Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks KW and Pappy, not to veer to far off course, but was going through more cans today and found 900+ LC Match 5.56 cases, is that enough to buy a good accurate bolt action rifle in 223? crazy good grief, this is getting out of hand LOL.

Trump Won!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A CMP Service Grade M1 Rifle...?

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

... would be a no-brainer.

GR

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, that's nice Garandimal, if not to nosy, what could one expect to pay for a rifle like that?

Trump Won!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
US Citizen from CMP Service Grade $750 deliver to YOUR door, free ship, free hard case.

Or buy on Gun Broker $1600-1800 plus ship to your local FFL.

I would think the choice was obvious, but; clearly some prefer the high price method.

The CMP is temporary sold out due to crazies and covid. They have 1000's more in storage.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/

Or for you a 700 mile read trip to the store. Where a call ahead is advisable given the zombie apocalypse situation.
On a good day, they will have 1903's, A3's and occasional Krag. Perhaps in $800 to $1000 range. When was the last good day?

They used to take the store on the road to some of the sanctioned CMP matches. I saw them in Vermont pre-covid.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great! Thanks Fourbore, i'll hit the link and try to get on a waiting list Monday.

Trump Won!
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
While you wait they will need some paperwork I believe you can send that ahead and get a buyer number? If not you want to have that ready. Gun orders are don via old fashioned paper and sent USPS. You will need the order form for any guns notarized. You can find a notary at your bank or city hall.

- Birth certificate, or other similar document they list.
- Some proof of shooting like a score card or LTC or over some age limit.
- And you need to be a member of an affiliate club or organization. NRA does not count. Many local clubs are signed up. Or $14 for M1collectors or $25 GrandCollectors. Or $25 join Vermont State Rifle and Pistol Assn.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I came into a full ammo can of that Greek 06 stuff a few years back. It’s a bit hot. But I keep it around for emergency purposes. 😉

I think it may have been loaded up for Garands and M1919A4’s. It was loose ammo and not in Garand clips. Seem to remember an old acquaintance saying that he tore up a certain rifle with it. And for the life of me I can ot remember the the type of rifle???? And he was killed in a bad car wreck so I can’t ask him.

For some reason an FN 49 sticks in my memory. But they are pretty tough and I don’t think that’s what its was

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The Garand requires specific milspec ball ammo. Hot is bad news unless you install a variable gas vent. It is not a matter of tough, the action need proper gas to function and not to much. I believe CMP will include a red letter warning and at the very least that is in the user handbook they provide.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

1959 I cooked 2 M-1 Grands, shooting tracers at night, at Ft.Ord, Calif. Crazy night with to much ammo, it was fun. Rio7

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks again Fourbore, i can handle a little compliance to save half off on a rifle buy.

LOL KW, i shot three different kinds of bullets from my 16" barreled REPR, got 2560, 2564 and 2600 fps, mild loads indeed, but more than enough for casual plinking, only 0'5 i have is a 24" barreled Sako, haven't fired any of the '06 or 5.56 ammo yet, pulled an orange/red tipped '06 load, it was loaded with ball powder.

Smoke em if you got em Rio, bet that was fun, especially in the case of training.

Trump Won!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Gunner 500

We were doing night fire, out 1000 yrds, the targets were huge, tanks,trucks,jeeps, when we were finished this old Sargent , walked up to my pit with a wooden case of tracers, he said shoot them up, I don't want to do the paper work to turn them in, i told him i would but not want to use my rifle, i had a very accurate M-1, that was my baby, the Sargent, walked away and came back with a couple of M-1s, and said shoot this chitt up, being the bad ass 19 year old trooper i was, i went to loading shooting, took me about 20 min. to cook both rifles and shoot up almost a case of tracers, Damn it was fun, best part was i didn't have to pick up the brass. Rio7

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, good stuff Rio, especially drawing three hots and a cot, and a paycheck, looked up some load data for the old Garands, seems light loads of around 46gr H or IMR 4895 as well as WW 748 are the powders to beat using 168 to 175gr boat tail hollow point match bullets, i have around 400 sticks of primed LC Match '06 brass that came in this pile, i need to BOLO 8 lbs of those powders.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well it rained all day, went to the shop counted up the LC primed 30-06 brass, exactly 425 sticks of brass, ordered 500 of the 168gr Nosler custom competition bullets from SPS today, Bud yanked me 4 lbs IMR-4064 powder off his stash to load em with, thinking around 47gr under the 168's at 3.300" to be Garand friendly, now to find a rifle!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
gunner, get one from the CMP. They may not be in stock right now, but they were about $800.00 a while back. I know some guys that have bought them and they shoot just fine. I also know some uppity guys from Vancouver and Portland (Attorney's and other big wigs) that have bought some damn nice CMP rifles that they had worked over: Precision barrels, fine tuned triggers and accurized. Those rifles are said to have costed in excess of $3,000.00. We will be having a military rifle shoot this Saturday and I hope they show up again. A couple of those Attorneys like to brag about how well their garands shoot. In practice I've seen them lay down some sub moa 5 shot groups with irons. They would be damn good, if they could do that and put them in the right place (X-ring or even 10 ring) in the event. The funny thing is watching a braggart lawyer fall apart when its time to show what they are made of, when its their turn on the line. I look forward to next Saturday grin .Incase you hadn't noticed. The only other rifle I am thinking of, that is chambered in 30-06, is an all original m1917. Other than that, what else is there for burning up your ammo? Side note, I shot a garand for the fist time last year at one of our military rifle shoots. I've been a big admirer of them for a long time, as that is what my grandfather qualified with in WWII. To be honest, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Then I shot an m1A 308 Springfield Armory a few months ago and I really liked that rifle. Go figure???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL thanks for the history lesson Buddy, and the story about the Wigs, sometimes they are really comical, have looked into the CMP deal, will have to join a club somewhere, seems my CCW license and passport will meet the other requirements, that said, i have a Buddy that's going through his stash to see what he may find and want to sell me.

Fair rices required, he may have an M1 and M1A, my REPR's will easily smoke all that 7.62 Nato ammo, i quit counting at 4 thousand sticks of brass on that stuff, holy damn!

Also squirreled away and separated another 200 rounds of brand new WW-Super 308 Winchester brass, i'll load that to 2750 fps with the 150gr E-tips over CFE-223 for the house, truck and tractor guns.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL thanks for the history lesson Buddy, and the story about the Wigs, sometimes they are really comical, have looked into the CMP deal, will have to join a club somewhere, seems my CCW license and passport will meet the other requirements, that said, i have a Buddy that's going through his stash to see what he may find and want to sell me.

Fair rices required, he may have an M1 and M1A, my REPR's will easily smoke all that 7.62 Nato ammo, i quit counting at 4 thousand sticks of brass on that stuff, holy damn!

Also squirreled away and separated another 200 rounds of brand new WW-Super 308 Winchester brass, i'll load that to 2750 fps with the 150gr E-tips over CFE-223 for the house, truck and tractor guns.

Pretty cool. Sounds like you hit the jackpot.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes Sir, was trying to claim living right, but that shlt wont fly.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
grin

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Old Buddy got me 4lbs of imr-4064 boxed up and saved today, i'll load those 425 cases whether i can lay my hands on a Garand or not, heck, maybe sell them to someone in need.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Old Buddy got me 4lbs of imr-4064 boxed up and saved today, i'll load those 425 cases whether i can lay my hands on a Garand or not, heck, maybe sell them to someone in need.

Every time I get 4 pounds of powder, I turn around and its gone..!!!! grin

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 2,879 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.