA: I am sorry but I disagree. The bottom metal inletting looks too fresh, too perfect in relation to the attachments. The last picture showing the less than perfect forend attachment looks amateur as well.

Thanks for your comments, because I've never seen an early 60's SG inletting, and in particular the inside of a foreend attachment. Have you looked at one or some? Do you have a photo you could post here?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have owned a few Supergrades but no SG Fwts. I never saw a forend area like that, looks like a dremel did that? I don't think I have pics of my supergrades.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by NYNY

A 1949 Supergrade FW was much different from an early 1960's SG FW.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser

No such thing as a "1949 supergrade FW".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser

No such thing as a "1949 supergrade FW".

Sorry, I mispoke. I should have written "A 1949 Supergrade was much different from an early 1960's SG FW."

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 05/17/21.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Poconojack was good enough to supply several excellent photos of pre-64 FW stocks, including a Super Grade. See the link.
In particular I'm impressed by the similarity between the forend cap attachment at the barrel channel. Looks almost identical to mine. Mine looks a little different because some finish has chipped from the channel... it isn't a dremel tool mark.

https://imgur.com/a/pLLxcQs

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is certainly similar. I will say that is a genuine Winchester Super Grade Featherweight stock. Winchester craftsmanship was definitely in decline by the time those two were made!

It appears for whatever reason, the previous owner removed the attachments to the stock, possibly had the stock professionally refinished (perhaps not) and then did not upgrade the attachments, i.e. buttplate, grip cap with screw, and swivel bases with screws. The condition of the wood does not match the wear of the other components.

Double check the length of pull. If it is good, the stock is good. I would think it will bring north of a thousand dollars. The only Super Grade Featherweights I ever personally saw for sale were all 270's and all cut with pads. This was at least 15 years ago for the last one, and no one would touch those guns @ $1,400.00 - $1,700.00 back then because the chance of finding an unmolested stock for them to bring the big money was pretty slim.

Last edited by sbrmike; 05/17/21.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
SBRmike- I appreciate your help assessing this stock, and your judgement of it (particularly since I agree with it!).

The OAL on this SG FW stock is just over 32 inches. The other pre-64 FW stock I have (not SG) is nearly 32.25 inches. So my SG appears uncut.

I've had a very experienced local collector and stock builder, who has already recovered from his M70 collecting phase, tell me today he also thinks the stock is "right." I have one more authority to possibly run it by, but he is 40 miles away and requires an appointment, so I might not get to him.

Now we need to find the right collector to re-home this to. I'd certainly allow a 3-day inspection. Anybody, please PM me if seriously interested, just don't be a grumpy old coot. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 05/17/21.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I've just posted about this stock over on the Winchester Collectors Forum website. If any of you are members, you can follow the discussion there.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...when you pulled the pad, were there two seven inch holes in the stock? Rule, page 81

Last edited by TSIBINDI; 05/18/21.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
No, the butt stock is not drilled. I weighed the stock though, and it is just under 2.3 lbs. Seems pretty light already for a stock with a cheek piece. Is it possible Winchester only drilled the pre-64 SG FW stock if it was over a certain weight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.