Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My local dealer is ex-military, and has 7-10 of them; some collectors and some shooters. I'll pick one up from him.

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well Gunner it's 8:00 am here in SD what's the report on your Garand before or after breakfast? Mb

Welp, i got hung up here at the farm all day MB, did have a bud go over to the bud that's selling me the rifle, pay him and drop rifle off to our old 'Smith buddy on the way north, he has it and say he'll strip it down for a good cleaning and inspection, said he has the parts to completely rebuild one if he found something worn out of broken, i'll try to shake loose and go see him Thursday.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Biebs
Jerry, I've owned 200-300 rifles in my lifetime, and been down almost every road their is to explore in firearms; double rifles, LR rifles, African rifles, varmint rifles....you name it. But other then a couple AR-15 and AR-10 rifles, and my father's old 30-40 Krag sporter, I've never gotten into military weaponry. The M1 Garand intrigues me for some reason; perhaps beyond its time, but a true battle rifle. I think you've talked me into one.

Good stuff Biebs, my rifle came with 20 eight round clips, a man could have lots of fun walking and gunning around with coat pockets full of those. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lawsy, well the 168 gr BTHP's went 2640 fps av on chrono, i guess that's M1 Garand safe? the cool old Warhorse has no recoil, what a Cadillac Beast it is, hope i didn't under load it, that said, and loading everything balls to the wall fast, i certainly would NOT want to catch one of those rounds, i can see the effectiveness as staying on the sight for fast followup shots is cake, what a cool rifle.

My 89 year old stepdad was a medic in the Korean war, i'm going to bring the rifle over for him to see, he may go back 69 years right before my eyes, i'll also have some ammo and head phones, i'd be thrilled beyond belief if he asks to fire it. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Lawsy, well the 168 gr BTHP's went 2640 fps av on chrono, i guess that's M1 Garand safe? the cool old Warhorse has no recoil, what a Cadillac Beast it is, hope i didn't under load it, that said, and loading everything balls to the wall fast, i certainly would NOT want to catch one of those rounds, i can see the effectiveness as staying on the sight for fast followup shots is cake, what a cool rifle.

My 89 year old stepdad was a medic in the Korean war, i'm going to bring the rifle over for him to see, he may go back 69 years right before my eyes, i'll also have some ammo and head phones, i'd be thrilled beyond belief if he asks to fire it. cool

That would be cool gunner.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gunner, I have the 308 covered with my AR-10, but it doesn't have the nostalgia and history of the M1 Garand and the "30 Government".

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Biebs; 07/04/21.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It damns ure was cool Buddy BSA, and it happened today, [Twice] at the same time,my Mom has a 78 year old cousin, she's a widow, today at Moms house she married the latest member to our extended family, an 80 year old cat named Ronnie that's a widower, he was an Army Ranger in 'nam, stepdad being a medic in Korea, i went to the wedding, after the service i went to the truck with them both pulled the Garand and four loaded clips out, my stepdad's eyes watered up, he knew instantly what that was, i handed it to him, with watered eyes he shouldered the rifle, then said damn, these things werent this heave 70 years ago! grin

He also said, i didn't think i'd ever see a US rifle caliber 30 model M1 again, the old Army Ranger knew what it was too, i brought along a bottle of scotch, us three had a hard swig as we passed the bottle, shook each others hand then went back inside with the chickens and had lunch! a damn cool day my Friend.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Biebs
Gunner, I have the 308 covered with my AR-10, but it doesn't have the nostalgia and history of the M1 Garand and the "30 Government".

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That'll work Biebs, not a better farm and house gun right there.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It damn ure was cool Buddy BSA, and it happened today, [Twice] at the same time,my Mom has a 78 year old cousin, she's a widow, today at Moms house she married the latest member to our extended family, an 80 year old cat named Ronnie that's a widower, he was an Army Ranger in 'nam, stepdad being a medic in Korea, i went to the wedding, after the service i went to the truck with them both pulled the Garand and four loaded clips out, my stepdad's eyes watered up, he knew instantly what that was, i handed it to him, with watered eyes he shouldered the rifle, then said damn, these things werent this heave 70 years ago! grin

He also said, i didnt think i'd ever see a US rifle caliber 30 model M1 again, the old Army Ranger knew what it was too, i brought along a bottle of scotch, us three had a hard swig as we passed the bottle, shook each others hand then went back inside with the chickens and had lunch! a damn cool day my Friend.

That is very cool man. You'll cherish that memory, for sure...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad to hear you went with the Garand, Gunner!
Hope you enjoy it. I’m betting you’ll be surprised and pleased with the accuracy.
I got Dad one before he passed. Completed his collection of WW-II Rifles. He was very pleased with it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes Sir i will Big Buddy BSA, it was cool as hell to see those two old Warhorses go back in time, i was honored to simply be there in their presence, a lot of damn Good Americans still clinging to life Sir, when they, and we are gone, this country is straight to the cshitter, and so goes the rest of the world!

Thanks buddy Neal, my old 'Smith gave me the number rundown on my rifle, it's a March 1943 Springfield receiver with a May 1967 Winchester barrel, he couldn't read the re-import? date as it was poorly stamped, all good though, i'll zero it +2 at 100 and watch it land at 200, ill also shoot a buck with it this season, i wont concern myself whether the 168gr BTHP bullets at 2640 fps will work, i think that'll be a plenty, cool deal on getting your Paps rounded out too! wink

Trump Won!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.