Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My experience is 10% do 90% of the killing.
I never worried about the other 90%

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The herd size numbers are nonsense and have been for a long time. Everytime CPW is challenged to actually find the number of elk they claim exist based on their "models", they are forced to cut their claim by a factor of 2 or more. Turns out you can't shoot modeled elk, only actual elk.

I suspect the hunt success numbers are dubious for draw tags, and complete garbage for OTC tags.

We need to eliminate OTC tags, base tag numbers on reliably measured herd sizes, and put bounties on coyotes and bears if we ever want to see decent public land elk hunting again. It'll never happen.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/01/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Let me help you put success rates into a context that is easier to understand.... and, any one reading this... feel free to respond with your own numbers....

Lets say that last year... the DOW released 100 bull tags for a given area, for a given season for elk.... and they report that 25 bull tags were filled with branch antlers bulls for a 25% success rate, for that season...,

You might read that and think.... Ya, I can hunt that tag and have a 25% chance of filling my tag. And you would be wrong.... let's do the math....

The DOW released 100 bull tags....

3 tag holders never showed up
7 tag holders showed up, but never sobered up long enough to leave camp...
16 tag holders came well equipped with campers and $3000 rifles that shoot 900 yards... but road hunted the whole week, and their ass never left the seat of their King Ranch pickup...
21 tag holders pulled trailers full of four wheelers and side by sides and set up camp and drove all over hell and gone and to glassing spots over and over all week...
27 tag holders got up early the first two days... were back at camp by noon, and then never left camp after that... and pulled stakes on the afternoon of day 4...

25 tag holders, showed up a little early... scouted just a bit...previously hunted the same area... rolled out of the sac at 315am no matter how sore he was... had really good boots and left early every morning, hiking in the dark... stayed out all day... payed extra attention to his sent controle and wind direction, hiked back to camp in the dark, and killed a average bull after 3-4 days of effort.

1 tag holder, did the same as the previous 25 successful tag holders... saw an average bull in rifle range... but passed on it hoping for a bigger bull... but went the whole week with out connecting with a bigger bull, and end up eating that tag... and was just as happy as the 25 successful hunters...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The entire wildlife in Colorado is now politically controlled and has been for several years.Liberals have taken over the state government and Polis's CPW commission is filled with his appointees. Even a wolf lover. Most have no bearing or experience with wildlife and the same liberals through out Colorado get enough signatures on the voter initiatives to get it on a ballet and then get it passed.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Mikieb,
Your analysis is very humorous and pretty close to the truth! LOL!

Saddlesore,
You hit the nail on the head. One look at the bios of the CPW Commission confirms your observation. I listened to the audio of a couple of commission meetings and both times were a clown show. Lord help us.

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Born and raised in N.W. Colorado, killed a lot of Elk and Mule deer in N.W, Colorado, i Sold out my land in Colorado in 1986, and have no regrets.when John Denver showed up singing Rocky Mountain High, some one should have shot the sorry Bastard . Rio7

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WAM
Mikieb,
Your analysis is very humorous and pretty close to the truth! LOL!

Saddlesore,
You hit the nail on the head. One look at the bios of the CPW Commission confirms your observation. I listened to the audio of a couple of commission meetings and both times were a clown show. Lord help us.

Happy Trails

Actually it's very far from the truth. More like a 15% success rate.

Of those, 13 hunters shot an elk off their back deck or having paid a trespass fee on private land. They all slapped eachother on the back about what great hunters they were, not at all like those "road hunters" out on the public land.

Of the remaining 86, they hunted on public land. 1 guy poached an elk on private land but thought it was public because he doesn't know how to work a GPS. The remaining 85 hunted one elk and it doesn't really matter what they did. Someone killed it.

Then the CPW came by and said there were 3,570.5 elk because a computer in Denver told them it was true.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/02/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

---->Actually it's very far from the truth. More like a 15% success rate.

I was just using the 25% for easy math... but you get my point....

The old saying... 90% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters is true.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
And private land is the #1 factor determining who's in which group.

Yes, there are hunters that succeed on public land, but the rate is VERY VERY low. How low, CPW doesn't want to say...

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
LB,
Not sure your analysis is any better than Mikieb. His was way funnier! LOL!
Happy Trails

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It takes a couple of years to get to know an area but if nobody is killing elk there you should move on & start the process in a different place. I have buddies who hunted 10 years killed 2 elk in their spot. Got tired of hearing about me killing one every year & moved to the adjacent zone now they have one or more opportunities just about every season. Not talking about hard charging guys - very average effort & they all do better than 20%.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Id think if the cpw published the otc, un-guided, public land, bull elk success rate, they would take one helluva pay cut very quickly!

But if you work hard and are smart it can be 100%. I'm a slacker and have 33 Bulls and 13 cows over a 35 year run of elk hunting. Many gobs of passes mixed in there too, either cause the freezer was already full or looking for "the big one".

The above break down of the 100 tags was pretty good writing! Only funny cause it is true.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Ditto. I have a buddy who has set up elk camp and hunted the same place during late archery season for 21 years and he, his brother and other hunting buddy have killed exactly 1 elk and that was 19 years ago. I think I’d burn the tent in place and move on! What’s that? 1.5% success rate?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
Ditto. I have a buddy who has set up elk camp and hunted the same place during late archery season for 21 years and he, his brother and other hunting buddy have killed exactly 1 elk and that was 19 years ago. I think I’d burn the tent in place and move on! What’s that? 1.5% success rate?

I have listened to guys yap about deer and elk camp, you can tell from what they’re saying, it isn’t a hunt they’re going on, but, a social event to get away from their wives.

#NoMeatEverHanging

Laffin

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by WAM

I have listened to guys yap about deer and elk camp, you can tell from what they’re saying, it isn’t a hunt they’re going on, but, a social event to get away from their wives.

#NoMeatEverHanging

Laffin

🦫

Yep, have had a few buddy’s guide in Idaho and Montana, they get to fill a buncha tags annually as most clients wanna snort coke and drink the whole trip… then the locales that make camp and drink the whole season, and claim folks that kill bulls every year are cheating or poaching… never gets old, the excuses… haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The pal I referred to above is a pretty serious hunter. We goose hunt all season long, but I don’t go to archery elk camp with him. Too low probability of opportunity.

We have had a few hunters drift in and out of our elk hunting bunch that just want to drink more and hunt less. We help them make their decision to hunt elsewhere the next season. I’ll take a drink with the best of them, but I have never let boozing interfere with my hunt. Some douche bags never let hunting interfere with eating and drinking! LOL!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep. My group has changed for similar reasons. If you are hunting to close the bar & bring some honky tonk special back to camp - that isn’t what I’m interested in having for a hunting partner.

Hunt hard all day eat dinner have a drink & collapse to get ready for the morning. Help haul when other guys are successful even if you haven’t filled a tag yet - hunt the AM before hauling out your first load. Drag your rifle along to add to the work if you like but help.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by specneeds
Yep. My group has changed for similar reasons. If you are hunting to close the bar & bring some honky tonk special back to camp - that isn’t what I’m interested in having for a hunting partner.

Hunt hard all day eat dinner have a drink & collapse to get ready for the morning. Help haul when other guys are successful even if you haven’t filled a tag yet - hunt the AM before hauling out your first load. Drag your rifle along to add to the work if you like but help.

Hunt or drink!

Keep them separate, and you'll enjoy your hunting a lot more!

I'm not saying, not to relax in the evening, with a beverage, after the work gets done!

I'm agreeing with,specneeds!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This Coloradan will be filling his elk tag in Utah this year, piss on Colorado!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The educated elk is way too true. We csmped in Rocky mtn. Park west side once at the start of muzzle loading ( not hunting). Saturday morning around 60 cows walked through the grounds. So they were moving into the safe area.

As for CPW, other than wanting more money I do not believe anything they say

Last edited by kennyd; 08/28/21.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.