Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That was amazing. I use to be one of the kids farmers would call to bail hay for $2 an hour back in the early 70's. Kept me busy in the summer. My favorite job was working the wagon stacking the bails behind the bailer. Working in the haymow in the barn was the worse especially when it was hot. To watch an operation like this just makes my head spin. Way cool. Thanks for posting.

3825 24336
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mart
Haying season was one of my favorite times growing up on the dairy farm. Great sense of well being seeing the barn full of hay for the oncoming winter.

I remember being just out of third grade, 1967, and Dad was mounting a side mounted mower on an 8n Ford just prior to our first cutting of hay. He had bought a longer bar mower and needed to drill new holes in the tractor frame to mount it. He had one of those old Black and Decker 1/2 inch drills. The old power house type that if you stuck the drill bit it would either break the bit or break your arm. Well the bit stuck and broke and a shard of it hit him in the right eye. He ended up in the hospital and lost the eye. Right when he needed to be getting his hay in.

That was one of my earliest lessons in what it meant to be part of a farming family and a farming community. Within days family and neighbors started showing up with equipment and bodies. In three days they but up the entire first cutting. My uncle, who worked a full time maintenance job at the school, was there every morning and evening to milk with my mom. Dad was restricted to lifting five pounds or less for several weeks so he could only do small chores and babysit while mom did the major chores. I was the oldest and did everything I could, but at 8 years old was somewhat limited in what I could do. Older cousins and neighbors came by a few times a week to clean barn gutters and help with whatever needed attention.

Dad was able to drive tractor for the second cutting, though his loss of depth perception caused him some real challenges at first. The second cutting was a smaller repeat of the first. Not quite so many people were needed but still a good sized crew arrived to help get in the second cutting. That put us in good shape for the winter.

Dad always went out of his way to help his neighbors and family. It was part of his nature even before the loss of the eye but became even more so after the accident. I don't think I recall him ever turning down neighbor or family when asked for help.

Great story and thank the Lord for friends and family!

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hated hay season. Got easier when my boss bought an old kick baler and put conveyors in the barn. Liked it even more when I seen the round baler hooked up when I rode onto the farm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought two John Deere square balers for my kids last year. They are 8,10, and 12. By the time they are teenagers hopefully we can have a decent little hay operation going for making a some side money.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by deflave
Easy to do when you only work three months out of the year.

Not into agriculture, are you?

No I always had a job.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lol

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

That would be three more months a year than you do, you drunken, retarded, pissweasel.

You’re not going to pretend to have a working farm are you?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mirage243

Might be the dumbest sheit you ever posted here. 😁😁😁

“Full time farmer” is code for “sometimes I work.”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That would be three more months a year than you do, you drunken, retarded, pissweasel.

You mean like you pretending your blow up doll is a wife?

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mart
Haying season was one of my favorite times growing up on the dairy farm. Great sense of well being seeing the barn full of hay for the oncoming winter.

I remember being just out of third grade, 1967, and Dad was mounting a side mounted mower on an 8n Ford just prior to our first cutting of hay. He had bought a longer bar mower and needed to drill new holes in the tractor frame to mount it. He had one of those old Black and Decker 1/2 inch drills. The old power house type that if you stuck the drill bit it would either break the bit or break your arm. Well the bit stuck and broke and a shard of it hit him in the right eye. He ended up in the hospital and lost the eye. Right when he needed to be getting his hay in.

That was one of my earliest lessons in what it meant to be part of a farming family and a farming community. Within days family and neighbors started showing up with equipment and bodies. In three days they but up the entire first cutting. My uncle, who worked a full time maintenance job at the school, was there every morning and evening to milk with my mom. Dad was restricted to lifting five pounds or less for several weeks so he could only do small chores and babysit while mom did the major chores. I was the oldest and did everything I could, but at 8 years old was somewhat limited in what I could do. Older cousins and neighbors came by a few times a week to clean barn gutters and help with whatever needed attention.

Dad was able to drive tractor for the second cutting, though his loss of depth perception caused him some real challenges at first. The second cutting was a smaller repeat of the first. Not quite so many people were needed but still a good sized crew arrived to help get in the second cutting. That put us in good shape for the winter.

Dad always went out of his way to help his neighbors and family. It was part of his nature even before the loss of the eye but became even more so after the accident. I don't think I recall him ever turning down neighbor or family when asked for help.

Mart,

That is a well-told story. Our neighbors were a great lot with the exception of one little bastard that would take all the help he could get and then bitch about how poorly things were done.

Your memory of the feeling of satisfaction when the barns were packed with hay and straw and the cribs were all filled with ear corn, mirrors some of my happiest times. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
lol

Sure took you long enough.....where you been.....pretending to be making hay while sun still shines....

Deflave is killing me....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The average farm size has increased by about 7x since I was as kid. We have some operations 70000 acre plus now. In 40 years that will likely be an average size farm.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You mean like you pretending your blow up doll is a wife?

I know every third year you manage to bale enough weeds to say you’re a “farmer.”

Just wasn’t sure if this was an on or off year for ya.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

Whats a piss weasel?

Thats a good one.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I, like most, threw a lot of hay bales in the summer years ago. That video made me tired.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by TXLoader

Got to agree with the above calling this out. Almost sounds as bad as Biden's ignorant comment about farming.
You sure you don't mean Bloomberg? He's the citiot who said something about toss a few seeds on the ground, water 'em and yer a 'farmer'... That boy wouldn't know a farm if he was dropped into the manure lagoon..

Even good quality hay takes a year-round grooming of the fields to keep poisonous weeds and insects out. An infestation of blister beetles will absolutely ruin a hay farmer's reputation, hindering the ability to command top dollar for the hay for years.

Also, hay is not harvested only once a season, unless the farmer is in a particularly arid or short season region. In many areas, it is not uncommon to get a second cutting late summer. If the rains are plentiful, the hay farmer can get a third cutting in a season.

Two to three cuttings/year, plus field maintenance? That's a 24/6, year-round proposition there.

Hay production might arguably be the "easiest" and least-expensive of the agricultural endeavors a farmer might commit his land to, but it is hardly a 3 month work season.
Hay production around here starts in very early April, with the new seeding fields, and doesn't get done until nearly October 1st.. The farm I work part-time for takes four crops off, every 28 days, and sometimes part of a 5th when a particular field is to be plowed under and rotated into something else.. My guess is we start first crop chopping here by next week some time.

Citiot!

Hope you dont mind Lee, I'm gonna use that one.
Its too darn good to let sit.

"Things would be a dam sight better around here without the
Baltimorons and the Citiots from DC!"

Yep, it works!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

Whats a piss weasel?

Thats a good one.

I've heard WD-40 called Weasel-piss.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a tractor! Big Tractor Link

From memory, I think it plowed an acre every 12 seconds.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/18/21.

1Minute
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

Whats a piss weasel?

Thats a good one.

I've heard WD-40 called Weasel-piss.

Grandpa called it squaw piss.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That’s some serious ignorance, there.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 05/18/21.
Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

621 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,326
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.