Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm working on a plan B for elk season. We put in for a rifle unit that typically requires more points than we have. Plan B is OTC either-sex archery. I'm personally familiar with the success rates (or lack there of) of elk archery seasons. I've drawn on several and have yet to put one in the freezer. The question is how accurate are the stats on percent success as posted by the Parks and Wildlife? I've gotten the wildlife robo calls about our hunt and don't remember following up. I'm sure that happens a lot especially when people are successful and they repeatedly hunt that unit. Oops forgot to call back. There are units with consistent single digit success rates that I know have decent elk herds. I get it, just because there are elk there doesn't mean killing them is guaranteed. Seems like some of the success rates don't add up.

BP-B2

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never found them to be very accurate. I grew up in CO and dont know anyone that ever said they took an animal on a survey since they didnt want to let others know an area is good. Consider that for a moment on a voluntary survey. The only things I got that were documented were sheep and goat because they have to be checked in person at a DOW station. I also shot 2 bear in CO but that was before it was mandatory to get them checked like it is now.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Awhile back I did a post on the accuracy (or lack of)of their herd counts and some of the well known posters here really dinged me on it so I won't say much.

Personally I wouldn't believe anything they put out except maybe the draw statistics. Those are pretty much taken right out of their computer.Everything else, they take some limited survey and then let their computers do the modeling for the results.

I don't hunt a lot of units, but the ones I have generally have not agreed with their figures

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Not only have I been removed from the high country for too long, the older I get, the less I know about anything! When I was working for outfitters the success rate was always swollen , imo, as nobody wished to suck as a guide or outfitter. The outfitters were highly regulated , mostly by the Forest Service, then DOW. The outfitters I worked for kept very accurate log books, so over a decade a pretty fair idea of success rates could be garnished for guided, economy and drop camp hunts! IMHO! I kept a log book of all my hunts back then as well, and my personal success rates from all the camps I worked , economy , guided and drop camps was less than 20 percent. I believe much of the DOW statistics back then may have used some of this intelligence!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Moose sheep and goat is gonna be pretty much right on the money as it is highly regulated and people don't want to pay the penalty if they were to get caught not reporting. Some chronic liars will lie but there is no reason to, in all reality you will not draw until every animal you saw is dead of natural causes.

Deer and elk # are just plain delusional... MAYBE slightly more accurate than the population counts which are just lies to the point of being propaganda #'s.

One thing is true though you can put a good elk hunter in a bad unit/season and he will fill his freezer pretty much every year after he has a bit of time to learn it. And if he is a good elk hunter he will know to spend the time to know it very quickly, else he isn't a good elk hunter to begin with.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I look at the success rate numbers as a simple data point in comparison to other units and then i look at the numbers of a given unit over time. I have no idea if the numbers are accurate, i suspect they are not. But, trends over time are useful if that makes sense.

With respect to herd counts. CPW stopped by our camp last year. My uncle, (and the rest of my family) has hunted the exact same place every single year since 1974, complained that there aren't nearly the elk there were 20 years ago...among other issues. CPW said "their counts indicate the numbers are significantly up for this unit" and proceeded to actually argue that he was mistaken. CPW didn't want to hear what 46 years of eyes on the ground said, they go by winter herd counts of elk that winter 40+ miles away. So, no, herd counts interpolated to unit population are not accurate, just a little better than a SWAG.

CPW is a business that sells access to their personal cash crop. As long as people pay for that access, CPW will be happy. The numbers, your personal experience, crop quality, perception, etc only figure into the equation in so much as their ability to generate revenue. DOW had a hunter oriented culture (at least up to 15-20 years ago)...CPW has a money centric culture, but i digress.

Last edited by Centennial; 05/18/21.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think you could use the numbers for comparison when looking at hunts/units for prospective hunts. More than likely the same relative modeling bias will be in most units. Most statistics are lies and damned lies. Last year, the success rate among hunters on the ranch was 7%. Usually better than 50%. When I say 50%, I mean half the hunters got an elk they had a license for. Some of the hunters kill an elk nearly every season and others are hard luck cases. My long term success rate in that unit has been 57% , so it can vary widely year to year. Best of luck to you!

PS: Some years the elk show up earlier or later and we are SOL. Last year 2nd and 3rd Seasons were a bust at our spot, but they were there en masse during 4th season. Hunter success and herd counts are not on the same curve, I think.

Last edited by WAM; 05/18/21.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Not to be a pessimist BUT, western states F&G need hunter dollars to pay their wages, etc (and to reintroduce wolves). I have dug into several states while a resident there and IMHO there may be an overstatement on both big game populations and harvest success. Again, just my humble opinion.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Appreciate the input everyone, similar to what I was thinking. Thank you. I do know herd sizes do not translate to success per se. In defense of the Parks and Wildlife we've seen less than 10 elk in our prime hunting areas, then drove to private land a few evenings to glass and saw hundreds. Literally hundreds. So if PW said the elk are in the unit, they wouldn't be incorrect, just not a huntable part of the unit. The trend I've seen over the last decade is that elk are moving to private grounds the first signs of hunting pressure. Scouting now, I actually look for prime habitat that borders private land.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Drive up north of Gunnison, Colorado along Ohio Creek to the Caselton Ranch.About 20miles. Starting 1st rifle you will see maybe 500 elk there.However, there are suppose to be 4-5000 in unit 54. Where the heck are the remainder. I can' hunt in any more,but the last 4 years I did, I saw maybe 3-4 elk the entire hunt. The years preceding CPW issuing OTC cow tags and then OtC Bull tags.I had no problem killing an elk every year

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/19/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually do two elk hunts each year. Very few years have I ever been surveyed about success on elk.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Elk have become educated. They pass the learned behavior down to their offspring. This phenomenon happens when the herds figure out sanctuary lands. So the Friday before the first archery season, elk hear doors slamming, tent stakes being driven, and worst of all ATV's being run up and down the forest roads. The lead cows gather the herd and take them down onto the big ranch, where things are quiet and they are hunted less. Nearer to the big urban areas, they seek sanctuary in town on the golf courses and lawns. There was a study done on the Flat Tops with radio or satellite collared elk proving that they moved out the first weekend of archery...and it seems more ATV related than just camping in general.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The herd doesn't need to learn the safe areas. Only the lead cow needs to know that and she got her job by being a smart old bitch.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Elk have become educated. They pass the learned behavior down to their offspring. This phenomenon happens when the herds figure out sanctuary lands. So the Friday before the first archery season, elk hear doors slamming, tent stakes being driven, and worst of all ATV's being run up and down the forest roads. The lead cows gather the herd and take them down onto the big ranch, where things are quiet and they are hunted less. Nearer to the big urban areas, they seek sanctuary in town on the golf courses and lawns. There was a study done on the Flat Tops with radio or satellite collared elk proving that they moved out the first weekend of archery...and it seems more ATV related than just camping in general.

Yep,I have sat on mountain sides a few days before season opens when I hear all the backpackers,pack strings,ATVs moving into the area setting up camps and see the elk go up over the divide into the next drainage and probably further

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/20/21.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Alamosa
I usually do two elk hunts each year. Very few years have I ever been surveyed about success on elk.

Which is weird because I get an survey every year for every hunt that I had a tag for. No rhyme or reason to their method.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like Colorado likes to use the 10% success number across the board but when you consider the private land success levels in any given unit I think that’s the back bone of that 10%. I have hunted three falls now, 2 muzzleloader and 1 archery all in Sept. I have never had an opportunity to shoot any elk, but what’s more discouraging is that it seems to be the consensus of most hunters I talk to. I have yet to see antlers or meat in any camp in that 3 years either. Sure I see elk all over Colorado while out and about recreating throughout the year , mostly on private land but I’ll be damned if I see them in public. I’ve pretty much given up on elk hunting Colorado going into my 4th season here, sure I may screw around , but nothing serious or well planned or too far from home. I do plan to draw a cow tag in Utah this year so hopefully I’ll have some meat in the freezer at some point.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Awhile back I did a post on the accuracy (or lack of)of their herd counts and some of the well known posters here really dinged me on it so I won't say much.

Personally I wouldn't believe anything they put out except maybe the draw statistics. Those are pretty much taken right out of their computer.Everything else, they take some limited survey and then let their computers do the modeling for the results.

I don't hunt a lot of units, but the ones I have generally have not agreed with their figures

I agree. The accuracy of the herd counts is based on modeling, and I think the method results in posted counts that are 5 to 10 years earlier than what is on the ground. They will base leftover tag allotments on inputs from sportsmen, ranchers, farmers, chambers of commerce, and other entities having monetary interests in addition to biologists. 5 or 10 years after antelope(for example) have been exterminated from a particular range, they will once again limit tag numbers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me and a group of friends have hunted the same area since around 2010. The past 4 seasons we saw fewer and fewer game animals; elk and mule deer. In ‘19 and ‘20, we saw VERY few game animals. I have filled out the game survey each season and personally spoken with the area wildlife biologist a couple of times. I have seen no change in the number of permits offered for the area we hunt.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wok right along I-70 near Evergreen This year a herd of elk used the horse pasture almost exclusively adjacent to the interstate to hang out during the season Season ended and they were gone till recently with they are circulating through every 3-4 weeks They literally hung out within throwing distance of the school People were in our parking lot to take pictures at close range Of course no hunting anywhere near the horse pasture, they are smart

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I used to get the survey for every hunt I participated in. I wouldn't call it science. Did you hunt in Unit___? Did you hunt any other Unit? How many days did you hunt? Did you harvest an ____on your hunt? To what level did you feel crowded or uncrowded during your hunt? Were you satisfied with the experience?
Now for Moose and other hard to draw hunts, it is a different story...and it shows in the number of animals on the ground. In twenty years Moose went from rare (in most of the state) to being a constant pest in traditional elk habitats while elk are hard to find.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.