Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few weeks ago, a 6th grade girl shot 3 people at the Rigby Middle School. This is a writeup about the teacher who disarmed her. That's one messed up kid. Because of her age, we'll likely never hear anything more about her.

RIGBY — When a student opened fire at an Idaho middle school, teacher Krista Gneiting directed children to safety, rushed to help a wounded victim and then calmly disarmed the sixth-grade shooter, hugging and consoling the girl until police arrived.

Parents credited the math teacher’s display of compassion with saving lives. While two students and the school custodian were shot May 6, all three survived, and the gunfire was over within minutes. Gneiting’s family says bravery and empathy are just part of who she is.

In an interview with ABC News that aired Wednesday, Gneiting said she was preparing her Rigby Middle School students for their final exams when she heard the first gunshot down the hall. She looked outside her classroom and saw the custodian lying on the floor. She heard two more shots as she closed the door.

“So I just told my students, ‘We are going to leave, we’re going to run to the high school, you’re going to run hard, you’re not going to look back and now is the time to get up and go,’” Gneiting said in the interview shown on “ Good Morning America.”

Police said a sixth-grade girl brought the handgun in her backpack and shot two people inside the school and one outside. All three were wounded in their limbs and released from the hospital within a few days.

Gneiting said she was trying to help one of the students who had been shot when she saw the girl holding the gun. She told the wounded student to stay still and approached the sixth-grader.

“It was a little girl, and my brain couldn’t quite grasp that,” she said. “I just knew when I saw that gun, I had to get the gun.”

She asked the girl, “Are you the shooter?” and then walked closer, putting her hand on the child’s arm and sliding it down to the gun.

“I just slowly pulled the gun out of her hand, and she allowed me to. She didn’t give it to me, but she didn’t fight,” Gneiting said. “And then after I got the gun, I just pulled her into a hug because I thought, this little girl has a mom somewhere that doesn’t realize she’s having a breakdown and she’s hurting people.”

Gneiting held the girl, consoling her until police arrived.

“After a while, the girl started talking to me, and I could tell she was very unhappy,” Gneiting said. “I just kept hugging her and loving her and trying to let her know that we’re going to get through this together. I do believe that my being there helped her because she calmed down.”

Once police got there, Gneiting told the girl that an officer would need to put her in handcuffs, and the child complied.

“She didn’t respond, she just let him. He was very gentle and very kind, and he just went ahead and took her and put her in the police car,” she said.

The girl has been charged in the shooting, but because juvenile court proceedings are kept sealed in Idaho, neither her name nor the nature of the charges has been released.

Gneiting’s brother-in-law, Layne Gneiting, said that when he first heard about the shooting, he thought Krista Gneiting’s inner “mother bear” had sprang into action to protect the students. He soon realized it was another side of her strong parental instinct.

“Krista is a born mother,” Layne Gneiting wrote in a Facebook post shortly after the shooting. “Mess with her kids she’ll rip you apart. Need a hug she’ll hold you for hours, mingling her tears with yours ... Determination pushed her to act, but tenderness and motherly love — not force — lifted the gun from the girl’s hands to hers.”

Krista Gneiting, meanwhile, said she hopes people can forgive the girl and help her get the support she needs.

“She is just barely starting in life and she just needs some help. Everybody makes mistakes,” she told ABC News. “I think we need to make sure we get her help and get her back into where she loves herself so that she can function in society.”

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks RC. I have not found any info on this.

Have you seen anything else to indicate the conditions which precipitated this tragedy?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
These kids today have it way worse than we did.

Glad for the teacher however.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good follow up. Makes me wonder how much of this could be avoided if the parents were involved a little more.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank God I no longer have to raise any children, can't imagine doing it in today's world.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
good post RC.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone needs a hug.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks, how effed up things have become when a 12 y/o girl sees this as her only recourse in life.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Outside of 24/7 news cycle and social media, how is it worse?

My grade 3 teacher was physically abusive and the kids who had failed 2 grades were big bullies, physically and verbally. I didn't take a gun to school. I didn't stab them with my pocket knife. There were physical fights in the playgriund sometimes.

It took some time, junior high, but I somewhat got even with JW. I thought I was in for a fight when I spiked the volleyball through his block and hit full on his nose. JW shook his head, llooked at me and said "good hit". I don't remember him bothering me much after that.

In high school, there was two Jansen brothers. Dan was a year older and built like a large man. Tall, broad and tough. His little brother was much smaller and a year younger than me. He was a brat because he operated under Dan's protection. The little twerp was walking up the stairs behind me. He thought it was funny to grab my foot and try to trip me. I told him to smarten up, but he didn't. I got to a landing and turned around, he looked at me with impunity knowing I couldn't do anything for fear of Dan. I told him to stop and shoved his shoulder. I don't recall shoving hard, but the little twerp took flight down the whole flight of stairs and landed in the corner, bounced off the wall and slumped to the ground. I could see a possible beating from Dan because he said he was telling Dan. I next met Dan in intramural volleyball. He stared at me through the net and said he had heard I had pushed his brother down the stairs. I told him what happened. He shook his head like OK. That was the end of it. Maybe he was tired of the twerp too?

Life wasn't always easy in the 70s also, but we didn't shoot or stab people.

Last edited by AB2506; 05/20/21.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Thanks RC. I have not found any info on this.

Have you seen anything else to indicate the conditions which precipitated this tragedy?
No, and I don't expect to. Unless someone leaks her name, no one will be able to investigate how it came about. Her friends ( if any) know who she is, of course but I would hope that reporters wouldn't go after them for info. Even in Idaho, the press is quite liberal so it could happen.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember as a kid we never locked up the guns, always had access. But as a parent and now a grandparent, guns are locked up when we have visitors. Really suxs that she thought her only choice was to take a gun.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by slumlord
Everyone needs a hug.

What's that?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by AB2506

My grade 3 teacher was physically abusive and the kids who had failed 2 grades were big bullies, physically and verbally. I didn't take a gun to school. I didn't stab them with my pocket knife. There were physical fights in the playgriund sometimes.

It took some time, junior high, but I somewhat got even with JW. I thought I was in for a fight when I spiked the volleyball through his block and hit full on his nose. JW shook his head, llooked at me and said "good hit". I don't remember him bothering me much after that.

In high school, there was two Jansen brothers. Dan was a year older and built like a large man. Tall, broad and tough. His little brother was much smaller and a year younger than me. He was a brat because he operated under Dan's protection. The little twerp was walking up the stairs behind me. He thought it was funny to grab my foot and try to trip me. I told him to smarten up, but he didn't. I got to a landing and turned around, he looked at me with impunity knowing I couldn't do anything for fear of Dan. I told him to stop and shoved his shoulder. I don't recall shoving hard, but the little twerp took flight down the whole flight of stairs and landed in the corner, bounced off the wall and slumped to the ground. I could see a possible beating from Dan because he said he was telling Dan. I next met Dan in intramural volleyball. He stared at me through the net and said he had heard I had pushed his brother down the stairs. I told him what happened. He shook his head like OK. That was the end of it. Maybe he was tired of the twerp too?

You could stand up for yourself and tune up a bully.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

A friend of mine had to go to a lot of trouble getting his son's record cleared after he got caught up in the zero tolerance bullshit. Thankfully there were witnesses, including faculty I believe, to the fact that the boy tried twice to walk away from the situation before he settled the hash of a jerk who had a long rap sheet.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by mathman

A friend of mine had to go to a lot of trouble getting his son's record cleared after he got caught up in the zero tolerance bullshit. Thankfully there were witnesses, including faculty I believe, to the fact that the boy tried twice to walk away from the situation before he settled the hash of a jerk who had a long rap sheet.

Bullies are mostly a protected class.

In fact....in some areas....being a bully is seen as a "disability" and are treated the same as autistic kids.

In other words....not responsible for their actions.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bull s h I t.
Fugkc I grew up in the 70's and 80's.
Lots of bullies..whether they were super popular jocks or stoners.
We never twisted off with guns.
These kids were raised by modern snowflakes that taught them that they were special....somehow better that everyone else.
What a joke.

Proud NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

Nowadays, if you fight back you get punished worse than the bully.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

Absolutely.

Not only by the school board...but by everyone....even adults...on social media.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

Been that way for quite a while. My oldest son got caught up in that BS. I told the principal my son is absolutely allowed to stick up for himself and if I heard one word of retribution by the school that I would be bringing the sheriff into the discussion and press charges against the tard who started it. That ended that bullschit right then and there.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good Job

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 808 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.