Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone know if hornday's reloading component bullet 75 gr bthp (#2279B or #2279C) is the same as hornady 75gr TAP bullet?

Wanted to use this bullet as general over all bullet.

Any insight into this bullet? Does it like to push hard/fast?

I'm restricted to OAL due to magazine.

Are there other heavy-for caliber bullets I should also be looking at? I have an 1:8 twist barrel, bolt action, 223 wylde chamber.

Thanks for the feed back.

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
70 gr Barnes is a nasty son-o beech.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How heavy?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by leomort
Does anyone know if hornday's reloading component bullet 75 gr bthp (#2279B or #2279C) is the same as hornady 75gr TAP bullet?

Wanted to use this bullet as general over all bullet.

Any insight into this bullet? Does it like to push hard/fast?

I'm restricted to OAL due to magazine.

Are there other heavy-for caliber bullets I should also be looking at? I have an 1:8 twist barrel, bolt action, 223 wylde chamber.

Thanks for the feed back.

They do very well in gel tests, most guys have very good luck getting them to group, and in normal times, they are a good value.

If you have them, I'd load 'em and see what your rifle says.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've tried them and like the Sierra 77SMK and TMK much better. Far less flyers with the sierras. If you are wanting to shoot a good accurate Hornady, try the eld match bullets. Like the 73gr. They are/have been much less temperamental. 69gr sierra matchkings are good bullets too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've tried them and like the Sierra 77SMK and TMK much better. Far less flyers with the sierras. If you are wanting to shoot a good accurate Hornady, try the eld match bullets. Like the 73gr. They are/have been much less temperamental. 69gr sierra matchkings are good bullets too.

For an all around bullet? The 75gr Hornady BTHP match has a good reputation as a hunting bullet. Temperamental as far as shooting groups?
Depends on what you are shooting. What twist. What you're using them for. Lots of people use the 75gr Hornady Match for big game hunting and love em. The do all bullet, I would never say that about the Sierra's match bullets, which are not noted for deer sized game, like most Match bullets.
Sierras match which are maybe a bit better at punching paper, I say maybe. The 75's can shoot out of a 1 in 9 twist decent.77's not so much.69's either, and also a longer bullet, ok if shooting 1 in 7. But a one size fits all? No
Gel testing on U tube & AR .com tells the story on the 75's. They are a shorter bullet for length., same length as the 68gr Hornady match. But the 75 is almost perfect in gel test and punching paper and less $$$$$$. As close to a one size fits all as you can get, but of course it's a Match bullet, you know what the factory will say. But think TAP bullet, it's a winner. Shoot them in something and see for your self, wet newspaper tells the story.

Last edited by doubleDs55; 05/19/21. Reason: spelling

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys for all the feedback!

While I do have a 1:8 twist barrel to help stabilize the heavy for caliber bullets, I am constrain by magazine length. So have to stick to maximum overall length which is 2.250" or 2.260"(?) I believe that would eliminate hornady's 75 gr eld match as they have longer overall length.

I think the Sierra 77gr TMK would stabilize in 1:8 twist? Think Sierra says 1:7 to 1:8 twist would work. Need to check overall length though.

Glad to know that hornday 75 gr bthp are pretty good all around bullet. Added benefit is that they are also relatively cheap! About only negative I heard is that they don't like to be pushed fast, which is ok by me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

While I do have a 1:8 twist barrel to help stabilize the heavy for caliber bullets, I am constrain by magazine length. So have to stick to maximum overall length which is 2.250" or 2.260"(?) I believe that would eliminate hornady's 75 gr eld match as they have longer overall length.

I think the Sierra 77gr TMK would stabilize in 1:8 twist? Think Sierra says 1:7 to 1:8 twist would work. Need to check overall length though.

Glad to know that hornday 75 gr bthp are pretty good all around bullet. Added benefit is that they are also relatively cheap! About only negative I heard is that they don't like to be pushed fast, which is ok by me.

I've heard that too about the 75gr hornady not to push it to fast, IDK how these get traction maybe if you are looking for the last tenth of an inch
accuracy lol. But for me the bullet shoot better than i can so i don't worry about such crap. They work good for what you're looking for.
Before this i always said the 65gr sierra GK was a great do it all bullet for 223/5.56 and i still believe it is. But if you want a bit heavier bullet the 75 gr Hornady is it for the $$$$. I have taken lots of whitetails with the 65 sierra, great bullet. You have to use what you can get in today's craziness, LOL.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yes, the 77gr sierras stabilize in a 1 in 8 twist. They also function very well at 2.240-2.255". You are correct about the 75gr eld match bullet and oal, the reason I suggested the 73 eld match. A while back we had a great thread on the bullet in question. There was a ton of information in that thread. You may want to do a search and read through it. At that time I bought 1,000 of those bullets to test and found them to be inferior. Others also found them to produce pesky fliers. In that thread we discussed velocities and duplicating military otm loads. The consensus was the 77gr SMK produced tighter groups/more reliably accurate loads. 2,750 fps is a good speed for either bullet, as in the mk262 mod1 loading. If you have the 75 hornady match, use them. Your accuracy requirements may not be as high on the priority list as others here. I still have a couple hundred 75 hornady bthp match bullets left and can pass them off to someone at a good price, if they want them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Do you have a spacer in you bolt gun mag? If so, take it out. Had one in my Mod 12 Savage, removed it. I have more options.

IC B3

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Double Ds55, I heard good things about Sierra 65gr gamekings so it also be a good all around bullet to use. They are a little more $$$ than the hornady 75gr bthp so perhaps the gamekings as back up if the 75gr hornady don't work out for some reason.

bas1917hunter, good to know. thank you for the info. I will do a search on those 73gr eld-m and give it a read.

CGPaul, no spacer in the magazine, I have left hand CZ 527 american so it's a mini-action. Disadvantage: constrained by magazine length. Good news: light, walk-about-rifle.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Double Ds55, I heard good things about Sierra 65gr gamekings so it also be a good all around bullet to use. They are a little more $$$ than the hornady 75gr bthp so perhaps the gamekings as back up if the 75gr hornady don't work out for some reason.

bas1917hunter, good to know. thank you for the info. I will do a search on those 73gr eld-m and give it a read.

CGPaul, no spacer in the magazine, I have left hand CZ 527 american so it's a mini-action. Disadvantage: constrained by magazine length. Good news: light, walk-about-rifle.

Yes, the 65gr Game King's are an excellent bullet for whitetail's, coyotes, wolves, antelope + varmints and they shoot nice groups when you want to punch some paper. Close to match bullets, & some say just as good. I think you'll like the Hornady BTHP's. I like H 4895 & Cfe 223, 4320 max loads.
They won't always hold together all the way through on big whitetail's, if they don't make it all the way through they lots of times come right up to the hide on the offside. But core and jacket are not blown to pieces. I took 2 really nice bucks with these, one shot apiece, both are on the wall here.
But I think the 75's might punch through a little better.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yes, the 77gr sierras stabilize in a 1 in 8 twist. They also function very well at 2.240-2.255". You are correct about the 75gr eld match bullet and oal, the reason I suggested the 73 eld match. A while back we had a great thread on the bullet in question. There was a ton of information in that thread. You may want to do a search and read through it. At that time I bought 1,000 of those bullets to test and found them to be inferior. Others also found them to produce pesky fliers. In that thread we discussed velocities and duplicating military otm loads. The consensus was the 77gr SMK produced tighter groups/more reliably accurate loads. 2,750 fps is a good speed for either bullet, as in the mk262 mod1 loading. If you have the 75 hornady match, use them. Your accuracy requirements may not be as high on the priority list as others here. I still have a couple hundred 75 hornady bthp match bullets left and can pass them off to someone at a good price, if they want them.

What do you want for the Hornady's? Really, if you have no need, I'll use em for hunting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've always had the best accuracy ( which was out of bolt actions, I'm not an AR guy), with the 75 BTHP and the 68 BTHP Hornadys....

better than their plastic tip bullets, excepting the 80 grain ELD and 80 gr A Max...

Those and including the 80 grain Sierra HP Match, all shot just fine out of a 1 in 9 twist also....

The more spendy bullets don't do anything for me that the above mentioned won't do, and normally more accurately also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Seafire, thank you for your feedback! Now just got to keep an eye out for them during these shortages.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seafire, thank you for your feedback! Now just got to keep an eye out for them during these shortages.

I Just ordered from Grafs, 20.99 box 2 bx max so 48.99 for 250ct. They have 75 ELD also, & some others, Sierra & Nosler& PP match in stock. .

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
double Ds55, Thank you for the heads up! Order my two boxes of 250ct!

What's PP match?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
double Ds55, Thank you for the heads up! Order my two boxes of 250ct!

What's PP match?
Glad I could help you out!
Prvi partizian match BTHP bulk bullets, they shoot fairly good, not the QC we have here in the states, but I have made good reloads
from their 69gr match bullets, they have 75gr also, the cost is about the same as Hornady. But when it's all you can get sometimes......
The factory loads they put out have worked really good for me YMMV. Made in Serbia.

Last edited by doubleDs55; 05/21/21. Reason: Add conditions

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like Hornady's 75 gr. BTHP, shoots great out of my 223 on top of Leverevolution powder. It does give good penetration, so far 3 deer all exits with few fragments in the far side. Not the widest wound channels but dead deer nonetheless.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rickt300
I like Hornady's 75 gr. BTHP, shoots great out of my 223 on top of Leverevolution powder. It does give good penetration, so far 3 deer all exits with few fragments in the far side. Not the widest wound channels but dead deer nonetheless.

That powder has been on my mind to try, as I have a bit of it. I actually don't like it much in my 30-30 because i use lighter bullets in it.
What is a good starting point with it and 75 Hornady's.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.