Print Thread
Hop To
D
Deans Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looking at these tires for my pickup. F150 King Ranch FX4 CC and would appreciate your opinion. Right now the original tires are still on and have a little over 38000 on them. Taking a trip to Colorado in July and have a little concern if they will handle the mountains around Denver.

TIA

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a set of AT3 tires on my wife's CUV, and have used them on dry gravel roads a handful of times but don't have enough miles with them to really have an definitive opinion. Plus, these are not LT tires.

What I can say is that they don't seem to cut or chunk, and I have run them hard on gravel at higher speeds and wheel spin. They are louder than I expected for a newer tread design, but vibe seems pretty good. I have not used them in snow or mud.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Toyo ATIIIs are great tires. I'll be putting a set on my Bronco this summer as soon as I take delivery. Made in the USA.
Another great made in the USA option in the same category would be the Cooper AT3s.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So far, so good on my Sequoia. Do very well in the mud, though I do run skinnier tires. They have about 10k miles on them - too early to tell on longevity. As stated, they have a little bit of road noise (more than the Cooper AT3,) but they are also more aggressive and better in the mud. They gave me no trouble in the snow/ice this winter, but my experience wasn’t extensive.

This is as the sit right now. We are dealing with some snotty clay right now with some much needed rain the last couple of days - praise the Lord! I’m not a tire-spinner unless need be, so they’re not “cleaned out”... just idle right down the road without much drama.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a set on my pickup. 275/70R18 LT E. Not many miles on them yet, but has been a mix of highway, snow, gravel & mud. Time will tell, but so far very pleased with them.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use them on my Ram 1/2 ton and my Jeep Cherokee, I have E rated (10 ply) on the Ram and 6 ply on the Cherokee. I got 45000 miles out of the set on the Ram and am still trying to wear out the ones on the Cherokee. I do lots of gravel, dirt two-tracks, and windy pavement driving. They performed great in snow and mud but they have poor traction on ice, not unlike most other high-mileage wear tires since the rubber compound is hard in order to make them wear better. They ride as well, or better, than other E-rated tires I have used, they are good enough that I bought another set when I wore out the first ones.

caveat - I do rotate every 5000 miles, some friends who do not rotate as often complain about lesser mileage wear wear.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drover
I use them on my Ram 1/2 ton and my Jeep Cherokee, I have E rated (10 ply) on the Ram and 6 ply on the Cherokee. I got 45000 miles out of the set on the Ram and am still trying to wear out the ones on the Cherokee. I do lots of gravel, dirt two-tracks, and windy pavement driving. They performed great in snow and mud but they have poor traction on ice, not unlike most other high-mileage wear tires since the rubber compound is hard in order to make them wear better. They ride as well, or better, than other E-rated tires I have used, they are good enough that I bought another set when I wore out the first ones.

caveat - I do rotate every 5000 miles, some friends who do not rotate as often complain about lesser mileage wear wear.

drover

drover,

Are you on the AT2 or AT3? The ATIII just came out in March.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Wrongside

drover

drover,

Actually the AT3 has been around longer than that. Maybe not in Canada though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

drover

drover,

Thanks. You’re correct. I meant to say March 2020. I believe it was around then for the USA introduction? smile

Yeah. Availability up here was much later. I finally got a set last April. Still aren’t seeing many of them here. Mostly Duratracs, KO2s and Falkens.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Wrongside; 05/19/21.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had them on the wife’s sequoia we just traded off. Bought a Landcruiser, and when it’s ready for new tires it’ll get Toyo AT3’s

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a set of the at2 extreme 10 ply 35's and they are bomb proof. 40K miles, they might have that much left in them on a 1/2 ton.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picked the AT3s over the Nittos because of the 50,000 mile warranty . They are snowflake rated . 295 55 20 .

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

drover

drover,

Thanks. You’re correct. I meant to say March 2020. I believe it was around then for the USA introduction? smile

Yeah. Availability up here was much later. I finally got a set last April. Still aren’t seeing many of them here. Mostly Duratracs, KO2s and Falkens.

How do you like them in deep snow? I ran Firestone AT tires for awhile and loved them on snow packed and icy roads, but they left me stuck a time or two in deep stuff so I went to a MT and had them siped. Now I get though the deep stuff and have good control on the more slippery conditions,

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have the AT3 on both outfits. The AT3 has been great in deep snow but not so good on ice, I had my first set siped and chose not to on the second set. I cannot tell any difference in how they grip on ice, sipped or unsipped they are both prone to not having good traction on icy surfaces.

But as I said earlier I am satisfied enough with them that I bought them again, I just use caution on icy surfaces.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They are a good tire but as others have said not great on ice. I have M55 on a couple farm trucks for their durability. On my daily driver I'm on my second set of General grabbers. They are decent on ice IMO. Overall I'm quite pleased with them. I can't put winter tires on anymore because of the course gravel they put on my road .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

drover

drover,

How do you like them in deep snow? I ran Firestone AT tires for awhile and loved them on snow packed and icy roads, but they left me stuck a time or two in deep stuff so I went to a MT and had them siped. Now I get though the deep stuff and have good control on the more slippery conditions,
So far I haven’t had them in deep snow. 6” deep max and they performed well. Quite a bit better than the ATIIs I had on the truck previously. But they’re a bit more aggressive than the older model, so not really surprising. I have a set of studded DuraTracs for winter tires, but might leave these ATIIIs on late this fall, just to try them out in deeper snow and on ice.

I have the AT3 on both outfits. The AT3 has been great in deep snow but not so good on ice, I had my first set siped and chose not to on the second set. I cannot tell any difference in how they grip on ice, sipped or unsipped they are both prone to not having good traction on icy surfaces.

But as I said earlier I am satisfied enough with them that I bought them again, I just use caution on icy surfaces.

drover

Thanks for the feedback, drover. (man you put a lotta miles on your trucks wink ) Sounds like they aren’t light years ahead of the ATII on ice.

Last edited by Wrongside; 05/20/21.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.